Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Soul Bro, does Ford has his tiers from previous drafts still accessible? I'd love to see how he ranked the past drafts.

Nyce, you are too savvy! I had deleted some of that info:

Tier 1

Players: None

Note: This category is usually reserved for guys who are surefire All-Stars and franchise players. Since 2009, only Blake Griffin, John Wall and Anthony Davis have been ranked in this slot. This year, there just isn't anyone who looks like a "surefire" anything.

Tier 2

Players: None

Note: Tier 2 is reserved for players who are projected as potential All-Stars by scouts. They are typical high lottery picks in a normal draft. Last year, Bradley Beal, Harrison Barnes and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist all got the nod as Tier 2 players. In 2011, Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams were in this tier. This year, I couldn't get a majority of teams to project anyone in this draft as a potential All-Star. Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore and Anthony Bennett all got a vote or two from teams that had them in Tier 2, but the overwhelming majority of teams I talked to had these players ranked as Tier 3 prospects. This is the first draft tiers column I've ever done where no players are ranked in Tier 2.

Side note...

Given their play with the Magic and youth, Vooch and Harris would be 1 and 2 in this draft. Henny slayed it with those two dudes.

That's all. smile_pulpfiction.gif

What a difference a year makes. Last year it was oh look Orlando's new GM got taken to the cleaners blah blah blah. As of right now, Magic are the winners of that deal. Vooch was percentage points away from leading the league in rebounding, Harkless has shown some very good potential, Afflalo played well and put up good numbers.

Chad Ford said execs are extremely down on this draft:

http://insider.espn....ects-draft-tier

There's been all stars in every draft so far so I don't understand why Chad Ford doesn't think there will be any in this one.

I'd agree that this draft doesn't seem to have any franchise players or perennial all stars though. It seems like we're going to take Noel, Oladipo or McLemore and I'm completely happy with either. Each player seems to have obvious strengths and potential to become all stars or at the very least solid starters. Even if we select Oladipo, who arguably out of the three of them is probably the one with the least talent at the moment, his energy and personality just makes it easy to root for him.

I don't feel like anyone can be truly disappointed in our pick as long as you fully understand that these players aren't going to change our franchise in the short term. They are just going to be a piece to the answer not the answer itself.

He also states this draft is very deep in the middle portion with little drop off from picks 15 to 50. I really wish Otis had not traded this and next years 2nd rounders away for friggin Justin Harper.

That first pick in the 2nd round could net a very good role player.

It doesn't seem like there's a "no-brainer" in this draft. I think that might be the lead reason I'm mostly ambivalent about this draft: no matter who we pick, they'll have their strengths and weaknesses and question marks. This draft is full of guys who are either untapped potential or potential pitfalls.

It's kind of a shot-in-the-dark draft and I trust Henny to make the best decision with the information available. Even if he whiffs, it's not a huge deal because it's not like we were "right on the cusp" of a championship.

This is not a make-or-break draft. It WOULD be nice to get a good piece. Not THE piece, not a great piece, not a franchise-saving piece, but just one that plays very well and consistently.

I think any of the guys in the top 10 can do that.

I like the insider info, but that's nothing none of us didn't already know. Were all aware there is no "surefire" player in this draft, that's why we've all beaten who we want, or who we think we might take at 2 to death. Nothing is for sure. I think that's actually made this draft more fun to debate upon.

The thing is, were in a situation where we don't have to have a perennial all-star HOF player.

As long as the player we take, whether it be McLemore, Noel or Olidipo end up being a "good" player, it's a win for us because of what is waiting for us in next year's draft.

I don't think it's a terrible position to be in. The only way i view this year's draft as a loss is if the player we select doesn't even become a solid player. Give me another good piece to go a long with our young core and throw in a top 3 pick next year and I'm happy.

It doesn't seem like there's a "no-brainer" in this draft. I think that might be the lead reason I'm mostly ambivalent about this draft: no matter who we pick, they'll have their strengths and weaknesses and question marks. This draft is full of guys who are either untapped potential or potential pitfalls.

It's kind of a shot-in-the-dark draft and I trust Henny to make the best decision with the information available. Even if he whiffs, it's not a huge deal because it's not like we were "right on the cusp" of a championship.

This is not a make-or-break draft. It WOULD be nice to get a good piece. Not THE piece, not a great piece, not a franchise-saving piece, but just one that plays very well and consistently.

I think any of the guys in the top 10 can do that.

Just read this after my post, I agree with everything but I don't think I wouldn't be mad if we completely "whiff". I mean, were picking second overall you can't just whiff on that picks like that. Like you said, I don't expect a perennial all star but I do expect a good solid piece that can contribute and help us reach our ultimate goal.

I'm not that much of a fan boy of Henny where I will just be fine with a complete wasted 2nd overall pick I don't care how good he's been or how much I love him. We all love the job he's done and applaud how he's handling this draft process but if he completely blew the pick he would have to get some flack for that.

