Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Next year's draft has 2-5 franchise type guys and up to 7 potential all stars. To not tank would be absurd. I hope this team is horrific.

If only you could turn it on and off so fast. Once you get mired in losing, it's not so easy to turn it around. Guys start to expect to lose, and don't play up to their potentials.

I think you want to see good development every year or you are in trouble.....

How does Mclemore have bust potential?

Lol bro, anyone with mental issues (confidence, IQ, etc.) has bust potential, no matter how athletic they are.

Lol bro, anyone with mental issues (confidence, IQ, etc.) has bust potential, no matter how athletic they are.

So half the players in this draft are bust potential? what are you talking about.

Players don't become busts because they aren't smart enough. They become busts because they aren't talented or don't have a skill or some combination of both. Seriously, when's the last time a player couldn't make it because of something like mental issues? How do you explain Earl Clark then, who is arguably the dumbest player in the league? Hell Javale Mcgee makes shaqtin a fool every episode but nobody says he is a bust.

Mclemore has great athleticism and the most important skill in basketball. The chance he becomes a bust in my eyes is practically null.

So half the players in this draft are bust potential? what are you talking about.

Players don't become busts because they aren't smart enough. They become busts because they aren't talented or don't have a skill or some combination of both. Seriously, when's the last time a player couldn't make it because of something like mental issues? How do you explain Earl Clark then, who is arguably the dumbest player in the league? Hell Javale Mcgee makes shaqtin a fool every episode but nobody says he is a bust.

Mclemore has great athleticism and the most important skill in basketball. The chance he becomes a bust in my eyes is practically null.

What the heck are you even talking about? A bust is when you expect a player to be a certain level and he produces significantly less than that. If we draft mclemore at 2 and he plays like Brandon rush, that's a bust.

• Upvote 1

What the heck are you even talking about? A bust is when you expect a player to be a certain level and he produces significantly less than that. If we draft mclemore at 2 and he plays like Brandon rush, that's a bust.

That's fine I agree with that, I just don't think Mclemore will be a bust b/c of something like "mental Issues."

What are McLemore's mental issues? I know he had some hardships growing up but does that give him mental issues?

barnett, do you believe a team with Vucevic, Harkless, and Harris (maybe O'Quinn and Nicholson) is ready to compete with the big dogs? If so I admire your conviction. But I don't think that's enough. These guys are putting up numbers on a bad team, with a coach letting them play loose. For all the progress these guys are making, they only won 20 games last season.

I think it's way too early to make that judgment about this group. That's why we need the best talent at every position.

Truthfully - I think its too early to tell... I mean there alot of positive signs about all three players that have transpired during the year they were together... as for Tobias it was a little bit of time.

As for the 20 win games... Many factors played into this... injuries was the most impacting. Keep in mind we were still playoff hunting before Davis went down.

Vuc is a very good Center..... Considering the lack of them in the league, and the way he handled the position as a starter... I dont see us duplicating the pick.

Harkless.... Too early. It takes players usually 3 yrs to see what they are going to offer. I want to see him and what he does in the offseason. He needs to add some body to his frame.

Tobias... Too early to tell from a team chemistry stand point. He did very well with the Magic and what they had during that time. Tobias filled a quick need as a scorer. I will be interested to see his yr 3 mark... im expecting a breakout.

To be fair, there will always be someone in the NBA that is going to better than you at some point. Can Tobias shut down Lebron...no. Can Harkless move to the SG and stop Harden.... probably not. Can Vuc contain Hibbert... would be tough.

There is alot of things to consider when trying to build a team for the long run. I know that talent is important, but I also know that understanding the "needs" is also important. No one can just take one over the other.

Like I said before.... The Charlotte Bobcats have spent the last 5yrs, drafting the way some of you are talking... Talent over need. They drafted Felton and Augistine back to back and they are no longer there.... They drafted Mays, Omeka, and Morrison and they are no longer there... I mean seriously... who in the F uses 3 picks on a PG?.... When they had Felton, they could used that Augistine pick on some else... like Ryan Anderson, Roy Hibbert... etc.

There is the living proof of the NBA on why you dont just go for just talent over needs. The other side of the coin is the Spurs, look at their drafting record and what needs they went after.

Truthfully - I think its too early to tell... I mean there alot of positive signs about all three players that have transpired during the year they were together... as for Tobias it was a little bit of time.

As for the 20 win games... Many factors played into this... injuries was the most impacting. Keep in mind we were still playoff hunting before Davis went down.

Vuc is a very good Center..... Considering the lack of them in the league, and the way he handled the position as a starter... I dont see us duplicating the pick.

Harkless.... Too early. It takes players usually 3 yrs to see what they are going to offer. I want to see him and what he does in the offseason. He needs to add some body to his frame.

Tobias... Too early to tell from a team chemistry stand point. He did very well with the Magic and what they had during that time. Tobias filled a quick need as a scorer. I will be interested to see his yr 3 mark... im expecting a breakout.

To be fair, there will always be someone in the NBA that is going to better than you at some point. Can Tobias shut down Lebron...no. Can Harkless move to the SG and stop Harden.... probably not. Can Vuc contain Hibbert... would be tough.

There is alot of things to consider when trying to build a team for the long run. I know that talent is important, but I also know that understanding the "needs" is also important. No one can just take one over the other.

Like I said before.... The Charlotte Bobcats have spent the last 5yrs, drafting the way some of you are talking... Talent over need. They drafted Felton and Augistine back to back and they are no longer there.... They drafted Mays, Omeka, and Morrison and they are no longer there... I mean seriously... who in the F uses 3 picks on a PG?.... When they had Felton, they could used that Augistine pick on some else... like Ryan Anderson, Roy Hibbert... etc.

There is the living proof of the NBA on why you dont just go for just talent over needs. The other side of the coin is the Spurs, look at their drafting record and what needs they went after.

I see where your going, but i would not use ANYTHING involving the Charlotte bobcats to get your point across. I agree we have to see where Harris/Hark/Nick are in 3 years, but in the mean time I maintain that that should not stop us from drafting the best overall player with most potential. I just would not be one bit upset if we went with Porter this year, given Henny sees him as the best overall player. I think it's a bit of a mute point because McLemore will most likely be the pick and he gives us a need, and the best potential. But moving forward, I personally am not worried about needs yet. Just my 2 cents. I get your point with drafting for needs over best player, just don't think were near that point yet, at least a year out.

Funny just found this in the Sentinel...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-josh-robbins-magic-insider-orlando-magic-draft-20130524,0,6959891.column

• Upvote 1

Jordan was going to take Brook Lopez that year they drafted Augustin, but he let Larry Brown talk him into taking Augustin. They even went as far as promising Lopez that they were going to take him at 9 if he was available, which caused Lopez to cry when they passed on him. I know Mike wish he could have that pick back.

Speaking of Lopez, would you guys be happy had we accepted the Nets offer for Howard and ended up with Lopez and Lilliard? Billy King should have been fired for trading that pick for Wallace. That has got to be one of the worst trades I've seen in a while.

Jordan was going to take Brook Lopez that year they drafted Augustin, but he let Larry Brown talk him into taking Augustin. They even went as far as promising Lopez that they were going to take him at 9 if he was available, which caused Lopez to cry when they passed on him. I know Mike wish he could have that pick back.

Speaking of Lopez, would you guys be happy had we accepted the Nets offer for Howard and ended up with Lopez and Lilliard? Billy King should have been fired for trading that pick for Wallace. That has got to be one of the worst trades I've seen in a while.

Um... we don't know we would have ended up with Lillard. And, no. I wouldn't want that trade.

Royce White