Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

Random one but Coby White could be an interesting "second draft" guy. Hasn't lived up to his lottery selection but he was a solid bench player this season, can shoot, has size, can handle and pass, probably has some development left in him, not sure what the market will be for him to be honest but if it's  around the MLE he might outperform that contract in the end (or he might not, it'd be a gamble). 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, hootie249 said:

About Signing Fred. Vanvleet would be a good pickup at 18 million a year or less. Problem is the players have all the power and always seem to get more then we think. Of course he wants more then the almost 20 mil he is making.

I don't think the market will be there for him. No way his agent can ask for more then Brunson just got paid. Remember, unlike young guards like Poole and Simmons, Brunson was a true free agent and he just blew the doors off and he makes 25 million a year. Fred shot much better in the second half, close to his career average. Again for the non believers, Fred is the kind of veteran guy you want, he does play both sides of the floor. But he is not worth more then 20 million a season. If our gm's let the market run it's course and don't rush out to sign somebody i could see the two sides make a reasonable deal.

They could just sign him to a two year deal so it's up when we have to pay Franz and Banchero. This is the scenario i see if we are truly interested in Fred. 

Edit. The real problem is Cole just had a great second half. Another vet guard would put either his or Suggs future in jeopardy. They won't get enough shots.

If Fultz stays healthy there is no doubt he will be the guy we keep and both Cole and Fultz would have to be given contracts this coming year. It's hard to see room for everybody although obviously Harris would be the first to go.

I don't think we want FVV. I just don't see it fitting with our culture, timeline, and play style.

I'll agree that we only have room for either Fultz or Cole. I think Cole wants to be a starter in this league, and wants to get PAID, and as long as Fultz is here, that won't happen. With that being said, Cole has grown a lot on me the second half of the season as a consistent player and I think he's a GREAT locker room guy (loud, encouraging, intense). Our team would miss him if he doesn't return. 

• Upvote 1

Going to have to second the notion of throwing a contract at Cam Johnson and hoping the Mets won’t match. Basically a playoff vet at this point, and brings shooting we lack. You would probably have to start him so idk how the lineup would work, but I think there would be little downside 

Not insignificant news we've hired a VP of Player Performance and Wellness with more than 20 years experience. This org want everyone healthy now the tanking seasons are over. 

• Upvote 1

Wizards fired their GM. Guessing they're going to blow it up. 

Wouldn't mind snagging Monte Morris if they do (not at all interested in Beal, Porzingis or Kuzma).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Wizards fired their GM. Guessing they're going to blow it up. 

Wouldn't mind snagging Monte Morris if they do (not at all interested in Beal, Porzingis or Kuzma).

Depends on where we’re drafting, and what we’re trading for him, but I wouldn’t hate it. I do like him.

Having good PG play is very important. Look how well Memphis plays with Tyus Jones when Ja is out. Monte is another one of those guys who gets overlooked. Good solid player.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Depends on where we’re drafting, and what we’re trading for him, but I wouldn’t hate it. I do like him.

Yea if we draft another PG we've realistically got no spot for him, and we may not anyway if we plan to head into the season with all 3 of Fultz/Cole/Suggs but in a vacuum a solid backup PG who can play-make and shoot would be great for this team. 

Basically if we made any trades that left us short at PG Morris would be a good backup to target. 

I like Morris for this team as well.. But right now i’d feel like i wouldn’t break up our rotation for Morris.. I like Suggs and Cole of the bench more than i like Morris.. 

Now if we facilitate a trade where we had to give up multiple assets, i wouldn’t mind getting a player like Morris for a relatively cheap trade.. 

If we are looking to add veterans, i have two on top of my list! Probably a pipe dream but i’d love it for this team.

Trade for Conley and convince Vucevic to take on a veteran role off the bench for this team! That would be amazing 

4 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

I like Morris for this team as well.. But right now i’d feel like i wouldn’t break up our rotation for Morris.. I like Suggs and Cole of the bench more than i like Morris.. 

Now if we facilitate a trade where we had to give up multiple assets, i wouldn’t mind getting a player like Morris for a relatively cheap trade.. 

If we are looking to add veterans, i have two on top of my list! Probably a pipe dream but i’d love it for this team.

Trade for Conley and convince Vucevic to take on a veteran role off the bench for this team! That would be amazing 

I'd love to pay Vuc the MLE to be the backup C. Not even for his play which isn't really what we need at backup 5 but just for the emotions. 

• Like 1