Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

The official UCF thread...

quote:
I still think the Texas player was already out of bounds when he got "possession" of that fumble....

When watching the game the next day on my DVR I saw that on the fake FG that Texas ran the play clock had expired for about 3 seconds... Not that it would have mattered that much, but jeez, how do you miss that?

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:
I still think the Texas player was already out of bounds when he got "possession" of that fumble....

When watching the game the next day on my DVR I saw that on the fake FG that Texas ran the play clock had expired for about 3 seconds... Not that it would have mattered that much, but jeez, how do you miss that?

Haha thats funny cuz I did the same exact thing. God Bless DVR. Gotta see what u missed at the game. But your right I didnt notice the delay of game until I watched it on TV, you never know what could of happened if we push em back 5 more yards. And that fumble was a really really close call man. At least this was about as good as a loss as there could be.

O'Leary might use 2 QBs in Knights' C-USA opener

Kyle Hightower

Sentinel Staff Writer

September 18, 2007

When UCF senior Kyle Israel was named the Knights' starting quarterback before the season, it wasn't all that surprising.

Israel was the only quarterback on the roster who had taken any Division I snaps and was starting at the end of last season. His experience alone made him the logical choice for Coach George O'Leary.

But as the Knights prepare to open their Conference USA season at home against Memphis on Saturday afternoon, Israel's name is less in cement than it was a month ago.

Despite decent overall performances by the offense in the first two games against N.C. State and Texas, Israel's numbers have left more than a little to be desired, a strong second-half performance against the Longhorns notwithstanding. So O'Leary says he might return to the two-quarterback system he used last season with Israel and Steven Moffett as early as this weekend.

Israel likely will start, but he might not be the only quarterback to take a snap against the Tigers.

"I think [israel] was effective in a lot of different ways [against Texas], but we're not gonna get through the season playing one quarterback," O'Leary said. " ... [Junior-college transfer Michael] Greco's the second quarterback, and we need to get him playing time because it's a long year."

Greco, who originally signed with N.C. State in 2005, transferred to UCF after spending last season at Pearl River Community College (Poplarville, Miss.). Greco played only three games at Pearl before breaking his collarbone, but the left-hander's arm strength and athletic 6-foot-3 frame impressed O'Leary and his staff enough to include him in a signing class that included three quarterbacks.

With freshmen signees JoeWeatherfordand Nate Tice expected to take longer to develop, Greco seemed like the only new addition that would challenge Israel for time during fall camp. But Greco didn't throw a pass this fall until three weeks ago, when he received medical clearance for a chest injury this summer.

Since returning to a full practice regime, however, he quickly has moved into the two-deep behind Israel, impressing O'Leary and the Knights' staff with his strong arm and mobility in the pocket. How much he's been able to grasp the nuances of the offense remains to be seen after spending most of the preseason as a spectator.

Israel's biggest attribute always has been his usually strong decision-making and accuracy in the pocket. In his final two games of 2006 against Memphis and UAB, he posted two of the school's top 10 single-game completion percentages, including a 19-for-22, 270-yard, two-touchdown performance against UAB.

But after going a combined 21-of-50 in two games this season (9-of-26 against Texas) and leading the offense to a paltry performance on third down, O'Leary is looking to energize his offense. Asked about the problems in the passing game, Israel said after the Texas game that he takes the brunt of the blame for the early season deficiencies.

"I would say me," he said. "You know I can't really put my finger on it. ... We've had time to work on that, but that's something that comes with game experience. You can pass the ball as much as you want, but nothing can substitute for game experience. Now we've had two games, and I think that comes with time."

O'Leary said he isn't so much disappointed in Israel, as he is about how his recent play has translated into the offense's production on third down.

"It's Kyle's job," O'Leary said. "And we need to continue to get better in the passing game, but we can't be 3-for-15 on third down [against Texas]. That really concerns me. He's gotta keep us on the field. There's too many three-and-outs. We're just putting the defense in a lot of extra downs that they shouldn't have to be playing."

Israel has been most successful in O'Leary's offense throwing passes from 25 yards or closer. O'Leary said in the preseason that the nature of the game is calling for more "chunk plays" and big-play potential. Israel has shown flashes of being able to provide that, but he's going to have to prove it. And after two turnovers last week, he's going to have to get back to the mistake-free football that won him the job last season.

