Sign in to follow this  
DarkoHero

The firing has Begun! Article!

quote:
I'm all for going into that dark unknown and overpaying for a high profile coach

Even someone from this board can do a better job, at one-tenth of the salary.

Bill Laimbeer, hire Darrel Armstrong at least as an assistant and then he oculd take the reigns later, etc. There are actually plenty of options. It's not anywhere as bad as that article put it.

IF Van der Weide keeps Brian Hill for next year, I am personally done watching Magic games.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

A quote from SI's Chris Mannix

"Long-term, the Bucks join a growing group of teams with coaching vacancies with a thin talent pool from which to choose. Larry Brown's name will almost certainly come up, but he will have no shortage of suitors this summer. Fratello, Lenny Wilkens and Rick Adelman will also warrant consideration, but, again, there will be a number of teams lined up for their services. And let's not forget Milwaukee isn't as geographically desirable as, say, Charlotte or Orlando, which could fire Brian Hill if the Magic continue to stumble down the stretch. So Milwaukee will likely have to overpay for a big name or a high-profile college coach."

I'm all for going into that dark unknown and overpaying for a high profile coach.

This is my concern with waiting until the off-season to fire Brian.

Teams like Milwaukee that fire their coach now can go ahead and sign a guy like Rick Adelman before we even have a shot at him.

That leaves us with the guys who got fired and a bunch of assistants to choose from.

No well established coach will take a team in the middle of the season. I can't even think of one example where that has happened. Larry Krystkowiak (sound familiar?) as the interim head coach.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

No well established coach will take a team in the middle of the season. I can't even think of one example where that has happened. Larry Krystkowiak (sound familiar?) as the interim head coach.

I thought Larry Brown did it, but I may be wrong.

In baseball, it happens more often, with Jim Leyland being an example.

It seems to me that it would be more logical to come in and have 10-20 games to evaluate the talent that you have so that, based on your plans, you can determine what personnel you would like your GM to keep, or to send elsewhere.

You wouldn't have the opportunity to implement your style, but at least you could get to know the players, not to mention the existing coaching staff to see if any of the assistants would be worth retaining.