Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

I'm in love with the idea of Bledsoe and BMac on our team together. I like AA but I think BMac will be better than him one day, and Bledsoe could really open things up for BMac. I could also see Bledsoe making Hark a better player. I would take Bledsoe over Burke and its been stated on here how much I like Burke.

How in the world could anyone possible make the "draft for need/fits the system" argument for a 20 win team with no cornerstone players? Our current system is to lose games, and to lose them often. Hennigan's drafting the #1 player on the board, regardless of position.

And it's interesting that the Clippers would dangle Bledsoe like that (assuming it's true) when Chris Paul's future with them is up in the air.

Well to be fair, it was a reply back to the notion of: "Draft talent only". Who in the world just draft's talent and deals with everything else later? I mean what is an actual cornerstone player anyways.... Is Granger considered one?... What about Rudy Gay?... I mean let's face it there arent that many "cornerstone" players on teams to begin with. Who's Minnesota's, what about Mil or Brooklyn....

Is there a cornerstone player in this draft? what about the next?

I mean if the plan is to lose games, lose them often and then draft the #1 player (out the top 5-10) regardless of position, then good luck with that. I will be sad to see the Magic franchise leave for Seattle.

I counted 7 Ps and as far as the draft I think we take McClemore.

Also this team is basically building from the ground up. There is not a single guy I would label as a franchise type player that I would be sad to see go.

Agreed. I am in the same boat. Its nice to know that we do have some pieces that can be used. I think thats alot better position thatn most teams when they go through a rebuild. I mean teams literally start with a couple of picks and some "hope". In our case, we have a boat load of picks and players who are wanted and can be moved.

So we are allowed to be picky and not jump the gun.

Evan Dunlap: . @bjbass2 says Magic have invited 6-1 PG Tony Taylor, fmrly of George Washington, to a "FA mini-camp" in June. Twitter @BQRMagic

I like this guy and Bledsoe is gonna need a back-up after nelson's contract is up lol

Who in the world just draft's talent and deals with everything else later

Teams that are so bad that a system is the last thing anyone cares about.

I mean what is an actual cornerstone player anyways

Long term players of a franchise. The guy who aren't expendable.

.... Is Granger considered one?... What about Rudy Gay?

They were before their teams were good. They helped their respective franchises grow into top 10 teams.

... I mean let's face it there arent that many "cornerstone" players on teams to begin with

There are plenty. We're one of a handful of teams without any as of yet.

Who's Minnesota's, what about Mil or Brooklyn....

Think about it.

Is there a cornerstone player in this draft? what about the next?

Has there ever been a draft without any cornerstone players? It's not if, it's who.

I mean if the plan is to lose games, lose them often and then draft the #1 player (out the top 5-10) regardless of position, then good luck with that.

Yeah, that's what smart front office people do. They acquire assets and shred team salary.

I will be sad to see the Magic franchise leave for Seattle.

Yeah.

Teams that are so bad that a system is the last thing anyone cares about.

/quote]

I will just stop here.

Orlando Magic are not that and have never been that since before Dwight was drafted. You of all people should know better.

Last season we started off looking towards a late playoff seed.... Due to injuries and nothing really to play for, we ended the season with 20 wins.

You are wrong if your suggesting that Orlando was a bad team... compared to Charlotte or Sacremento. Anyone else who claims that we are bad enough just to draft talent hasnt been watching the same team or doesnt really follow this franchise.

If people are going to just say... "We only won 20 games"... then atleast follow it up with why we were a 20 win team. It wasnt because we didnt have talent... it was because we had injuries.

Yes I am.

If I shot that much more than you at that high a %, simple game reps and experience would already make me a better shooter.

If the Magic draft Oladipo, I am fine with it. Honestly. I just love Ben's potential. I saw a lot of Jayhwak games this year as well and I was very intrigued by him early in the season.

Oladipo had some incredible games, and then others where he disappeared. Just like Ben. I also do not think he is as good of a shooter, and if he was as good, I believe he would have shot more than 2 3s a game from the college line.

And that is my main thing - the Magic really need a shooter at the 2. If they think Oladipo can become that guy - awesome. We know Ben most likely will be that guy, and that is why I prefer him.

I'm with you Catman. Were alone for the most part on this forum though. I like Oli as well, but for me the pick should clearly be McLemore than everyone else. Too much potential to let pass up. And comparing the shots of Oli to McLemore is not even worth it, any scout or someone who knows basketball can look at the two's shots and see which one will thrive in the NBA and which one will go in occasionally.