"For us to be successful and him to be successful, he can't go out there and force balls and throw balls into traffic," quarterbacks coach George Godsey said last month. "His best game last year, he was taking what the defense gave him, whether it was a 5-yard throw or a 25-yard throw. He's gotta mentally train himself to take what they give him and then worry about another down."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-fbcucf1807sep...,6190392,print.story

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

O'Leary might use 2 QBs in Knights' C-USA opener

Kyle Hightower

Sentinel Staff Writer

September 18, 2007

When UCF senior Kyle Israel was named the Knights' starting quarterback before the season, it wasn't all that surprising.

Israel was the only quarterback on the roster who had taken any Division I snaps and was starting at the end of last season. His experience alone made him the logical choice for Coach George O'Leary.

But as the Knights prepare to open their Conference USA season at home against Memphis on Saturday afternoon, Israel's name is less in cement than it was a month ago.

Despite decent overall performances by the offense in the first two games against N.C. State and Texas, Israel's numbers have left more than a little to be desired, a strong second-half performance against the Longhorns notwithstanding. So O'Leary says he might return to the two-quarterback system he used last season with Israel and Steven Moffett as early as this weekend.

Israel likely will start, but he might not be the only quarterback to take a snap against the Tigers.

"I think [israel] was effective in a lot of different ways [against Texas], but we're not gonna get through the season playing one quarterback," O'Leary said. " ... [Junior-college transfer Michael] Greco's the second quarterback, and we need to get him playing time because it's a long year."

Greco, who originally signed with N.C. State in 2005, transferred to UCF after spending last season at Pearl River Community College (Poplarville, Miss.). Greco played only three games at Pearl before breaking his collarbone, but the left-hander's arm strength and athletic 6-foot-3 frame impressed O'Leary and his staff enough to include him in a signing class that included three quarterbacks.

With freshmen signees JoeWeatherfordand Nate Tice expected to take longer to develop, Greco seemed like the only new addition that would challenge Israel for time during fall camp. But Greco didn't throw a pass this fall until three weeks ago, when he received medical clearance for a chest injury this summer.

Since returning to a full practice regime, however, he quickly has moved into the two-deep behind Israel, impressing O'Leary and the Knights' staff with his strong arm and mobility in the pocket. How much he's been able to grasp the nuances of the offense remains to be seen after spending most of the preseason as a spectator.

Israel's biggest attribute always has been his usually strong decision-making and accuracy in the pocket. In his final two games of 2006 against Memphis and UAB, he posted two of the school's top 10 single-game completion percentages, including a 19-for-22, 270-yard, two-touchdown performance against UAB.

But after going a combined 21-of-50 in two games this season (9-of-26 against Texas) and leading the offense to a paltry performance on third down, O'Leary is looking to energize his offense. Asked about the problems in the passing game, Israel said after the Texas game that he takes the brunt of the blame for the early season deficiencies.

"I would say me," he said. "You know I can't really put my finger on it. ... We've had time to work on that, but that's something that comes with game experience. You can pass the ball as much as you want, but nothing can substitute for game experience. Now we've had two games, and I think that comes with time."

O'Leary said he isn't so much disappointed in Israel, as he is about how his recent play has translated into the offense's production on third down.

"It's Kyle's job," O'Leary said. "And we need to continue to get better in the passing game, but we can't be 3-for-15 on third down [against Texas]. That really concerns me. He's gotta keep us on the field. There's too many three-and-outs. We're just putting the defense in a lot of extra downs that they shouldn't have to be playing."

Israel has been most successful in O'Leary's offense throwing passes from 25 yards or closer. O'Leary said in the preseason that the nature of the game is calling for more "chunk plays" and big-play potential. Israel has shown flashes of being able to provide that, but he's going to have to prove it. And after two turnovers last week, he's going to have to get back to the mistake-free football that won him the job last season.

"For us to be successful and him to be successful, he can't go out there and force balls and throw balls into traffic," quarterbacks coach George Godsey said last month. "His best game last year, he was taking what the defense gave him, whether it was a 5-yard throw or a 25-yard throw. He's gotta mentally train himself to take what they give him and then worry about another down."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-fbcucf1807sep...,6190392,print.story

FINALLY!!! Ive been dying to see Greco play. Hes got a lot of hype and he can run somewhere around a 4.4. I think Greco will take over the starting job before the year is done. I like Israel but he is too inconsistent. It should be interesting.

Here's the scary part...that actually could be me in about 20 years.

Oh man...I was so dizzy.

Attention everyone...don't forget, I have two tickets for sale to the UCF vs. Memphis game. Please let me know if you are interested.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

Here's the scary part...that actually could be me in about 20 years.

Oh man...I was so dizzy.

Attention everyone...don't forget, I have two tickets for sale to the UCF vs. Memphis game. Please let me know if you are interested.

Would you accept a dvd/vcr combo for a pair of tickets?