Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Trey Burke is scheduled to work out for the Orlando Magic before the June 27 draft.

Burke has scheduled just one workout thus far.

"I may do three or four (workouts with teams), two or three, I don't know (yet),” Burke said. "Everything's not (totally) scheduled yet still."

Burke doesn’t have a preference for where he could end up.

"Wherever I go, it doesn't matter," he says. "Wherever I go, I'm going to be ready to play right away.

"Try and contribute at a high level."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2013/05/trey_burke_to_work_out_for_orl.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-pistons+%28Detroit+Pistons+Impact+-+MLive.com%29

Agreed. Who cares if we have 8 small forwards? You collect talent and if it doesn't fit, you trade it later.

only in good drafts

in a draft like this not really, teams needs should be considered to an extent or else we end up with marvin williams in atlanta

Who are on our team is un-tradeable? Who on our team are you sold can be a key piece on a championship team? Obviously you take position somewhat into consideration but if Otto Porter is the best player at 2, that's who you take regardless of Harris or Harkless. I'm not saying Porter is the pick, I'm just stating were in the spot to take best overall talent. And I'm glad to know you know what the Magic front office want, let me know next time you sit in on a meeting with them. For any of us to claim to know what is going on behind closed doors with management is foolish.

I dont know, I didnt propose this question or this statement.

And I never said anything to the claim of knowing anything behind the doors of the Magic Front office. Only you did. And everyone who knows who I am, knows I would never make a claim such as that. "Try Again"

So with those two miss characterizations out of the way let's get to the real simple argument. You were wrong to claim that the Orlando Magic team was far too bad to worry about position needs in a draft. Not only wrong, but simply delusional. You act like this year two of the 1989 expansion team, where your roster is filled with practically fillers. Give me a break.

If you compared our teams position with some other lower end teams, we look pretty well off in terms of talent and ability to move assets. Again, we are not so horrible that we need to throw out position needs.

We have talent in some positions we have, Nikola has game, Nelson has game, Mo has game, Tobias has game,etc. You cannot just do what the Detroit Lions did by drafting the same position 3 times in a row... Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams... and expect your franchise to be successful.

You tell me a team that has done what your talking about and won a championship?

San Antonio doesnt draft that way. But the Charlotte BobCats do. Guess which franchise is up and which one is down.

Now, lets look at the "Business" factor of the NBA:

- People do not go to watch a team to lose.

- People do not want to buy merchandise of losing teams or players who will most likely bolt for a better squad.

- People will not wait for 4yrs, or 5 yrs, or 6yrs for teams to get better or shows signs of consistent improvement.

- Businesses will not spend partnership dollars on teams that are not successful... Vancouver Griz

- City's will not support failing franchises

So how do you get yourself back into the competitive business market... According to you and some others.. "Ahh just draft the best Talent... I dont care if we have 8 SF's or 6 SG's". Because that has worked real well for Charlotte....#$@!#

And what does that say about the moves you previously made? And what does say about your ability to think and plan long term?

Yes, this includes looking ahead into drafts to project some initial ideas, targets, possible moves. Let's look into an early article where we learn a little bit more about Rob... because it has alot to do with the future and drafting.

SI Rob Hennigan Charts New Path

What did Alex Martins see in Rob: "What I like about Rob's approach from the San Antonio system is, 'Make the right decision, develop your guys, keep them with you.' Sustainability over a long period of time."

Rob on his past positions: "At Oklahoma City and San Antonio, I was really lucky to be privy to a lot of varied discussions and negotiations. And a lot of times, I was fortunate enough to have an active role in that process. I think those experiences and observations helped me quite a bit and provide the foundation of, 'OK, here's how to operate, here's how to conduct your business, here's how to establish an action plan from which to operate.' That just gave me a lot of confidence to pick up the phone and start doing what was best for the organization."

Honestly, just reading this article and you can get a good feel on what type of guy we have pulling the strings. You can get a sense on what he is looking for.... "A Repeat of the Spurs and OKC" "Sustainability over a long period of time". Not, hey lets just draft best available and we will work it out later kind of guy.

You know White.... your not doing so well on these statements. I thought we talked about posting some factual links when posting to prove your opinion? I mean without them, you just seem a little crazy and lost. I would hate to ignore you for sanity reasons.

only in good drafts

in a draft like this not really, teams needs should be considered to an extent or else we end up with marvin williams in atlanta

I think the team takes Ben Mac even though they have spent a lot of time watching Otto. He just makes sense and fills a need on the team.

What I like about next year is we could pick Wiggins or Parker at SF, grab a stud PF, grab a PG..it will all be more clear after another year of Harris or Harkless.

But if we do take Porter, I think the plan will be to play him Harris and Harkless a lot of minutes and see who delivers. Harris shoots well from 3, Porter shot over 40% and Harkless is beginning to get his corner 3 down as well.

I've always felt that these BPA answers managers gave were far too simplified (and likely intended as complements to their draftees or to the existing players at their positions). Of course there are drafts where there is some can't miss talent (and for all we know this could be one of them, though perhaps not where we're picking), but I'm guessing that in order to take the BPA route at a position in which you already have prospects you must be confident that their value is FAR higher than anyone behind them--or at least high enough to warrant trading and restructuring down the road.

I think the team takes Ben Mac even though they have spent a lot of time watching Otto. He just makes sense and fills a need on the team.

What I like about next year is we could pick Wiggins or Parker at SF, grab a stud PF, grab a PG..it will all be more clear after another year of Harris or Harkless.

But if we do take Porter, I think the plan will be to play him Harris and Harkless a lot of minutes and see who delivers. Harris shoots well from 3, Porter shot over 40% and Harkless is beginning to get his corner 3 down as well.

So according to the above plan, we should be set in 2017 to make a run?

Where do you work.... stay there.

Minny wants to move up because they want Oladipo. They have the #9 pick

IMO a combo of Derrick Williams + Schroeder would be better than any player we drafted with the #2

IMO a combo of Derrick Williams + Schroeder would be better than any player we drafted with the #2

No.

Horrible value for that steep of a drop. Plus we already have a better version of Willams on the roster in Harris.

Horrible value for that steep of a drop. Plus we already have a better version of Willams on the roster in Harris.

Schroeder might become the best player in this draft.

McLemore has some amazing bust potential, same for Noel due to his injury.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

How does Mclemore have bust potential? The guy can shoot. You know what a bust is? someone who can't put it together and therefore cannot contribute in any meaningful way. At the very LEAST Bmac is a more athletic JJ Redick (after a few years of development) in a draft that is considered weak by many observers. A more athletic JJ Redick is a serious candidate for 6th man of the year. That person is not a bust.