Sign in to follow this  
Ellzolo

NBA Offseason 2013 Thread

I want Nelson to play for the Magic as long as he's willing, and to hang his jersey up in the rafters after he finally calls it a career. I want the one who has been loyal to the team above all else in the last few years to be rewarded. Petty? Oh yes, yes it is. Don't much care about that though.

you have to do what's best for the organization, and to a certain point, what's best for the players.

If you like Nelson as much as I think you do, you'd want him to win. He can do that on a contending team.

Anyway it's just something to keep an eye on. If a contending team loses a PG to injury we can swoop in and make a move that, quite frankly, is a win win for both sides.

you have to do what's best for the organization, and to a certain point, what's best for the players.

If you like Nelson as much as I think you do, you'd want him to win. He can do that on a contending team.

Anyway it's something to keep an eye on. If a contending team loses a PG to injury we can swoop in and make a move that, quite frankly, is a win win for both sides.

Wow, do you realize you just dropped the basketball version of "if you love someone, set them free"? It's not you Jameer, it's us. :sadcrab:

• Upvote 3

Wow, do you realize you just dropped the basketball version of "if you love someone, set them free"? It's not you Jameer, it's us. :sadcrab:/>/>

Now that's funny.

Wow, do you realize you just dropped the basketball version of "if you love someone, set them free"? It's not you Jameer, it's us. smile_sadcrab.gif

Haha!!!

I'm glad you made that point and I agree to a certain extent. I'm bored so I'll continue this.

The way Novak plays compared to Korver is similar in a general sense. They are both top notch shooters. Novak is a basic stationary shooter who can't really do much else. Tell him to curl off a screen and make a split decion pass to a cutting teammate, he can't do that on a regular basis. This is something that Korver does quite well, that is making unbelievably quick decisions. This sounds ridiculous so let me explain.

For example, the Chicago Bulls ran this play for Korver called 2-Up (or something of that nature) in which Korver ran underneath the basket, the PG has the ball at the top of the key. Two screens are made for Korver, one on opposite sides of the lane. Korver screens to one side, the remaining wing player curls off the other, and the screener releases towards the basket. Korver either shoots it in stride or makes a quick pass towards the cutting screener for an inside bucket. This is just one example, some things are not well represented on paper, but Korver has the confidence of his coaches to have specific plays drawn out for him to make lightning quick decisions. This is something a Steve Novak cannot do at this point.

Experience and reliability is what Korver brings to a team aside from his shooting. He doesn't turn the ball over often, in fact he averages just 1 turnover per game during his entire career. His quickness is vastly underrated. His defense isn't a glaring defect in his game, but it does need improvement. I still say he's worth that money and we'll see during the regular season.

But don't try argue with poignant discussion because you disagree with DOM and that automatically means you are an imbecile in some fashion because he is the all knowing hubristic lord of all that is basketball as is evidenced by the following:

and to suggest anything else is to not even vaguely understand the economics of basketball.
  • Upvote 4

Wow, do you realize you just dropped the basketball version of "if you love someone, set them free"? It's not you Jameer, it's us. :sadcrab:/>

Funniest post I have seen in ages.

Glen provides leadership and is a fantastic help defender. Think he has a role on this team. Who's he taking time away from? The greatness that is Nicholson and his senior home game? I understand wanted Tobias to play more but can't he play the wing with Vic or Moe? Heck, put Vic at point, Moe at the 2, and let Tobias play the 3 in some situations. His contract is manageable and think he has intangible qualities that can help the team.

Would much rather see Afflalo and his "im pissed I'm playing the 3 so I'm going to refuse to shoot" bull shipped out of town.

I'm glad you made that point and I agree to a certain extent. I'm bored so I'll continue this.

The way Novak plays compared to Korver is similar in a general sense. They are both top notch shooters. Novak is a basic stationary shooter who can't really do much else. Tell him to curl off a screen and make a split decion pass to a cutting teammate, he can't do that on a regular basis. This is something that Korver does quite well, that is making unbelievably quick decisions. This sounds ridiculous so let me explain.

For example, the Chicago Bulls ran this play for Korver called 2-Up (or something of that nature) in which Korver ran underneath the basket, the PG has the ball at the top of the key. Two screens are made for Korver, one on opposite sides of the lane. Korver screens to one side, the remaining wing player curls off the other, and the screener releases towards the basket. Korver either shoots it in stride or makes a quick pass towards the cutting screener for an inside bucket. This is just one example, some things are not well represented on paper, but Korver has the confidence of his coaches to have specific plays drawn out for him to make lightning quick decisions. This is something a Steve Novak cannot do at this point.

Experience and reliability is what Korver brings to a team aside from his shooting. He doesn't turn the ball over often, in fact he averages just 1 turnover per game during his entire career. His quickness is vastly underrated. His defense isn't a glaring defect in his game, but it does need improvement. I still say he's worth that money and we'll see during the regular season.

I'm not saying Korver doesn't have value. I'm saying Korver's value is substantially smaller than 6m a year from now until he's 36 years old.

For one thing, his defense doesn't "need to improve". His defense is "bad". And he's 32, so he's past his athletic peak, so his defense will likely decline as he loses his quickness(sidenote: I would agree his quickness was mildly underrated in his prime, but for the last 2-3 years I'd argue he had average quickness at best, likely below average. But that's a minor point). That continued loss of quickness and agility will likely affect his offensive versatility as well.

Frankly, it's hard to imagine that Korver will be anything more than a spot-up shooter on offense and a lamppost on defense within a couple years. It's true that some players hold up exceptionally well into their late 30s, but those players tend to be the exception. John Stockton held up tremendously well, and even he could only play 20-25mpg at that age. And Korver doesn't add nearly the same value as someone like Stockton did, even after Stockton became near-useless on defense.

Or to put it differently, I would agree that Kyle Korver has been in his career a better player than Maurice Evans; However, I am and will continue to be baffled by anyone who would quantify that gap by claiming that 32-36 year old Kyle Korver will be worth almost 2.5x more than Maurice Evans has made in any year of his career, prime included.

Anyway it's just something to keep an eye on. If a contending team loses a PG to injury we can swoop in and make a move that, quite frankly, is a win win for both sides.

Agreed, the organization should ship Nelson off to a contender like OKC or even Houston to re-unite with Dwight or something nostalgic like that. I'm sure they could mend their differences and gel very nicely together as a unit in Houston.

What a lot of nancies. The only reason he is still on the team is because Henny hasn't found the right deal.

Wow, do you realize you just dropped the basketball version of "if you love someone, set them free"? It's not you Jameer, it's us. smile_sadcrab.gif