Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

32 minutes ago, DestroidMengars said:

I posted this earlier today in the season thread, but it fits better here. It's a summary of where the Magic stand this offseason:

Orlando Magic Offseason Guide: Foundation to take that NEXT step | NBA on ESPN - YouTube

"There's no team set up better moving forward in the Eastern Conference than the Orlando Magic." (Bobby Marks - ESPN).

Love it! Good post.

• Like 2

Jonathan Isaac has more upside than any free agent this year or maybe the next five. Give this guy the summer to really get in peak shape and the sky is the limit for him and this team. If he doesn’t come back healthy and ready for 30 plus minutes a game, then cut the ties and let him go. This summer is make it or break it for JI. 

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see how things play out next season when there are actually some expectations.  I think people will not be so accepting if the team fails to make the playoffs again.  And other teams may take the Magic more seriously.   Will we take that next step, or will we fold?   It’s going to be interesting to watch.  I don’t feel confident enough to make a prediction either way.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JJZFL said:

It will be interesting to see how things play out next season when there are actually some expectations.  I think people will not be so accepting if the team fails to make the playoffs again.  And other teams may take the Magic more seriously.   Will we take that next step, or will we fold?   It’s going to be interesting to watch.  I don’t feel confident enough to make a prediction either way.  

I truly think if a Donovan Mitchell level player becomes available this summer that we pounce 

1 hour ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Jonathan Isaac has more upside than any free agent this year or maybe the next five. Give this guy the summer to really get in peak shape and the sky is the limit for him and this team. If he doesn’t come back healthy and ready for 30 plus minutes a game, then cut the ties and let him go. This summer is make it or break it for JI. 

Agree …in the 11 games he played the Magic went 8-3 and posted a 107.7 defensive rating .

4 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I truly think if a Donovan Mitchell level player becomes available this summer that we pounce 

Agree

5 hours ago, DestroidMengars said:

I posted this earlier today in the season thread, but it fits better here. It's a summary of where the Magic stand this offseason:

Orlando Magic Offseason Guide: Foundation to take that NEXT step | NBA on ESPN - YouTube

I really appreciate the work you put into creating this "offseason guide" --- well done!  Although our team missed the playoffs (by just a few games!) this year, I am also among those fans who are feeling very inspired by the work the team put in this year to truly grow together, and put together competitive performances most evenings.

On 4/12/2023 at 5:54 PM, JJZFL said:

The pressure is on for sure next season....for many it's a given that we are making the PLAYOFFS straight up, for other it's not a given, and understandingly so.

To make it straight up this year in the EC, it required 45 wins....we won 34 times. 

Plus the league overall, both conferences, was very tight, very competitive this year. And next year even more with such a good draft class joining in.

I wonder, which top 10 team, the Magic will replace in the Play-in or Playoffs next year? I know, nobody knows for sure but I'm going to eliminate the Heat and or Raptors. Especially the Raptors if they decide to part ways with some of their core players.

20 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

To make it straight up this year in the EC, it required 45 wins....we won 34 times. 

This is true, but we started 5-20 with really bad injury luck and went 29-28 the rest of the way. If we were healthy there's a reasonable chance we go something more like 12-13 those first 25. Plus let's not forget we rested players in the last 3 games, there's probably a solid chance we win at least 1 of those with everyone healthy and playing full minutes with motivation. That'd be 42 wins. Basically we're a .500 team.

If you take that as reasonable then we really only need to improve by 3 or so wins this summer to be the 6th seed in the EC.