Sign in to follow this  
TheREALBrooksThompson

MLB 2013 Season

So Loria mandated flipping starting pitchers for their doubleheader. That's both horrible and hilarious.

He does stuff like that all the time, apparently. The worst example was in 2006. Joe Girardi was the manager at the time. Loria spent an entire game berating the home plate umpire and Girardi thought it was going a bit too far, so he told Loria to shut the hell up. Maybe not in those words, but that was the main idea of what was said.

At the end of the season, Girardi ended up winning Manager of the Year. Loria promptly fired him because of philosophical disagreements or some bull**** like that. It was because Girardi told him to stop interfering in games.

That's the only instance in MLB history of a guy winning Manager of the Year and being fired in the same season. Ridiculous.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that. I'm glad I was taken to a Braves game when I was 8, because it would suck having that kind of childhood based allegiance to the Marlins.

Oh yeah, I forgot all about that. I'm glad I was taken to a Braves game when I was 8, because it would suck having that kind of childhood based allegiance to the Marlins.

Until recently, it hasn't been that bad. Loria likes to take credit for the 2003 championship, but he had nothing to do with that. And the '04-'09 teams were enjoyable as well. The salary purge after the 2005 season was tolerable because they got some really good prospects that made those years fun to watch.

It's really only become unbearable in the last three years. It sucks, but one day he'll be out of there and I can enjoy the team once again. Being able to watch those two World Series teams has gone a long way toward numbing the pain of what the team is now. Without those memories I would have definitely switched my allegiance to Tampa.

For anyone who has ESPN Insider, here's an interesting article on why you should bat your best hitter second instead of third:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/law_keith/id/9227029/joey-votto-bat-second-cincinnati-reds-mlb

It comes down to a gain of around 10 runs over the course of a full season, which sounds like a very small gain. And it is a very small gain, but a gain nonetheless. The article uses the Reds as an example, as they bat Zack Cozart second. Cozart has a career .283 OBP, which can be politely called "not very good", while Joey Votto with his career .417 OBP (including .474 last year and .445 so far this year) bats third. Cozart will end up getting about 2.5% more plate appearances over the course of a season than will Votto. And most of those extra plate appearances are going to be outs. Not only do all of those extra outs hurt, but they also take away the main argument for batting your best hitter third, which is that it will supply him with more RBI opportunities.

I'm still unclear on how his name is pronounced. I've heard both "poo-ig" and "pweeg".

the dodgers announcers pronounced it like the latter. I think that's correct because a similar word like fuiste (you went) is pronounced fwee-ste.