LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

I'm also slightly disappointed the Magic couldn't get a 1st in a deal for Afflalo, but I'm guessing they like Fournier more than a guy they could get late in the 1st this year.

I just don't understand how we traded an 18ppg starting scorer for a back up player and a really late pick

There has to be more to come. Someone else pointed out that this allows us to take back more salary, maybe in a deal to move #12 higher, or simply acquire another first round pick like #7 by acquiring Nash for instance.

I think we could definitely offer 4 and 7 to the sixes for 3 and 10... that would be a nice trade for all parties involved... Especially if we can send the Trade Exception generated from the AA trade (Igouldala trade for denver) to LA for Nash... Hmm i hope this comes through... 3 and 12 will still be nice.

I just don't understand how we traded an 18ppg starting scorer for a back up player and a really late pick

Henny knows what he's doing bro. He saved a lot of money and acquired a very good YOUNG shooter.

I don't know if he "Evan" is a throw in, Cap move or coupled with the 56th pick will be packaged to some other NBA destination? I struggle with AA being in this deal, anyone else maybe, but no one (Magic Player) was more valued than AA for trade purposes.

Slightly confused by this one Henny!!! :rollbaby:/>

@WojYahooNBA

Joel Embiid's seriously in play for three spots in top part of lottery: 76ers (3), Celtics (6), Lakers (7), league sources tell Yahoo.

Chad Ford's Final Mock...

3Dante ExumPhiladelphia 76ers (19 - 63)COLLEGE: AustraliaHT: 6-6WT: 196POS: PG

There have been rumblings that the Sixers are seriously considering drafting Joel Embiid there. However, from what I can gather, this is likely a smoke screen to entice the Cavs to deal with them. Everyone believes that if the Cavs move down in the draft, it will be to land Embiid. While the Sixers like him, I think they're reluctant to commit to that timetable.

It sounds like Exum is now the heavy favorite there. He obviously plays the same position as rookie of the year Michael Carter-Williams. However, the Sixers believe the two can play together, and they continue to explore Carter-Williams trades that would land them a third pick in the top 10. The Lakers have strong interest in a package of Carter-Williams and Thaddeus Young for the No. 7 pick and Steve Nash. The Kings also have interest in a Carter-Williams deal.

Noah Vonleh is a dark horse here. They need a big who spreads the floor and helps Nerlens Noel on the defensive end. Vonleh is especially appealing, as there aren't great bigs available to them at the No. 10 pick. If the Sixers can't get another pick in the Nos. 5-8 range, they could decide to go ahead and take Vonleh here.

PLAYER CARD

4Noah VonlehOrlando Magic (23 - 59)COLLEGE: IndianaHT: 6-10WT: 247POS: PF

The Magic also have been trying to both move up and get another lottery pick, and they also are taking a long look at Embiid. They know they need an athletic rim protector. Nikola Vucevic has been great, but he doesn't provide the defense they seek in the middle. But there is concern in Orlando that Embiid's timetable won't work with what they are trying to build. If he misses the season and then essentially has his rookie year in 2015-16, they can't really expect him to start helping until 2016 at the earliest.

The Magic are also very keen on Exum, and I'm told they would likely select him if he's on the board. If he's gone and Embiid seems like too much of a risk, then it comes down to Vonleh and Marcus Smart.

Vonleh has intrigued them ever since having a stellar workout. His ability to stretch the floor and his ability to protect the rim make him a very good fit next to Vucevic. I think Vonleh has the edge, but it's very close. If the Magic took Smart here, I wouldn't be shocked.

PLAYER CARD

5Joel EmbiidBoston Celtics (25 - 57)COLLEGE: KansasHT: 7-0WT: 250POS: C

Embiid could go No. 3 to the Sixers (or to the Cavs in a Sixers-Cavs swap) or to the Magic at No. 4. But if he slides past both of those teams, there's an increasing belief that GM Danny Ainge won't let him slide further. Ainge always has been a gambler and has always emphasized having great assets, and Embiid has the potential to be a franchise center. There's also no one else on the board the Celtics are in love with.

There are caveats. The Celtics, like everyone else, are still gathering medical info. Sources say that the foot and back fractures aren't the only issues with Embiid's physical; there are several other issues that need to be addressed. The Celtics also are engaged in a number of different trade scenarios that could alter their plan (by either trading the pick or getting an established star who would necessitate getting a player in the draft who could help them now).

If the Celtics pass on Embiid, it sounds like this will be between Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon and Marcus Smart. The Celtics love Smart's toughness and think he can play with Rajon Rondo, as well as free them up to explore Rondo deals. Randle has picked up momentum in the organization as an upgrade over Jared Sullinger at the 4.