Sign in to follow this  
Emory889

The Official VC to Orlando thread. ~merged~

quote:
Originally posted by D-BoFats:

MC needs to learn how to shorten those mammoth paragraphs. Other than that, good read. I'd comment on the "article", but I think I've commented enough on the issue. Time to sit back, relax, and let Otis work his magic. The next 3 days will be a critical point in the Magic's history.

I have to agree with you here. Can't wait til this week is over and we can get back to worrying about games and Magic basketball. even if Vince never comes to the Magic we still have a lot to be thankful for and that is way more than a lot of teams.

IMO Carter or anyone for that matter may sign with the Magic inthe future for cheap just like players did/do to be on a team with Shaq. very often it comes down to a ring over money for these veterans.

Found some more from MC of why we should want Vince Carter. This is for all you haters out there.

"Lets break it down I know you may have already seen this in another thread, but Vince is the BEST SG in the league bar none when you consider his 2 way stats. Jordan was heralded as a great 2 way player and I think teams should look at 2 way stats more. It tells a lot about the makeup of a player, his ability to be coached and his instincts when he is on the floor. In any sport DEFENSE is the toughest part of the game. No matter what sport you play it is harder to make the defensive play than it is to run your route in football, get a hit in baseball, drive to thru the lane in Bball, make a power play goal in hockey, make a 1 on 1 goal in soccer. No matter what the sport, defense wins championships.

What is more amazing about Vince and his stats is that he fills up the stat sheet in every way on the offensive end and still plays the best defense in the league as a SG. We can probaly sign him in 2007 and I am sure he will have his eye on Orlando. So for all of the Magic fans and media that want to still hate on him for attending his UNC Graduation. Just look at the Numbers. The top 5 SG's i the league are:

#5 - Ron Artest: (16.9 ppg, 2nd on team) On Court OFF Court Net Difference

Effective FG% Allowed

48.1%

49.4%

-1.4%

#4 - Dwayne Wade: (27.2 ppg, 1st on team)

Effective FG% Allowed

47.4%

48.9%

-1.5%

#3 - Richard Hamilton: (20.1 ppg, 1st on team)

Effective FG% Allowed

47.3%

49.0%

-1.6%

#2 - Jason Richardson: (23.2 ppg, 1st on team)

Effective FG% Allowed

48.8%

50.5%

-1.7%

#1 - Vince Carter: (24.2 ppg, 1st on team)

Effective FG% Allowed

47.0%

49.6%

-2.6%

How could anyone as a Magic fan not want Vince Carter as their starting SG and sometimes starter at SF. He can play both the SG & SF position. A Career .381% from 3 point land. Many seasons he shot over .450% from the field. He is the closest thing to a 20/5/5 guy like Grant Hill was pre-injury. Carter for his career averages 23.9/5.4/4. He has always averaged over a steals per game, and still has great Defensive stats. I say that because a steal of the basketball mean you have to take chances. It means he makes and takes a smart chance and does not jeopardize his team. For example, Gerald Wallace who I like a lot was #16 in the league for best 2 way SG, though he led the league in steals. Carter was #34, but is the best 2 way player at SG. Also with few exception, Carter is int he top 5 for one on one on the ball defense as well. Ben Gordon believe it or not is #1 with 45.9% allowed."

MC needs to learn how to shorten those mammoth paragraphs. Other than that, good read. I'd comment on the "article", but I think I've commented enough on the issue. Time to sit back, relax, and let Otis work his magic. The next 3 days will be a critical point in the Magic's history.

quote:
Originally posted by otownmagic333:

quote:
Originally posted by Live&DieMagic:

quote:

From the Wariors perspective, they would not touch Vince because they feel it would just become a bad rental of a player. Sure Vince has all world talents, but for a team to take a chance on Vince and not be able to resign him would destroy any chemistry on the team because all the players in the NBA already know what Vince wants to do.

then why do we want him??

although i like how they said vc & ariza will be a good mix

I think he's talking about from another team's point of view no named the Magic. Why invest assets in Vince for him to play with you for 3 months then leave for Orlando? The rest of the league knows he wants to play in O-town with Dwight & Co. Taking a chance on him will mess with chemistry now cause he will not be there later.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

The first quote is from Sam Smith of the Chicago Tribune. He was talking with Tracy McGrady:

quote:
What Will He Do?

Feb 19 - The Nets seem on the verge of a breakup with Vince Carter eligible to be a free agent after this season. The Magic has been hiding in the weeds as a potential destination for Carter with Grant Hill's expiring big contract and several expendable young players such as Darko Milicic, J.J. Redick and perhaps Hedo Turkoglu.

"I've heard the talk," said Tracy McGrady, Carter's cousin who used to play for the Magic. "I don't know what he really wants to do. But he's built a house down there, he grew up 25-30 miles away from there."

Teaming Carter with Dwight Howard "would make them a great contender in the East for years to come," McGrady said.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnis...ll=cs-home-headlines

The next one is an interview with Thorn himself discussing the Nets and the rumors in the Newark Star-Ledger:

quote:
"You can't always get what you want. Let's say there were discussions, but there's nothing definitive at this time," Rod Thorn said, clearly referring to Carter's agent Kurt Schoeppler.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-...346076630.xml&coll=1

My take on all this. Vince himself is holding the cards! If he tells Thorn he is leaving to Orlando this summer then Thorn has no choice. Evidently, according to Thorn, Vince has not said whether or not he would. To quote, "He(Vince) said he would play through the season and then decide what he's going to do. He may not opt out at all."

If Vince truly wants to come to the Magic he can make it happen.

Here's to hope! Come on home, Boy!! We're tired of sweating this thing out!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Project Darko:

I understand where you're coming from with him not having a sidekick in the past. But (there's always a but), i don't think the magic are contenders yet. Still a couple years away yet imo. By the time the young players are ready, he'll be beyond his prime. So what good will it have done?

Maybe selling tix for a while, and getting some love from sportscenter.

I just remember all the "is Grant enabling our offense" talk a few weeks back. And i believe Vince's presence would lead folks to be asking similar ???s again, in the future.

The key youngs on this team, are still a couple years away. And the end of Vince's dominance is only a couple years away. To me that's bad timing.

I agree with you PC, im glad im not the only one that sees a potential disaster situation here. Sure, we will be a lock for the playoffs but we will lose games thanks to VC jacking 30+ shots.

I understand where you're coming from with him not having a sidekick in the past. But (there's always a but), i don't think the magic are contenders yet. Still a couple years away yet imo. By the time the young players are ready, he'll be beyond his prime. So what good will it have done?

Maybe selling tix for a while, and getting some love from sportscenter.

I just remember all the "is Grant enabling our offense" talk a few weeks back. And i believe Vince's presence would lead folks to be asking similar ???s again, in the future.

The key youngs on this team, are still a couple years away. And the end of Vince's dominance is only a couple years away. To me that's bad timing.