Sign in to follow this  
Osprey

The next president.

It seems presidential elections are starting sooner and sooner these days.

In wake of Obama declaring his candidacy for the Democratic nomination, I was wondering who the board (us) would vote into office if the elections were held today?

I will make this ballot/poll easy for our Palm Beach posters.

Feel free to add write-ins.

It seems presidential elections are starting sooner and sooner these days.

In wake of Obama declaring his candidacy for the Democratic nomination, I was wondering who the board (us) would vote into office if the elections were held today?

I will make this ballot/poll easy for our Palm Beach posters.

Feel free to add write-ins.

I can guarantee u that no republican will get in, Bush has ruined it for them all...

Nor will anyone that says they will not be looking for an end to a war that has gone to long.......

Rich, my friend, it's Republican.

As for the election, it's still too early to tell. The Democratic controlled Congress must prove themselves worthy before I can predict a Democratic White House. I myself, am on the fence. I like Obama's idealism, but potentially fear his lack of experience. But, another part of me understands how overrated experience in Washington is. John Edwards campaign for the poor is awesome, and his location (N.C.) might make it possible to gain some electoral votes in the South. However, when he was on the ticket in '04, he did not bring any of the South with him. Thus, in a roundabout way, Hillary looks very electable... today.

It would be nice to get a political discussion going Osprey, but previous attempts have failed.

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

I can guarantee u that no republic will get in, Bush has ruined it for them all...

Nor will anyone that says they will not be looking for an end to a war that has gone to long.......

I appreciate your input, I just don't want everyone to feel as if they have to justify their choice.

The last thing I want is an all-out political war.

quote:
It would be nice to get a political discussion going Osprey, but previous attempts have failed.

I believe there is nothing better than a political debate that remains educated, and intelligent.

Sadly, you can't even find that on college campuses today. I am willing to discuss politics with anyone as long as the straw man and personal attack arguments are left out.

quote:
I can guarantee u that no republic will get in, Bush has ruined it for them all...

I tend to agree with you. For Republicans, a picture session with the President is suicide, as proven in the last election.

quote:
Sadly, you can't even find that on college campuses today. I am willing to discuss politics with anyone as long as the straw man and personal attack arguments are left out.

I'm not sure about that one... I'm in the middle of one right now. It's stimulating enough to allow me to be engaged in the discussion and pretend to take notes on my laptop(I'm actually writing on this board)... but my professor doesn't have to know. Go Education!

I think the Republican that has a chance of winning is Giuliani and here is why:

1. Middle America still wants to support our troops, and they see the Democratic party as anti-war, anti-military, soft on terrorism (may not be the case, but it is the perception). Giuliani is very hawkish. This will appeal to red staters.

2. Giuliani is socially liberal. Many swing voters vote solely on social issues. Giuliani is more liberal than the current administration while showing he has a moral compass (Brooklyn Art Gallery fiasco).

3. Giuliani has name recognition. He became America's Mayor after 9/11 and can still ride that popularity.

quote:
Originally posted by WPMagic:

quote:

I'm not sure about that one... I'm in the middle of one right now. It's stimulating enough to allow me to be engaged in the discussion and pretend to take notes on my laptop(I'm actually writing on this board)... but my professor doesn't have to know. Go Education!

Funny you mention that, I am in a politcal statistics class as we speak. However, the forum for politics may be open at UCF, yet I have seen a few students at UNF browbeaten repeatedly by professors who didn't share their exact views.

While I tend to fall on the liberal side of social issues, I find it a crime that colleges are so one-sided idealogically.

quote:
2. Giuliani is socially liberal. Many swing voters vote solely on social issues. Giuliani is more liberal than the current administration while showing he has a moral compass (Brooklyn Art Gallery fiasco).

Giuliani's stance on social issues, while it might bring a few swing voters over, will chase away the far right. These voters, the far right, stayed away from the midterm elections, and cost Republicans seats in typically safe districts. This group, which was single handedly responsible for re-electing Bush in '04, is vital. Karl Rove understood this, and made the best of it before.

As for political discussion at Universities, I guess it depends... I did my undergraduate work at Flagler College, just south of you Osprey's, and found it full of diverse students and faculty... but perhaps I thought that because I am also liberal.

It may be because you are liberal, but you also may have had good experiences in your academic endeavours. I classify myself as a moderate and would love nothing more than to see a fully diverse faculty (both sides of the spectrum).

Right now my school diversity consists of

"Clinton: Great president? or Greatest president?"

"Pro-abortion? or Pro-late term abortion?"

The thing is, I disapprove of what Bush is doing right now, but in a three hour class I am getting 2 and a half hours of Bush bashing.

I can't believe I am hijacking my own thread.