Sign in to follow this  
TheREALBrooksThompson

MLB 2013 Season

Inexplicably, Miami has a higher average attendance than 3 teams so far this year. Oakland, Seattle and Cleveland are averaging less per game. And if you go by percentage of possible attendance instead of the raw average number, they're still beating 3 teams: The White Sox, Mariners and Indians.

I'm guessing weather plays a large part in that this early in the season. But if that's still true at the end of the season I'm going to be disappointed. No one should be going to those games. Not because the team is bad, but because that ownership does not deserve support.

When I was first thinking about this, I thought that maybe I shouldn't be rooting for people to boycott because it might lead to the team being moved out of Miami. But then after I thought about it, I remembered that I have no connection to Miami and have never been there beyond driving through it, so I really shouldn't care whether they're in Miami or anywhere else. I'm a Marlins fan now, and I've never been to Miami to watch them.

I really should be a Rays fan.

Really? I like Uggla. Yea he's struggling, and last season he had that horrible stretch. But he's a good power hitter. Prado would just be redundant IMO.

Uggla is hitting like .210 for his entire time in Atlanta so far, not hitting for the power he did in Miami, all the while being the worst defensive second baseman in baseball.

Add that all up and then throw in that he's a Marlin, ***** that guy lol. Prado was our best all around player last year (IMO), it really hurt to see him go.

Inexplicably, Miami has a higher average attendance than 3 teams so far this year. Oakland, Seattle and Cleveland are averaging less per game. And if you go by percentage of possible attendance instead of the raw average number, they're still beating 3 teams: The White Sox, Mariners and Indians.

I'm guessing weather plays a large part in that this early in the season. But if that's still true at the end of the season I'm going to be disappointed. No one should be going to those games. Not because the team is bad, but because that ownership does not deserve support.

When I was first thinking about this, I thought that maybe I shouldn't be rooting for people to boycott because it might lead to the team being moved out of Miami. But then after I thought about it, I remembered that I have no connection to Miami and have never been there beyond driving through it, so I really shouldn't care whether they're in Miami or anywhere else. I'm a Marlins fan now, and I've never been to Miami to watch them.

The Marlins have lied about their attendance before, so you never really know. I think it was either their last year or second to last year at Joe Robbie that they reported something like 19,000/game for the season, just enough to be above the Rays. I was like, "Uh...I go to both parks frequently, watch both teams on TV frequently, that is a load of ****." Hell, Marlins/Nats games pre-Strasburg/Harper (which was when this was) would have literally 200 people at the ballpark.

Location wise, maybe, but the Rays play communist baseball (that's what I call the AL). Out of the AL teams I root for Tampa but still, that **** ain't baseball.

I still root for the Marlins based on Nostalgia from when I was a little 10 year old staying up till midnight to watch them win the World Series. One of the biggest sports moments in my life. But now that I have grown up, I still support the team, but I grown in disgust at every move I see made by the ownership.

The Marlins have lied about their attendance before, so you never really know. I think it was either their last year or second to last year at Joe Robbie that they reported something like 19,000/game for the season, just enough to be above the Rays. I was like, "Uh...I go to both parks frequently, watch both teams on TV frequently, that is a load of ****." Hell, Marlins/Nats games pre-Strasburg/Harper (which was when this was) would have literally 200 people at the ballpark.

Location wise, maybe, but the Rays play communist baseball (that's what I call the AL). Out of the AL teams I root for Tampa but still, that **** ain't baseball.

I don't have any problems with the AL, and the Rays in particular run their team in a way that is very easy to love. Plus they're the closest team to Orlando and the only team I can realistically see in person with any kind of regularity. If I were born a few years later than I was, they would definitely be my team. I just can't bring myself to switch at this point. I have too much invested in the Marlins, even though there literally is not a single thing about them that I like at this point.

I still root for the Marlins based on Nostalgia from when I was a little 10 year old staying up till midnight to watch them win the World Series. One of the biggest sports moments in my life. But now that I have grown up, I still support the team, but I grown in disgust at every move I see made by the ownership.

Out of curiosity, was this the 1997 or 2003 series?

I was in 8th grade for the '97 series, and I remember my dad made me go to bed towards the end of Game 7 because it went to extra innings, and I was really pissed about it. But then he woke me up early the next morning and revealed that he had recorded the rest of the game and he let me watch it before school. He refused to tell me who won, and he kind of hinted that the Marlins lost, so I watched it thinking I was going to be disappointed. I remember the Edgar Renteria hit like it was yesterday. And Craig Counsell scoring the winning run. That was awesome, especially because I thought they had lost. It was like Christmas.

It was also cool because back then you couldn't get Marlins games on TV in Orlando. And they had only existed for five years at that point, so the 1997 playoffs was the first time I had ever been able to watch Marlins games on TV consistently. You could watch them whenever they played the Braves or Cubs because of TBS and WGN, but other than that you had to follow them by reading the newspaper. That was a special time.

