Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

The official UCF thread...

The first of many thrashings to be handed out at BHN Stadium.

As much as I want UCF to win, I don't see it happening, I wish they would have scheduled Florida State or Miami or Notre Dame (O'Leary's old team) to make it a more winnable game.

Neal expected to start after injury

Kyle Hightower

Sentinel Staff Writer

September 13, 2007

The Knights worked out behind closed gates Thursday, but continued preparations for Texas with a roster that continues to shrug off its first-week injury bug.

Junior CB Johnell Neal said the pulled hamstring that kept him on the sideline for the Knights' opener at N.C. State is fully healed.

Neal, the Knights' leading tackler in 2006, worked out with the team defense for the first time in a week and is expected to start against the Longhorns.

Texas thin on O-line

Across the map at Texas, the Longhorns have a major injury this week. As they look to improve on two less than Texas-like outings, the Longhorns might also have to make their first road trip without a key piece of their offensive line.

RT Adam Ulatoski left the Longhorns' win over TCU Saturday with an injured right elbow and has made little progress this week according to reports coming out of Austin.

Ulatoski had been besting Horned Frogs All-American DE Tommy Blake for most of the day before he twisted his arm in a play that ended with a Texas touchdown.

Texas was already thin on experience on the offensive line and will have to either play a freshman or move sophomore Chris Hall -- who has started the past two games at right guard -- to tackle.

NCAA head to attend

The luxury suites of UCF President John Hitt and Athletic Director Keith Tribble will have a lot of special guests hanging out during Saturday's home opener.

That list will include NCAA President Myles Brand and Conference USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky.

Scramble for tickets

With the announcement Tuesday of UCF's first ever sellout, Knights fans now have to scramble if they want to get their hands on tickets to Saturday's game.

One outlet for fans might be ucftickets.com, a message board-looking site which creator Brent Nau said was started "so UCF fans could have one place to buy, sell, or exchange UCF sporting tickets without any fees."

Tickets on eBay.com were being auctioned between $71 and $1,000 late Wednesday.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

Tickets on eBay.com were being auctioned between $71 and $1,000 late Wednesday.

I must say....I have four tickets to the game....if it wasn't for the fact that it would probably cost me three friends for life, I would sell three of them (and still go myself of course!) if I could get 3000 bucks.

quote:
I must say....I have four tickets to the game....if it wasn't for the fact that it would probably cost me three friends for life, I would sell three of them (and still go myself of course!) if I could get 3000 bucks.

Yep... Same situation.

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

Notre Dame (O'Leary's old team).

You know, he never lost a game at Notre Dame.

this is true...he just lost a few "friends"...thats all...

oh...and a little bit of $$$...

jussst a little bit...

but youre right...he never lost a game...

Bianchi: At last, a real home

Mike Bianchi

Sentinel Columnist

September 14, 2007

Got an e-mail a few days ago on the morning following UCF's upset victory against North Carolina State. It came from Afghanistan -- from Evan Siegel, a UCF alumnus and a lieutenant in the United States Air Force. Here's what it said:

I have been following the UCF [Golden] Knights since the Fall of '97, my freshman year at the school. I graduated in '02, and have continually gone through the heartache after heartache and ups and downs of the program.

I am in the U.S. Air Force, deployed to Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan. This is the first time that I have been on overseas duty during the football season, and it's a very uneasy feeling for me not having the capability to catch UCF games.

Anyway, I woke up this morning, and the first thing I did was check the Internet for the score of the N.C. State game. As you said in your article in today's paper, how the game progressed didn't matter to me. That 'W' is gonna carry me for a while (or at least the next two weeks)!!! This is a real exciting time for UCF football, especially with the upcoming game against Texas at our new stadium.

Keep up the honest outlook on the Knights for me in the Sentinel while I'm gone!

Very Respectfully,

Evan A. Siegel, 1st Lt, USAF.

And now you know why college football is so important. Because fans -- even the ones in a war zone 10,000 miles away -- invest themselves emotionally and spiritually in their teams. When your alma mater wins a big game, you feel just a little bit better about yourself. Even amid minefields and suicide bombers.

College football is my favorite sport, not because the football is better than it is in the NFL (it's not even close), but because the fans are more passionate. They just care more. And one of the reasons they care more is because of what's going to happen Saturday at UCF when the Knights open up their new on-campus football stadium and thousands upon thousands of UCF alumni will return to campus for the first time in years.

Let's face it, college football always has been more about the alumni than the students. Don't get me wrong, it's great to have rabid students at a college football game, but students don't yet have perspective. They don't realize how special their college days are and how much fun they are having. Alumni do. Ten or 20 years of work, kids and ex-wives will remind you real quick how great it was to be in college.

Ask just about any Florida or Florida State fan why they love attending home games, and they'll tell you because it gives them a chance to return to a place where they spent the best years of their lives. They're not just going back for games; they're going back in time. They're reliving the classes, the camaraderie, the keggers and that really weird linguistics professor with the glass eye. And what ever happened to Sheila, the preacher's daughter from Sarasota? Wow, remember her?

"The whole dynamic of our campus is about to change," UCF Coach George O'Leary says. "We're going to get people back on campus who haven't been back since they graduated because they've never had a reason to come back. Now they do."

What does it mean? Just ask Howard Schnellenberger. Even though he led the University of Miami to its first national title nearly 25 years ago, he left the school shortly thereafter -- in part because administrators would not commit to an on-campus stadium. As great as Miami's football dynasty became during the 1980s and 1990s, UM's games in the Orange Bowl never really felt like college games to Schnellenberger.

"College football was meant to be played on campus," says Schnellenberger, who is now the coach at Florida Atlantic University and has been trying for seven years now to get FAU to build an on-campus stadium. "How do you think the great game of college football came to be? Because schools in the East like Harvard and Yale and Dartmouth developed rivalries by playing on each other's campuses."

Now, at long last -- after nearly 30 years of playing intercollegiate football -- UCF finally is coming home.

We can only hope that alumni like Evan Siegel, fighting a war a half-a-world away, soon will follow.

Mike Bianchi can be reached at mbianchi@orlandosentinel.com.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/o...,3227540,print.story