LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Obviously to me nothing, however, if you want and expect ownership to one day go over the the luxury tax threshold to put a champion caliber team on the court, you can understand why revenue is a positive thing. As for the snowflake part, this is pretty much why people can't stand you, but you knew that already.

It certainly is "worth" more to lots of parties involved, but Dom majored in English, not economics. The City of Orlando owns the facility and they lease it to the Magic. The City receives most of the concession income, and the amount of the lease is based on that income and the extra revenue of local tax that is generated by the businesses who make more money when there are large crowds, and city owned parking facilities. Small crowds mean higher lease payments. Small crowds mean less money for the Magic from ticket sales. It also has worth to the people who sell the concessions because most of them are paid on a percentage. There is also worth in large crowds in regards to attracting and retaining star players, and not just monetary worth. Television money pays most of the bills now, but if you have to go over the cap to sign big names to come to a small market city, the money has to come elsewhere. On another note, his childish name calling games will never cease as long as he believes he can actually stay hidden behind his anonymous user ID. Now, stay out of the sun or else you'll melt.

Obviously to me nothing, however, if you want and expect ownership to one day go over the the luxury tax threshold to put a champion caliber team on the court, you can understand why revenue is a positive thing.

This is called "moving the goalposts".

As for the snowflake part, this is pretty much why people can't stand you, but you knew that already.

As yes. "People think X".

"People want Y"

It's super easy because you get to make reference to a majority without ever having to prove it exists.

I mean, if you want to insult me, be my guest, but it's pretty pathetic to project your opinions onto other, in this case imaginary, people to try to give them more weight.

yea I mean, I'm totally okay with that viewpoint. I hope it works out, but if it doesn't EVERYONE here will say it was a horrible trade. I'm already questioning the trade, but as I understand the board thinks Rob can do no harm so whatever.

Remember when the Arenas trade was an absolute steal by Otis?

It certainly is "worth" more to lots of parties involved, but Dom majored in English, not economics.

I majored in neither of those things.

The City of Orlando owns the facility and they lease it to the Magic. The City receives most of the concession income, and the amount of the lease is based on that income and the extra revenue of local tax that is generated by the businesses who make more money when there are large crowds, and city owned parking facilities. Small crowds mean higher lease payments. Small crowds mean less money for the Magic from ticket sales.

That is how a lease works, yes.

It also has worth to the people who sell the concessions because most of them are paid on a percentage.

Are you implying that the Magic's GM should make roster decisions based on selling more popcorn?

There is also worth in large crowds in regards to attracting and retaining star players, and not just monetary worth.

The two years before Lebron and Bosh signed in Miami, the Heat had had back to back years at 15th in league attendance, and that's even AFTER some of the most obvious and blatant numbers padding ever seen by man.

Television money pays most of the bills now, but if you have to go over the cap to sign big names to come to a small market city,

Citation needed.

the money has to come elsewhere.

Yeah, it'd be so much easier if NBA teams were massively profitable, even when they're terrible.

On another note, his childish name calling games will never cease as long as he believes he can actually stay hidden behind his anonymous user ID.

.....Are you kidding me?

Now, stay out of the sun or else you'll melt.

I have no idea what this means.

yea I mean, I'm totally okay with that viewpoint. I hope it works out, but if it doesn't EVERYONE here will say it was a horrible trade. I'm already questioning the trade, but as I understand the board thinks Rob can do no harm so whatever.

I think the reason the board has a good opinion of Rob is the fact he somehow got us productive assets out of the Dwight situation.

Vucevic, Harkless and now Fournier and Payton are all direct products of the Dwight trade with a 1st round pick still in the cupboard.

In less than two years he took us from horribly capped out to nearly $30M in cap space without giving up picks to get teams to take on bad contacts. That is itself a masterful effort in that he did not sacrifice our future to dig us out of the gigantic cap hole Otis had put us in.

His draft work has been good if not great when rated by most experts not named Pelton but drafts take time to truly see the results.

I was doubtful of his lack of experience but so far he really has given me no reasons to doubt him as a quality GM.

• Upvote 3

After giving the 76ers their 2017 1st round pick back in the AA trade, the Magic still have LAL 2017 1st round pick if it is 6 or worse. The 76ers pick was protected at 12 or worse.

This is called "moving the goalposts".

As yes. "People think X".

"People want Y"

It's super easy because you get to make reference to a majority without ever having to prove it exists.

I mean, if you want to insult me, be my guest, but it's pretty pathetic to project your opinions onto other, in this case imaginary, people to try to give them more weight.

How is giving a reason why it's important for the fanbase to be excited (revenue from increased tickets sales for future investment in players) moving the goalposts? I have no issue with someone disagreeing with me, it happens all the time and is part of posting on a message board, but address me as an adult and with respect as I'm quite certain you would if we were discussing this in person over a beer and keep the snowflake nonsense to yourself. It's a fairly simple request and I believe I speak for everyone in this regard.

and I believe I speak for everyone in this regard.

I believe I speak for everyone when I say that we'd all really like it if you'd stop thinking you speak for everyone.

Also: you REALLY need a new haircut. That fem-mullet is doing you absolutely no favors.

Back on point, the reason it's moving the goal posts is because my response was to your post claiming that getting the 8th seed totally gets "you," with you being the team, a bunch of stuff.

One of those things was excitement for the fanbase, but given that, and this is really obvious so I can't believe I'm having to explain it to you, a 10 win team playing before sell-outs won't magically be "better" at basketball than a 60 win team playing before 1000 people.

What you WANT is a team that you enjoy watching play, and would mortgage the future for a 5 year run of 45 win teams if it meant you had something to watch in the season that you found "exciting". That's obviously selfish nonsense, and I assume you know that, so you're left trying to mask that opinion in arguments about profitability for the franchise, ignoring that the franchise itself is already profitable AND ignoring that most of the value in owning a sports franchise is the long term increase in their value over time, which is why Donald Sterling, the worst professional sports owner since Ted Stepien, managed to just make an almost 2 billion dollar profit on the Clippers after getting run out of the league.

Honestly? I'd have a lot more respect for people making that argument, if you just said: "I'd rather the team be pretty good now with a pretty low ceiling than be routinely terrible for a shot at a much higher ceiling 3-5 years from now because I don't want to wait that long."

I mean, that argument implies the team owes you something more for the cost of your ticket than "play a basketball game in front of you", which they don't, but at least that kind of argument is honest. I want Tesla to sell me a Tesla Model S for a 50% loss, because then I could actually afford one. That's my honest want from Tesla motors. I could mask that by arguing it would be better for Tesla to have more electric cars on the road even if it meant a loss in the short term, but that would simply be a lie: The truth is I want them to sell cheaper Tesla Model Ss because I want a goddamned Model S, but can't afford one.