For the 2003 series I never thought for a second that they were going to lose. I am as anti-woo as anyone could possibly be, but as soon as they officially made the playoffs that year I knew they were going to win the whole thing. The Bartman incident was incredibly surreal to watch as it happened, because even at that point in the game, when Chicago was four outs away from winning that series, I had no doubt in my mind that the Marlins would pull something out of their asses and come back to win. It was in stark contrast to how I felt during the Magic's 2009 Finals run. I believed in that team as well, but I never really felt totally confident that they were going to go all the way. For the 2003 Marlins, I never had that doubt at all. And it was cool too because I had originally predicted before the 1997 season that the Yankees and Marlins would meet in the World Series that year. I was obviously wrong about that, but the 2003 series kind of fulfilled that itch I had to see the Marlins beat the Yankees. This was also during the stretch where the Yankees were virtually unbeatable, before they started filling their team with old guys. So it was quite an experience to see this team of young guys no one had ever heard of take down the Yankees in 6 games with the final win coming in Yankee Stadium. That is also something I will never forget.

Thinking back about this stuff makes me want to see the Magic do something similar. The 1995 Finals run had that same kind of feel to it, but it obviously ended badly. I have a feeling we might be in a position to experience something like that with the Magic in a few years. I certainly hope so.

Also, holy ****...the '97 series was 16 years ago. At the time 16 years seemed like an eternity, and now it has been that long since it happened. I'm starting to feel old.

And one more thing: Bob Costas and Bob Uecker called that series and to this day I still maintain that there is not a better combination of commentators than those two. They both have stellar senses of humor, and the occasional dry jokes they would drop in the middle of games were fantastic and I really miss that. I appreciate Joe Buck more than most people do, but he has nothing on the two Bobs.

I remember one exchange in particular. It must have been during the NLCS when the Marlins were playing the Braves. They had a shot of Ted Turner walking back to his seat carrying a paper bag and Costas made some comment about how Turner was bringing refreshments back to his seat. Uecker followed that up with "If that is in fact what's in the bag", to which Costas replied, "Purely speculation, Uke."

Putting it into text doesn't do it justice, but the kind of understated humor at which both of those guys excel is something that I absolutely love and I wish those two were still doing World Series games.

Out of curiosity, was this the 1997 or 2003 series?

I was in 8th grade for the '97 series, and I remember my dad made me go to bed towards the end of Game 7 because it went to extra innings, and I was really pissed about it. But then he woke me up early the next morning and revealed that he had recorded the rest of the game and he let me watch it before school. He refused to tell me who won, and he kind of hinted that the Marlins lost, so I watched it thinking I was going to be disappointed. I remember the Edgar Renteria hit like it was yesterday. And Craig Counsell scoring the winning run. That was awesome, especially because I thought they had lost. It was like Christmas.

It was also cool because back then you couldn't get Marlins games on TV in Orlando. And they had only existed for five years at that point, so the 1997 playoffs was the first time I had ever been able to watch Marlins games on TV consistently. You could watch them whenever they played the Braves or Cubs because of TBS and WGN, but other than that you had to follow them by reading the newspaper. That was a special time.

For the 2003 series I never thought for a second that they were going to lose. I am as anti-woo as anyone could possibly be, but as soon as they officially made the playoffs that year I knew they were going to win the whole thing. The Bartman incident was incredibly surreal to watch as it happened, because even at that point in the game, when Chicago was four outs away from winning that series, I had no doubt in my mind that the Marlins would pull something out of their asses and come back to win. It was in stark contrast to how I felt during the Magic's 2009 Finals run. I believed in that team as well, but I never really felt totally confident that they were going to go all the way. For the 2003 Marlins, I never had that doubt at all. And it was cool too because I had originally predicted before the 1997 season that the Yankees and Marlins would meet in the World Series that year. I was obviously wrong about that, but the 2003 series kind of fulfilled that itch I had to see the Marlins beat the Yankees. This was also during the stretch where the Yankees were virtually unbeatable, before they started filling their team with old guys. So it was quite an experience to see this team of young guys no one had ever heard of take down the Yankees in 6 games with the final win coming in Yankee Stadium. That is also something I will never forget.

Thinking back about this stuff makes me want to see the Magic do something similar. The 1995 Finals run had that same kind of feel to it, but it obviously ended badly. I have a feeling we might be in a position to experience something like that with the Magic in a few years. I certainly hope so.

That was the 97 series. The 2003 series I was with my old man in Washington DC and we watched it in a bar with me being the only person cheering for the Marlins and wearing my jersey and cap. The 97 series I was so freaking tired but I stayed up even when my fam was asleep. I passed out 10 minutes later with what my dad said was the biggest smile on my face he had ever seen when he came to wake me up.

Also, holy ****...the '97 series was 16 years ago. At the time 16 years seemed like an eternity, and now it has been that long since it happened. I'm starting to feel old.

And one more thing: Bob Costas and Bob Uecker called that series and to this day I still maintain that there is not a better combination of commentators than those two. They both have stellar senses of humor, and the occasional dry jokes they would drop in the middle of games were fantastic and I really miss that. I appreciate Joe Buck more than most people do, but he has nothing on the two Bobs.

I remember one exchange in particular. It must have been during the NLCS when the Marlins were playing the Braves. They had a shot of Ted Turner walking back to his seat carrying a paper bag and Costas made some comment about how Turner was bringing refreshments back to his seat. Uecker followed that up with "If that is in fact what's in the bag", to which Costas replied, "Purely speculation, Uke."

Putting it into text doesn't do it justice, but the kind of understated humor at which both of those guys excel is something that I absolutely love and I wish those two were still doing World Series games.

One of the reasons I like listening to the braves games (besides it being easy to listen to) is because of the broadcasters, Jim Powell and Don Sutton. I think they have some of that magic you're talking about. I don't know where you're located but a lot of stations in the south broadcast braves games. Oh, and Jim Powell used to work with Bob Uecker.