LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I don't mind our draftees but I wanted a combination of smart/exum with saric.

I hate the fact that we gave a future first on this draft to move up 2 spaces.

I hate afflalo trade..Fournier is a decent piece and will likely had been a top 15 pick on this draft but he is just a bench role player on our team.

We are too young!

Honestly, I think we regress here as a team. Last year team was better. This is my honest opinion.

I still like the potential on the team..but I hate to continue using the "potential" on this team..I am tired of living the future..I want to live the present and I want to compete now.

What is going to happen when all this 20, 21 and 22 year old guys become free agents at the same time? We can't afford all.

Hopefully we sign a good offensive vet. In free agency. We have to..

Don't want to be another lottery team next year..

I love this team and I want to see them win. Letting afflalo go like that really worries me a bit.

David Thorpe:

Aaron Gordon's ceiling: Blake Griffin

Aaron Gordon's floor: Kenneth Faried

I will take that ceiling and floor every day of the week!

I've been as high on exum as anyone but I also like Payton (just not as much as exum). I think he's a carbon copy of Smart.

When you look at the guys who immediately trailed pick 12 I think I'd rather have Gordon and Payton than exum and one of Saric/lavine/warren/payne/nurkic.

We could have had Exum/Smart at 4, then package 12 and AA and move up to take Gordon (Randle, Vonleh)

I said it prior to the draft but this draft is funny. I don't think anyone would have had a problem with us selecting Gordon with the 5th pick. In fact, I'm betting most of us would have been happy with it. But we pass up a point guard that everyone thought could be the next Penny and there is a near riot on this forum. The bottom line is that we know Hennigan scouted the crap out of both Exum and Smart. After all that scouting he decided he would rather take Gordon. I think that says a lot about Gordon and Payton to be honest.

The thing is I don't see how Gordon could be a bust. His absolute floor is a dominant defender with little offensive game. It wasn't that long ago that the Pistons won a championship with Ben Wallace. That is Gordon's floor. The dude can start in the NBA tomorrow because of his defense. And offense can be taught. Maybe he never becomes a good outside shooter but that doesn't mean he can't turn himself into an offensive threat. Tyson Chandler has made a career out catching passes for dunks. He was limited offensively but still found a way to become a threat on the floor. I don't think anyone can look at Gordon's athleticism and not envision him at least having that ability offensively.

Now lets go out on a crazy limb and assume the 19 year old kid actually improves......

Gordon will be much more offensively than Tyson Chandler ever was simply because of AG's athleticism. He'll get points every game from running out on the break with Payton and Oladipo. The rim protection we needed is also addressed by the AG pick.

All that said, I'll always wonder if we could have had an Exum-Vonleh PG-PF combo by holding on to Afflalo a little longer. IF (and that IF is based on speculation), Charlotte was really interested in Afflalo for the #9 pick as had been rumored (or for Afflalo and our #12 let's say), we could have taken Exum at 4 and Vonleh at 9. Again, all speculation because we don't know what went on behind the scenes. But, damn, that might have been a helluva draft and, IMO, a better outcome for the PG-PF combo we needed. I wasn't happy at the time the picks were made but I can kinda see how the pieces and skill sets fit. Who the hell scores from the outside consistently is still a very legit question.

If Rob chose Exum over Payton, then why not choose the superior Vonleh @ 4? Not as much of an athlete but still a good defender, better rebounder, better size and has an offensive game that's an order of magnitude better than the liability that Gordon has. Someone who might be David West with a three point shot is preferable to a less offensively talented Josh Smith.

I think people need to stop focusing on the fact we passed on Dante Exum or took Gordon a couple spots higher than most projected.

In my book Payton and Gordon are two of the top eight players in this draft. We still need a shooter to be found later but our perimeter D is going to be nothing short of awesome. You don't need a rim protector if they can't get to the rim!

We are still missing pieces but this will be a fun team to watch until we get a chance to fill those needs. Just get ready to see a lot of steals and dunks next year...no more plodding up the court.

• Upvote 7

My man, Aussie Magic Fan. Fancy seeing you here ; )

Now its all done and dusted I'm content with what we've got out of this draft and trades. I like our picks. Initially I thought we reached for Gordon and when we took Saric I almost had a heart attack, but the boys in the office made it right.

Henny's confidence on Gordon has me sold and Payton reeks of class. Fournier has some talent and Summer League will show what we have in Roy Devyn Marble. I'm pretty happy.

And chill out on Exum. As an Aussie, their has always been an interest, but he never had me sold. His weaknesses (shooting, decision making) will be exposed at the next level. We've done alright Magic fans. Just got to ride it out.

My man, Aussie Magic Fan. Fancy seeing you here ; )

Now its all done and dusted I'm content with what we've got out of this draft and trades. I like our picks. Initially I thought we reached for Gordon and when we took Saric I almost had a heart attack, but the boys in the office made it right.

Henny's confidence on Gordon has me sold and Payton reeks of class. Fournier has some talent and Summer League will show what we have in Roy Devyn Marble. I'm pretty happy.

And chill out on Exum. As an Aussie, their has always been an interest, but he never had me sold. His weaknesses (shooting, decision making) will be exposed at the next level. We've done alright Magic fans. Just got to ride it out.

I have to agree with you here...I'm not as excited as I was prior the draft but I have to move on and trust our management..There has to be a reason as to why they are clearing so much cap space..

Can't wait until free agency starts! Let's get excited again!

Let's bring Bledsoe!

• Upvote 1