Sign in to follow this  
TrustInHenny

Bulls end Heat streak!

I don't want to believe it, because this is my favorite sport, but there are way too many blown calls for it to be JUST mistakes. This kind of **** doesn't happen on a random night to help the Warriors win a game yanno?

I don't know that, as I don't watch Warriors games unless they're playing the Magic. I suspect that the Warriors benefit from blown calls at a similar rate to any other team.

Superstar calls are obviously something that legitimately happens, so that needs to be taken into account. But flat out game fixing? I don't know about that.

Do you think you'd have the same view if you were a Lakers or Heat fan? Or maybe if you were a Bulls or Knicks fan?

I don't know that, as I don't watch Warriors games unless they're playing the Magic. I suspect that the Warriors benefit from blown calls at a similar rate to any other team.

Superstar calls are obviously something that legitimately happens, so that needs to be taken into account. But flat out game fixing? I don't know about that.

Do you think you'd have the same view if you were a Lakers or Heat fan? Or maybe if you were a Bulls or Knicks fan?

Me personally? I would be man enough to admit that LeBron gets every call. But I know Heat fans who think he's "mistreated" by the refs.

Me personally? I would be man enough to admit that LeBron gets every call. But I know Heat fans who think he's "mistreated" by the refs.

Dwight got a bunch of BS calls in his favor too, yet we had an entire thread dedicated to how mistreated he was by the refs. It's hard to look at this objectively.

R

So the question then is why do those people think he's mistreated?

Is it really that they're all delusional or stupid or just making things up? Or is it that it's really easy to see patterns where we want to see them and fit those patterns to whatever narrative we're pushing?

For example: Let's say you're having a really bad day. Nothing is going right for you that day at all. You're angry and you're pretty sure the whole world is out to make sure you have a bad a day as possible.

At that point, you're driving along somewhere and someone pulls out in front of you or cuts you off or something. You immediately curse that guy, right? In your mind, he's piling on to your bad day and you think he intentionally did it to stick it to you. But if you were having a great day, you probably wouldn't think anything of it. Because in reality that guy knows nothing about you and his decision to pull out in front of you was a petty mistake that happens to everyone.

This is the kind of thing that happens with fans of every team. Heat fans think the NBA is out to get the Heat because you can find lots of small things to support pretty much any premise you can think of. That and everyone wants to feel like their team is the underdog or the team that no one wants to win.

So any time anything happens that might fit with that narrative, they cling to it and ignore everything that contradicts it. It happens with fans of every team in every sport.

So was the NBA helping the streak WWE style, or are we now acknowledging that refs make unprompted mistakes at inopportune times?

Maybe a touch of both? Unprompted mistakes and too many "star" calls for LeBron and company?

Maybe a touch of both? Unprompted mistakes and too many "star" calls for LeBron and company?

Ordered by the NBA though? That's the accusation that gets thrown around.

I think the human element is a perfectly adequate explanation. Refs feel pressure too, and they're going to react to it in ways as varied as the players. Plus they obviously know about the streak.

Ordered by the NBA though? That's the accusation that gets thrown around.

I think the human element is a perfectly adequate explanation. Refs feel pressure too, and they're going to react to it in ways as varied as the players. Plus they obviously know about the streak.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the NBA directly tells refs to fix games, but I do think that they encourage and possibly instruct favorable treatment of certain high profile players. Thus, indirectly, they are fixing games.

WTF, the Heat beat the Spurs in San Antonio without James, Wade and Chalmers??

Spurs almost beat the Heat in SA without more. Most of the time, when the stars are out, the rest of the team gives their best fight. They wouldn't be able to do it consistently, but in a one-game situation, it's pretty common. The Bulls beat the Heat without Noah, Belinelli, or Rose.