LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

Wiggins will be primarily a SG but can slide over to SF in smaller lineups.

I still think we end up with Exum.

Would love to see him still there at 4 but I can't see the Sixers passing on him.

Anyone with insider care to summarize Ford's latest article about Exum, with Pelton? Expecting it to be a good read.

Pelton crunched Exum's U19 numbers (equivalent to about 1/4 of an NCAA season), 2nd highest projected WARP (after Marcus Smart) and had a similarity score closest to Kyrie Irving. Rates well due to good assist/turnover ratio, young age and ability to get the line.

Here's what Ford had to say about where Exum might be drafted:

He's not in the mix for the Cleveland Cavaliers. With Irving firmly embedded at the point and more pressing needs at center and the wing, I think we can safely scratch him from going No. 1.

The Milwaukee Bucks are big fans of Exum. While they like Brandon Knight, they think he's more suited to play the 2-guard and think the combo of Exum and Knight together could be a potent one. The big question is whether he's a better option than Embiid or Parker. Parker gives them a go-to scorer, while the team believes strongly that Embiid would be a great fit next to Larry Sanders on the front line. If Milwaukee management had more job security, I think Exum would be their guy. But he might be too big of a risk given that new ownership just took control of the team.

The Philadelphia 76ers are Exum fans as well and if Wiggins is off the board, he's in the mix. They think Exum and Carter-Williams could play together in the backcourt, though it would not be a very good shooting tandem. I think the more obvious fit comes if they trade Carter-Williams, an idea I'm told they have bounced around.

But I think his best bet is with the Orlando Magic. They need a point guard and an Exum-Victor Oladipo backcourt could be a great one. Again, there are shooting concerns but I think at four, the Magic roll the dice on him.

• Upvote 1

Pelton crunched Exum's U19 numbers (equivalent to about 1/4 of an NCAA season), 2nd highest projected WARP (after Marcus Smart) and had a similarity score closest to Kyrie Irving. Rates well due to good assist/turnover ratio, young age and ability to get the line.

Here's what Ford had to say about where Exum might be drafted:

Thank you very much.

I thought this part was telling.

Smart's athleticism is apparent. He rebounded best from the guard spot and was a terror in the passing lanes as part of the USA's pressure defense, while shooting a high percentage around the rim. When translated, Smart rated as the best player in Prague. Ennis, by contrast, struggled with his outside shot and generated few assists in a shoot-first role.

Exum more than held his own. In particular, his ability to get to the free throw line stood out. He averaged more than seven free throw attempts per game. That ability to create off the dribble figures to translate very well to the NBA. Additionally, Exum managed to take good care of the ball given his role as playmaker. His 1.62 assist-to-turnover ratio was better than Smart (1.54), Ennis (1.02) and the other point guard at the U-19 Games who might get drafted this year, Serbian Vasilije Micic (1.19).

Good article if you have insider access.

ESPN Exum article

• Upvote 1

Exum both scares me and makes me excited.

I feel like now, this whole draft could end up being a crapshoot instead of the "guaranteed above average to superstar" lotto we thought it was a year ago.

Or it could end up being the 2003 draft again.

Who knows. I sure don't.

I miss you all.

I thought this part was telling.

Good article if you have insider access.

ESPN Exum article

Im already set on Exum because it's the best pick and makes the most sense the way the draft is flowing.

The real intrigue is if Rob can trade AA for another top 10 pick and get Gordon, then a SF.

Exum allows the Magic to get Stauskus and play him at SF offensively if they want.

So you think Wiggins with his frame is going to primarily be a SF? Because he will not. He is a SG, and that's pretty common knowledge. Plus you say that we could draft Hood. On a team with Harkless and Harris and Hood you think that Wiggins would still be primarily a SF?

LOL - no.

