Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

The official UCF thread...

quote:
I have many reasons for disliking the Gators, but you touched on one of my biggest problems with Gator fans. During my time at UCF, I can't tell you how many UCF students I knew who would blow off a UCF game because it conflicted with a Gator game.

Even now, some of my friends who are Gator fans (but UCF alumni) will not attend certain UCF games because they conflict with UF.

I remember being able to count more Gator shirts on campus than UCF shirts.

At the Texas game on Saturday, a guy wearing a Gator shirt and hat sat down in front of me. I made a comment to him and his response was: "I may be wearing this, but I am here."

I told him he had a d@mn good point. I wish there were more like him.

The fact remains that UCF is for many students a backup plan to UF. The kid I was talking about, for example, failed out of UF and is now going to UCF.

Also, I was watching this program on MOJO last night about college football stadiums. Doak at FSU was at one time exactly like UCF's new place. They even called it the "erector set." But now it holds over 80,000 and is absolutely beautiful. So for those of you who aren't big fans of the new place, remember that we have to start somewhere!

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

We still have a ton of work to do. For example, I know someone who got a ticket to the Texas game through the student lottery but didn't go because the UF game was on at the same time.... And I'm sure there were more than one of those guys. Unacceptable.

I have many reasons for disliking the Gators, but you touched on one of my biggest problems with Gator fans. During my time at UCF, I can't tell you how many UCF students I knew who would blow off a UCF game because it conflicted with a Gator game.

Even now, some of my friends who are Gator fans (but UCF alumni) will not attend certain UCF games because they conflict with UF.

I remember being able to count more Gator shirts on campus than UCF shirts.

At the Texas game on Saturday, a guy wearing a Gator shirt and hat sat down in front of me. I made a comment to him and his response was: "I may be wearing this, but I am here."

I told him he had a d@mn good point. I wish there were more like him.

Did it go down something like this?

anchorman49.jpg

UCF Football Game Notes - The Memphis Game in PDF Format

Download Free Acrobat Reader

ORLANDO - UCF treated its fans to one of the most memorable weekends in school history when it opened Bright House Networks Stadium Sept. 15. Even though the Knights were unable to pull off the stunning upset in a 35-32 loss to the No. 6 Longhorns, fans wearing Black and Gold are anxious to return to the stadium for the Conference USA opener against Memphis Saturday at 3:30 p.m.

Against Texas, the attendance of 45,622 marked the fourth-largest crowd to watch a UCF football game, and it was dazzled by the rushing efforts of junior Kevin Smith. On 27 attempts, he broke out for 149 yards and two touchdowns. The nation's leading rusher, Smith has 366 yards through the first two outings and averages 5.9 yards per carry.

Memphis and UCF both bring identical 1-1 records into Saturday's match-up. The Tigers are coming off a 35-14 victory over Jacksonville State after falling to Ole Miss in week one, 23-21.

UCF Quick Hits

- CSS (Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast) will carry the Memphis contest at Bright House Networks Stadium, which will be the first of two games the network televises this year. CSS also is on tap to broadcast UCF's homecoming game against Marshall Nov. 3.

- UCF has reached the red zone on seven occasions in 2007 and has scored each time, including five touchdowns. Meanwhile, Memphis is 5-for-10 in red-zone conversions, all five of which have been TDs.

- The Knights own a two-game winning streak vs. the Tigers as they lead the series 2-1. Michael Torres provided UCF with four field goals at the Liberty Bowl in 2006, capped off by the game-winner with just 3:01 remaining for a 26-24 win.

A Special Anniversary

- Sept. 22 may be when UCF's next game takes place, but it also symbolizes an important date in Knight history. Twenty-nine years ago, UCF traveled to St. Leo and defeated the Lions 21-0 in the "Fighting Knights" first football game.

More Notes from the Ground

- Tailback Kevin Smith already has four touchdowns in 2007, which moved him into a tie for fifth on UCF's career list with 20. With two more gallops into the endzone, Smith will tie Mark Giacone for fourth. Also, with 2,478 career yards, he stands in fourth place in UCF history, needing just 92 more yards to surpass Marquette Smith for third.

Another Knight Climbing the Record Books

- Junior corner back Joe Burnett continued to solve opposing quarterbacks when he picked off his eighth-career pass Sept. 15 vs. Texas. Currently in a tie for third, Burnett is looking for one more to move into a tie for second at UCF with Reggie Edwards.

Not Young at All

- True freshman Lawrence Young has made his presence felt early in his UCF career. He has started both games for the Knights this season and has forced three turnovers, while collecting 14 tackles. Against No. 6 Texas, Young had five tackles and forced two fumbles that the Knights recovered.

http://ucfathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091807aaa.html

I think I am actually looking more forward to this game than last. I still think it will be packed and a bit chaotic, but I think this game will be more of an indicator of what our Saturday experiences will be on campus.

That Texas game and the atmosphere surrounding it is more of an aberration.

I was just reading the latest article about the UCF "Watergate" on the Sentinel's website. I then made the mistake of reading the comments posted about the article. It was fine until a few Gators started really bashing UCF. Then, when a UCF guy responded to them (God forbid!!), they ganged up on him and basically told him he had no right to respond.

I guess I missed the memo saying that a UF degree was comparable to a Harvard degree.

quote:

I think I am actually looking more forward to this game than last. I still think it will be packed and a bit chaotic, but I think this game will be more of an indicator of what our Saturday experiences will be on campus.

That Texas game and the atmosphere surrounding it is more of an aberration.

Your right... As of yesterday they were over 41,000 tickets sold. We all know how teams inflate the numbers, so we will see.

UCF 56, Memphis 20

Now THIS was nice! And very much needed. I had a much more pleasant experience at today's game, both the tailgating beforehand, and the game itself, than I did last week for Texas.

UCF didn't punt until the third quarter. At one point we led 49-0. We really needed a strong conference opening win like this.

I will stand by my assertion that we need to win 6 conference games and beat USF to have a stellar season. This was a great start.

quote:
beat USF to have a stellar season

Keep dreaming.........

I don't think UCF needs to beat USF to have a stellar season, I think if you guys win the CUSA that will be an above stellar season. Looking at the schedule, you could really have a 10 win season.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

quote:
beat USF to have a stellar season

Keep dreaming.........

I don't think UCF needs to beat USF to have a stellar season, I think if you guys win the CUSA that will be an above stellar season. Looking at the schedule, you could really have a 10 win season.

Trust me, as a student a UCF student, if we dont beat USF we didnt have a stellar season.

10 win season and loss against USF-Good Season

10 win season and win against USF-Stellar Season

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BNASTY89:

So where is the student section in the new place?

The South end zone...roughly 12,000 seats. And man, those students keep it hopping!

Hell yeah we were... 56-20... Nice!