• Upvote 1

I think your right on the money.

Too much risk associated with the bigs and PG's in this draft. Henny should ignore trade offers to move down unless they are very one sided and just choose between McClemore or Olidipo.

I don't think he can go wrong with either one of them.

Here's my take on MY TOP 5 PLAYERS IN THE DRAFT:

1a. Victor Oladipo, SG

Positives: Athletiscm is off the charts and his defense is NBA ready. Can guard opposing teams' 1 to 3 position. Offensive game improved every year he was at Indiana. Played 3 years of college basketball and just turned 21 a little over a month ago. Strong work ethic, wants and works to get better at his game which is something you can't teach. Reminds me of Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, or DeMarr Derozan coming out of college. What I mean by that is they were physical gifted athletes coming out of college with limited offensive skills but have worked hard to become the players they are now. Good size for an NBA shooting guard at 6'5" with shoes and weight at 215 lbs. Major Upside with a possbilitiy of being a 20-22 points, 5 rebs, and 5 asst per night player. Defensive 1st team capability and very mature for his age.

Negatives: Shooting isn't NBA ready but could possibly be very good with his work ethic. Ball handling needs work

Best case scenario: Dwayne Wade

Worst case scenario: Tony Allen

1b. Ben McLemore, SG

Positives: Can shoot the lights out and can be unstoppable when hot. He has to be accounted for at all times on the court because he's not the player that you want to leave open. Great athlete with upside to be an above average defender. Doesn't have the work ethic of Oladipo but IMO could be the best player coming out of this draft if he really wanted to be. Good FT shooter at this point in his career and could be top 5 percentage wise in the NBA at season's end. Could be an allstar by his second or third season in the NBA. Tremendous upside

Negatives: Can be a bit passive on the court at times and needs to be more aggressive. Being the good FT shooter he is I'd like to see him attack the basket a bit more. Ball handling needs work. A little immature

Best case scenario: Ray Allen

Worst case scenario: O.J. Mayo

3. Anthony Bennett, F

Positives: Bennett is an intelligent basketball player. Is a scoring machine with above average ball handling skills for his size. Can play the 3 or 4 position in the NBA. Although he's only 6'7", Bennett has a 7'1" wingspan. Plays well around the basket and can also hit the 3 ball consistently. Uses his body well and is very strong. Decent passer. Only 19 years of age and hasn't even touched on how good he can be. Soft Hands and great footwork

Negatives: A little undersized for the PF position but could play when teams go with smaller lineups. Needs to work on FT shooting and could also work on defensive rebounding. Needs to make better decision making with his shot selection. Top 3 talent IMO but not having a true position may hurt draft stock.

Best case scenario: Paul Pierce

Worst case scenario: Paul Milsap

4. Trey Burke, PG

Positives: NBA ready PG to start from day one. Great ball handling skills, can score, and makes people around him better. Assertive and knows how to take over a game. Not elite size but stands 6'1" with shoes on which is average for a PG. Can make free throws and has an NBA range 3 pt shot. Makes good decisions

Negatives: Not a great athlete. Decent quickness for a smaller PG but doesn't have the explosive speed of a Paul, Irving, or a Lawson. Not sure how much better he's going to get. May make 2 or 3 allstars in his career but not much more.

Best case scenario: Jameer Nelson (but better defensively)

Worst case scenario: Raymond Felton

5. Otto Porter, SF

Positives: Starter from day one. Very good scorer with great basketball intangibles. Very smart player that wont committ many turnovers. Not a flashy player but gets the job done. Great size and strength for the small forward position. Good defender with potential to get better due to his length. What you see is what you get out of Porter.

Negatives: Could work on FT shooting but there's not much negativity to Porter's game other than the opinion that he may not get much better than what he is.

Best case scenario: Danny Granger

Worst case scenario: Chandler Parsons

I like the insider info, but that's nothing none of us didn't already know. Were all aware there is no "surefire" player in this draft, that's why we've all beaten who we want, or who we think we might take at 2 to death. Nothing is for sure. I think that's actually made this draft more fun to debate upon.

The thing is, were in a situation where we don't have to have a perennial all-star HOF player.

As long as the player we take, whether it be McLemore, Noel or Olidipo end up being a "good" player, it's a win for us because of what is waiting for us in next year's draft.

I don't think it's a terrible position to be in. The only way i view this year's draft as a loss is if the player we select doesn't even become a solid player. Give me another good piece to go a long with our young core and throw in a top 3 pick next year and I'm happy.

And having the second pick means the pressure's off both us and the player. If a #2 player doesn't pan out, it might be joked about, especially if someone amazing pops up later in the draft, but hindsight being 20/20, etc, but it's not like a #1 being a dud.