Stating it as fact does not make it fact catman; It is not common knowledge anyway, although I have no problem with him playing SG next to Hood or Harris for that matter-your point is lost and invalid. That being said he is not going to end up on our team but if he did then there would have to be some roster changes made, as he is far and away better than anything we have at either sg or sf...to make your statement about duplication of talent is asinine in not only mindset but logistics. There is literally no need to bring up what we have already on the roster-if Wiggins is there you grab him. Hood is about as good a shooter/scorer as there is in this draft given our draft positioning-that satisfies a serious need of this team. Anyone we have at those positions already are merely assets for better players.

Exum will be the pick anyway. No way Embiid doesn't go first and no way PHI doesn't pick Wiggins if he's available. If someone were to mistakenly pick Exum over Parker then we would have our needed scorer-but Harris would be out of a job.

Im already set on Exum because it's the best pick and makes the most sense the way the draft is flowing.

The real intrigue is if Rob can trade AA for another top 10 pick and get Gordon, then a SF.

Exum allows the Magic to get Stauskus and play him at SF offensively if they want.

Would love to move up and grab Gordon. He reminds me of Sean Marion during his Phoenix days.

He would be a good pairing with Harris since he can defend both PF and SF's.

Stating it as fact does not make it fact catman; It is not common knowledge anyway, although I have no problem with him playing SG next to Hood or Harris for that matter-your point is lost and invalid. That being said he is not going to end up on our team but if he did then there would have to be some roster changes made, as he is far and away better than anything we have at either sg or sf...to make your statement about duplication of talent is asinine in not only mindset but logistics. There is literally no need to bring up what we have already on the roster-if Wiggins is there you grab him. Hood is about as good a shooter/scorer as there is in this draft given our draft positioning-that satisfies a serious need of this team. Anyone we have at those positions already are merely assets for better players.

How is my point lost and invalid, and then asinine? How many negative words do you need to use to feel better about yourself?

Nothing changes with you.It is hilarious how you say something wrong, get called on it, and then still defend the point while spinning in a 360.

Wiggins/Hood/Harris/Harkless and Wiggins will primarily be a SF? No he will not.

Would love to move up and grab Gordon. He reminds me of Sean Marion during his Phoenix days.

He would be a good pairing with Harris since he can defend both PF and SF's.

Exum and Gordon would be almost as best case scenario as you can expect given our spots in the lotto. The only other better combo I could think of (perhaps) would be Wiggins and Randle, because we would have a full starting five thats very capable: Nik/Randle/Wiggins/AA/Vic. Add in a FA signing and thats a good team. Nik/Gordon/Harris/Vic/Exum is nice too though.

I'm good on Exum too. He makes the most sense and we could look back 5 years from now and say he was the best player in the draft (I suppose that could go either way though).

I too am most interested in trading affalo/Jameer/Xplayer to get back in the top 10. I would love exum, Gordon and hood. But I'm dreaming.

How is my point lost and invalid, and then asinine? How many negative words do you need to use to feel better about yourself?

Nothing changes with you.It is hilarious how you say something wrong, get called on it, and then still defend the point while spinning in a 360.

Wiggins/Hood/Harris/Harkless and Wiggins will primarily be a SF? No he will not.

You attacked first man, your point was lost on more than one count; first because you think that since we already have SF's that we shouldn't get BPA (in this contrived instance where Wiggins is available) and get a good scorer in Hood (for example) if available because we have Hark and Harris. Also, the logistics of your perspective is asinine (as already pointed out yet glossed over by you out of convenience), not your mindset-thats just small picture, but understandable. Wiggins will be a SF out the gate because of his defense. His ability to guard the other teams' best player alone will put him in the SF spot...in addition, his rawness on the offensive end would require another scorer next to him to lighten the burden (Shooting guard). The only exception to this would be a situation like Philly where personnel (Thad) dictates that he plays the SG while Young plays the tweener. He will be a good enough player where he could conceivably play 4 positions at times, but out the gate he will be a SF wherever he plays by way of his strengths/weaknesses. Your point was also lost because I never said he should just play SF, in fact mentioned him playing SG as well, so what the hell are you even arguing with me over? That's where it becomes invalid. What did I say that was wrong, what spinning do you see? You just trying to feel better about yourself?