Sign in to follow this  
Ellzolo

NBA Offseason 2013 Thread

Going all in with young guys is fine but you have to be careful in not jumping the gun on where your young talent will project. OKC screwed up by massively overpaying Serge Ibaka thinking that he would develop into someone beyond a role player and thus did one of the worst trades in NBA history to lose Harden. While I think it's unlikely we'll ever be players for a big free agent in the next few years, I could see us getting someone in that Paul Millsap-tier; productive yet underrated guys.

Josh McRoberts resigned with the Bobcats, so good for McBobs. I only mention this for the shameless excuse to nickname drop another "McBobs".

Hoopsworld rankings for the East this season LOL

13. Orlando Magic:

The Magic undoubtedly have a bright future ahead of them, in large part due to the Dwight Howard trade; as we can now safely proclaim Orlando the winners of that deal, as they are the only team to actually benefit from the transaction. When the Magic traded away Howard last summer, they were hoping to get modest production from Nikola Vucevic, who looked extremely raw as a rookie in Philadelphia. However, Nikola developed into a rebounding machine and is suddenly a cornerstone of the Orlando organization. On the season, Vucevic was one of only eight players in the league to average a double-double (13.0 ppg. and 11.9 rpg). Over the final five months of the regular season, from December 1 onward, Vucevic ripped down 798 rebounds, more than any other player in the NBA. Moe Harkless also came over in the D12 deal, despite being just 19 years of age, held his own and showed tremendous potential. Tobias Harris was another youngster the Magic traded for that posted phenomenal numbers over the final few months of the regular season. Now Orlando has added Victor Oladipo to mix, and exciting and super-athletic shooting guard.

With a little luck and few more shrewd moves, the Magic may not find themselves in the Eastern Conference basement much longer; especially considering they will likely have plenty of cap space to play with next summer.

Hoopsworld rankings for the East this season LOL

13. Orlando Magic:

The Magic undoubtedly have a bright future ahead of them, in large part due to the Dwight Howard trade; as we can now safely proclaim Orlando the winners of that deal, as they are the only team to actually benefit from the transaction. When the Magic traded away Howard last summer, they were hoping to get modest production from Nikola Vucevic, who looked extremely raw as a rookie in Philadelphia. However, Nikola developed into a rebounding machine and is suddenly a cornerstone of the Orlando organization. On the season, Vucevic was one of only eight players in the league to average a double-double (13.0 ppg. and 11.9 rpg). Over the final five months of the regular season, from December 1 onward, Vucevic ripped down 798 rebounds, more than any other player in the NBA. Moe Harkless also came over in the D12 deal, despite being just 19 years of age, held his own and showed tremendous potential. Tobias Harris was another youngster the Magic traded for that posted phenomenal numbers over the final few months of the regular season. Now Orlando has added Victor Oladipo to mix, and exciting and super-athletic shooting guard.

With a little luck and few more shrewd moves, the Magic may not find themselves in the Eastern Conference basement much longer; especially considering they will likely have plenty of cap space to play with next summer.

I'm not hoopsworld fan, but I'm not sure what there is to lol at here? I guess I'm missing something...

Who do you guys think will put up a fight for the worst record next season besides orlando, boston and philly? Is that our only competition?

Who do you guys think will put up a fight for the worst record next season besides orlando, boston and philly? Is that our only competition?

Phoenix for sure, maybe Utah, Sacramento, or Toronto?

Charlotte Bobkitties are always frontrunners. At least until their pending rename back to the Hornets goes through, at which point they'll be a 6-8-seed.

Boston won't be as bad as us. Rondo is still there, Green can play some, Marswag might be able to shoot? CLee isn't horrible (just very average) and it looks like Olynyk has game. Toronto won't be as bad as us either. Same with Atlanta. Also think Zeller/Jefferson will make Charlotte better

Phoenix, Milwaukee, Kings, and Philly will be our "top competitors" I think.

DeQuan Jones will not return to the Magic, as indicated by his twitter. (on my phone so no link, sorry)

It's a shame because I like him, but he doesn't really provide a whole lot.