Sign in to follow this  
richnba

Bernie Bickerstaff fired as Charlotte coach

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Michael Jordan now gets a chance to hire a coach for his basketball team.

Jordan, part-owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, said Tuesday that Bernie Bickerstaff will not return as coach next season, although he will complete this one. He will be invited to stay with the team and remains an "integral part" of the franchise.

The third-year expansion team is 23-41 and last in the Southeast Division. Bickerstaff, also the general manager, has been credited with assembling a core of skilled players.

"I want him involved," Jordan said. "We just haven't decided if that's as general manager or president of basketball operations. I see him staying with the organization."

Bickerstaff, 67-161 in three seasons, said when he was first hired that he wanted to coach for only two or three years before becoming the full-time general manager. But when Jordan was brought in as a minority owner last spring and given the final say on basketball decisions, Bickerstaff's future was in doubt.

Jordan said it's too early to talk about the next coach.

"We haven't got to that point," he said. "Bernie is still going to finish out the season. When the season is over, he and I will sit down and have those type of conversations

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Michael Jordan now gets a chance to hire a coach for his basketball team.

Jordan, part-owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, said Tuesday that Bernie Bickerstaff will not return as coach next season, although he will complete this one. He will be invited to stay with the team and remains an "integral part" of the franchise.

The third-year expansion team is 23-41 and last in the Southeast Division. Bickerstaff, also the general manager, has been credited with assembling a core of skilled players.

"I want him involved," Jordan said. "We just haven't decided if that's as general manager or president of basketball operations. I see him staying with the organization."

Bickerstaff, 67-161 in three seasons, said when he was first hired that he wanted to coach for only two or three years before becoming the full-time general manager. But when Jordan was brought in as a minority owner last spring and given the final say on basketball decisions, Bickerstaff's future was in doubt.

Jordan said it's too early to talk about the next coach.

"We haven't got to that point," he said. "Bernie is still going to finish out the season. When the season is over, he and I will sit down and have those type of conversations

It is amazing how much power Jordan has in the organazation.

I thought he was the part owner and yet he seems to be president/GM and owner and probally coach to....