LaVar

2014 Draft Thread

His not t-mac but neither was tracy mcgrady at that age.

18 year old T Mac was averaging per 36 minutes:

13.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.9 blocks on 45% shooting (35% shooting from 3) with a USG% less than 20 and only 2 TO's.

In the NBA, against grown men night in and night out.

18 year old Wiggins is averaging per 40:

19.2 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.2 steals, 1.2 blocks on 44% shooting (33% from 3) with a USG of 25% (ish) and 2.5 TO's.

Those numbers aren't too far off. Except Wiggins is playing against guys his own age who he is athletically superior to.

I can see the comparison and, if we draft him, I hope it comes off but I'm not holding my breath for Wiggins to suddenly become a future all star and scoring champion one night after he scored only 3 points in over 20 minutes of action.

Watched Ennis vs. Pitt. This kid is a true PG. He's not flashy at all, and his left handle needs to improve, but the ball never gets stuck in his hand. He also can shoot. I'd be fine snagging him with our second first rounder. Given his size, I think he'd be great next to Victor.

If we don't draft a PG with our top pick it's between Tyler Ellis and Jahii Carson for me. They're pretty different PG's who could both be a good fit depending on the style of play we want to run. Ellis has the edge for me because he's a much better pick and roll player.

18 year old T Mac was averaging per 36 minutes:

13.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1.5 steals, 1.9 blocks on 45% shooting (35% shooting from 3) with a USG% less than 20 and only 2 TO's.

In the NBA, against grown men night in and night out.

18 year old Wiggins is averaging per 40:

19.2 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.2 steals, 1.2 blocks on 44% shooting (33% from 3) with a USG of 25% (ish) and 2.5 TO's.

Those numbers aren't too far off. Except Wiggins is playing against guys his own age who he is athletically superior to.

I can see the comparison and, if we draft him, I hope it comes off but I'm not holding my breath for Wiggins to suddenly become a future all star and scoring champion one night after he scored only 3 points in over 20 minutes of action.

19.6 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists.

28.2 points, 6.5 rebounds, 5.9 assists.

One is Michael Jordan's stats as a 20 year old college junior. The other is his stats as a 21 year old NBA rookie.

The college and pro games are completely different. Shaq was a worse college player than Christian Laettner was. You can't make direct comparisons across them that way.

T-Mac was also told he would be out of the league after 3 years so there is that.

Also I keep reading that some of these guys are going to stay in school. I do not believe that for one second. They will all come out.

T-Mac was also told he would be out of the league after 3 years so there is that.

Also I keep reading that some of these guys are going to stay in school. I do not believe that for one second. They will all come out.

A coach is a complete jerk if he doesn't push a kid to go into the draft if he is a projected top 5 pick. You need to get to that second contract ASAP. The only way you stay is if you can improve your draft stock.

One is Michael Jordan's stats as a 20 year old college junior. The other is his stats as a 21 year old NBA rookie.

The college and pro games are completely different. Shaq was a worse college player than Christian Laettner was. You can't make direct comparisons across them that way.

Point taken. I retract my point.

I still say we should grab Adam Morrison.

I actually think there's a legitimate chance that one of Parker, Wiggins, Embiid isn't playing in the NBA next year. There have been reports that none of them are 100% sure of leaving (in fact Embiid is leaning towards staying if you believe reports) and even if Jabari Parker does leave there's a chance he'll decide to go on a Mormon mission and not play in the NBA next season anyway.

I actually think there's a legitimate chance that one of Parker, Wiggins, Embiid isn't playing in the NBA next year. There have been reports that none of them are 100% sure of leaving (in fact Embiid is leaning towards staying if you believe reports) and even if Jabari Parker does leave there's a chance he'll decide to go on a Mormon mission and not play in the NBA next season anyway.

This is why I have been cautious with Parker from the beginning. I know Mormons, I'm friends with a few. They are taught from a young age that their "Mission" is when a boy really becomes a man. It's a huge deal to them and completely frowned upon when a guy doesn't go. And for the record the mission is 2 years, not 1. That's 2 NBA seasons. Just something to monitor.

Personally, I wouldn't mind Parker one bit if he was BPA and he wanted to go on his mission. Sounds like someone that can represent our team and city very well. And hey, maybe we have a good team when he decides to join.