LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

The one thought that keeps popping in my head is that Rob selected Nicholson one spot ahead of him two years ago. Rob did have to deal with the Dwight crap that summer, and it was his first draft as a GM, but it still sticks out to me. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it has the feel of a panic move.

Didn't have the same roster. We had AA and JJ then. Nich filled a need.

And Chauncey Billups

And Tayshaun Prince

And Rip Hamilton

All of which we have none of.

People who keep comparing him to Kahwi Leonard (or now, Ben Wallace), keep acting like those teams didn't have much better talent surrounding those guys, something that we don't currently have.

And Rasheed Wallace.

All of those guys were roleplayers with the possible exception of Billups. Good players but not great players. The point I was making it that if Gordon's floor is a more athletic (and bigger) Ben Wallace then I'm happy with that pick. We aren't trying to win a championship next season. Next season is about player growth and seeing improvement on the court. We are probably 2 years away from conversations about contending....maybe one year away from the playoffs. So even if you don't think the players listed above aren't on the roster - and I personally think you are off on that assessment - it doesn't matter because the Magic still have 2 years of development and additional player acquisition (including a crap ton of cap space) to go before we reach that point.

BTW, I don't think that is Gordon's floor simply because he can finish at the rim. Something Wallace could never do with any consistency. Still, the Pistons won a championship by starting a guy at center that was a complete non factor on the offensive end.

I like "Chef" because Aaron just described him as the unknown small school guy at the Team USA U19 team who was just "cookin" the court.

Hope he's more athletic than "Chef" from South Park

And Rasheed Wallace.

All of those guys were roleplayers with the possible exception of Billups. Good players but not great players. The point I was making it that if Gordon's floor is a more athletic (and bigger) Ben Wallace then I'm happy with that pick. We aren't trying to win a championship next season. Next season is about player growth and seeing improvement on the court. We are probably 2 years away from conversations about contending....maybe one year away from the playoffs. So even if you don't think the players listed above aren't on the roster - and I personally think you are off on that assessment - it doesn't matter because the Magic still have 2 years of development and additional player acquisition (including a crap ton of cap space) to go before we reach that point.

BTW, I don't think that is Gordon's floor simply because he can finish at the rim. Something Wallace could never do with any consistency. Still, the Pistons won a championship by starting a guy at center that was a complete non factor on the offensive end.

Well Said! I for one could have done a lot more research on Gordon, before taking the position of disappointment and confusion regarding his selection!! These are teenagers with man like skill sets...... that will only improve!!! I believe!!! Another very good post Dude!

And Payton's weaknesses are relatively poor performances against elite teams. He doesn't have that highlight performance that Lillard did. Overstating his performances in the sunbelt and workouts will be the reason this pick fails, not body language.

I don't think Lillard played very many good teams in his senior year and I remember him having bad games vs. Cal and BYU

I don't think Lillard played very many good teams in his senior year and I remember him having bad games vs. Cal and BYU

Yeah I posted later that I confused him with McCollum

Remember last year when everybody wanted McLemore? Trust Rob Hennigan... or don't and be quiet about it until games start and there's a reason to hate on these kids. At the very least, next years Magic may be the most athletic team we've ever had here. That in itself is extremely exciting. I did the same WTF as everyone else when I saw Gordon get picked, but the more I look at it and think about it I'm very intrigued to see what our next moves may be. And on a seperate note... dearest mods, it's time for some new smileys. not to get rid of the classic like Grumpy Stan and Sweet Lew, but to liven up the joint with some Victor mid-song, or Elfrid Payton's hair...

Watching Gordon scouting vids (like the one below), kiddo strikes me as a really smart player. Just another guy like Oladipo that just knows how to play. He might not be a 20/10 guy, but I don't think 15/8 is out there, along with all the intangibles and good defense.

I'm liking the pic. Glad we didn't keep Fran II. He might be amazing, but that was just a little too risky post "The Big Douche."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MeP9bTv_90

Payton, too, looks like he has amazing defensive instincts.

Might be a problem scoring points next season, but our defense will be pretty good moving forward.