It's fun to debate on here and here everyone's opinion but I really think it's McLemore than everyone else (unless we trade down).

Also, the Burke train seems to be losing steam on here at least as far as taking him a 2 is concerned. Wasn't but 2 weeks ago most people wanted Burke at 2 and didn't wanna hear anything else.

• Upvote 2

Here's my Magic mock off-season:

Draft

Round 1 - Ben McLemore, SG, Kansas

Best two way player in the draft. Ray Allen-type shooter with superior athleticism.

NBA Comparison: more athletic Klay Thompson

***Orlando trades four future second round picks (starting in 2015) to Cleveland for picks #31 & #33***

Round 2 - Mouhammadou Jaiteh, C, International

Developmental big man that we could stash overseas for 2 years. Held his own against Team USA in the Hoop Summit game a couple weeks ago. Also only 18 years old.

NBA Comparison: Bismack Biyombo

Round 2 - Archie Goodwin, SG, Kentucky

Was highly-touted coming out of HS, but failed to meet expectations. Still has a load of potential to become a very solid player on both ends of the floor in the NBA.

NBA Comparison: Lance Stephenson

Round 2 - Myck Kabongo, PG, Texas

Lightning-quick PG that was also highly-touted coming out of HS. Took a big hit this season due to suspension, but played fairly well once he got back on the court.

NBA Comparison: Patrick Beverly

Free Agency

Austin Daye, SF/SG

Showed some promise whenever he got some playing time. Could show out in the right situation a la, Tobias Harris. Also, Scott Perry was a part of the staff that drafted him, so their some connection there.

Cole Aldrich, C

Had some solid outing with the Kings last season, showing he was capable of being a solid backup in this league. Also, like Perry with Daye, Hennigan was part of the Thunder staff that drafted Aldrich.

Trades

Orlando trades Arron Afflalo to the LA Clippers for Eric Bledsoe and Caron Butler.

This trade is a win-win for both parties involved. The Clippers finally get their starting SG to pair with CP3, and the Magic get their PG of the future.

Orlando trades Al Harrington to Memphis for a future second round pick and TPE (Rudy Gay).

Memphis could really use a stretch four like Al coming off the bench.

Depth Chart

PG: Bledsoe/Nelson/Kabongo

SG: McLemore/Lamb/Goodwin

SF: Harkless/Daye/Butler

PF:Davis/Harris/Nicholson

C: Vucevic/O'Quinn/Aldrich

Orlando Magic are not that and have never been that since before Dwight was drafted. You of all people should know better

Worst record in the league not resonating? Bad teams and bad franchises aren't the same thing.

Last season we started off looking towards a late playoff seed.... Due to injuries and nothing really to play for, we ended the season with 20 wins.

Which part of that actually matters: How things started in the first 25 out of 82 games, or the 20 win part?

You are wrong if your suggesting that Orlando was a bad team

20 wins.

compared to Charlotte or Sacremento

We went 1-3 vs Charlotte and 0-2 vs Sacramento. Are we in better shape than both of those franchises? Yeah, that's fair. But you need to stop kidding yourself with how good this Magic team was.

Anyone else who claims that we are bad enough just to draft talent hasnt been watching the same team or doesnt really follow this franchise

I'm just here for the emoticons.

If people are going to just say... "We only won 20 games"... then atleast follow it up with why we were a 20 win team. It wasnt because we didnt have talent... it was because we had injuries.

No Dwight Howard + trading away other assets + young unproven players = bad team rebuilding.

Yes, we were that bad. And yes, that's the best thing that could've happened for the franchise post-Dwight.

Also, the Burke train seems to be losing steam on here at least as far as taking him a 2 is concerned. Wasn't but 2 weeks ago most people wanted Burke at 2 and didn't wanna hear anything else.

I still like Burke a lot and all the comparison's to him being superstar a or b was just me messing around. With the talk of us trying to get Bledsoe almost certainly derails the Burke train all together. Bledsoe, BMac, Hark, and Harris is a great young group of talent moving forward.

I think Paul is a lock to resign. He is not turning down 117 million.

I could see him taking less money if the right opportunity presented itself. That Clippers team has been an illusion for two years now, so if there was a path to a championship out there for him, I think he'd take it at 28. A bunch of crazy stuff would have to happen for that to take place, though.I suppose it's possible that he believes in Griffin and Jordan, but I know I wouldn't.