Soul Bro

Official Draft Thread 3.0

Man reading this, you guys can really get caught up in opinions. Everyone has one so just enjoy the thread.

There's a difference between "We should draft Burke because xyz reason...." and "I KNOW we are drafting Burke, I am in the loop, get used to him, you haven't done your homework, you know nothing about the situation, we don't even need to interview him." The former is reasonable, the latter is not.

Catman who we all know is reliable, flat out rejected that notion and lo and behold, the guy stops pushing his stuff on us.

• Upvote 6

Otto Porter Jr is the player for our Orlando Magic to draft this year. He has great size, scoring ability, passing ability, and basketball I.Q. He would fit in well with our young core and we could nab a great p.g in next yr draft as it is a deep one. Well, that's my 2 cents.

How are we getting pick 13. Just buying it from Dallas? We should use the TPE to take Marion off their hands and get an unprotected pick in 2014 when they whiff on Dwight and make the lottery again. I do not know if we can do that with the cap but why not.

There's a difference between "We should draft Burke because xyz reason...." and "I KNOW we are drafting Burke, I am in the loop, get used to him, you haven't done your homework, you know nothing about the situation, we don't even need to interview him." The former is reasonable, the latter is not.

Catman who we all know is reliable, flat out rejected that notion and lo and behold, the guy stops pushing his stuff on us.

First off, I thought we all moved on from this? Secondly, I never said "you haven't done your homework, you know nothing about the situation, or we don't even need to interview him". Never. Please don't put words in my mouth. Lastly (second to last anyways), I have a job and I'm at work...no one ran me off. Lastly, just because Smart dropped out doesn't mean the Magic can't have a chubby for Burke.

How are we getting pick 13. Just buying it from Dallas? We should use the TPE to take Marion off their hands and get an unprotected pick in 2014 when they whiff on Dwight and make the lottery again. I do not know if we can do that with the cap but why not.

the whole reason they're considering moving the pick is to avoid adding the rookie contract to the books so they can make a run at dwight. no way they give up an unprotected 2014 pick w/o the assurance of having D12 on the roster. we could take on marions salary through the TE but $9 mill may be too steep for the pick. hopefully reports of dwight only considering la & houston are false or else they may kill this oppurtunity

btw does anybody know the deadline when a decision has to be made about turk/harringtons contracts?

Whew, just caught up on this thread after missing the lottery because of work last night. Lots of people are high on Porter, which is understandable but don't think he will be drafted by us. The way I see it is that we are going to draft Burke because of his talents and the simple fact that we are in desperate need of a PG. Also, considering Henny's scouting and crafty work I can see something throwing us all for a loop, Hennigan has proved to do things no one really expected so I won't be surprised if he does some draft day magic. I also do wish that we still bag CJ McCollum, I can't seem to stray away from that bandwagon since the beginning of the season.

btw does anybody know the deadline when a decision has to be made about turk/harringtons contracts?

It's usually the eve of free agency so June 30.

I agree it's a steep price (9m) for mid lottery pick. But it's possible we could reach a buyout based on his statements earlier in the year (He doesn't want to go through a rebuild, wants to play for something).

the whole reason they're considering moving the pick is to avoid adding the rookie contract to the books so they can make a run at dwight. no way they give up an unprotected 2014 pick w/o the assurance of having D12 on the roster. we could take on marions salary through the TE but $9 mill may be too steep for the pick. hopefully reports of dwight only considering la & houston are false or else they may kill this oppurtunity

The draft is before free agency and once you make a pick there is a cap hold associated with that player so they would be rolling the dice anyway. Take Marion off their hands and they do a couple other things and they can go after Paul and Howard.

Chad Ford is doing his chat right now, says that he's spoken with 15 GMs and a lot are looking to trade out of the draft so the Cavs are unlikely to get a solid return for their pick. Also says Oladipo is the guy most GMs love.

This in regards to the Mavs....I guess they already lose their 14 pick

Fabio (Curitiba, Brazil)

Chad, any chance Mavs either deal the 13th pick or draft an Euro player to stash him?

Chad Ford (2:02 PM)

Yes, I reported last night that it's LIKELY the Mavs trade the pick to clear cap space for a Dwight Howard run. Since they owe the Thunder a pick in 2014, they could only trade the pick after they made the selection on draft night (in a pre-arranged deal). They also could draft an international player if he agrees to stay overseas one more year. The Mavs could just get a letter from the player and his agent stating that and he'd come off the cap. That could be a scenario where Dario Saric goes to the Mavs.

Is it just me who gets the feeling that of the 15 GM's Ford has said he's spoken to Hennigan is probably not one of them?

Ford says a lot of GM's wanting to trade out of draft, if that's true then an extra pick should be pretty cheap to acquire and we could land a good young role-player type later in the draft for giving up very little.