Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Disclaimer: I've never heard of this guy or this website but it's an article on the Magic with quotes from other execs:

https://heavy.com/sports/orlando-magic/offseason-grant-williams-gary-trent/

TLDR: "League sources" think we might target Gary Trent and Grant Williams and that we also won't be waiving Isaac or Fultz. 

But it's very much worth remembering League sources believed we were drafting Jabari Smith Jr. 

Still it's worth thinking about as it feels reasonable.

I've long thought Grant Williams would be a good bet. He's a 24 year old who's already played in 61 playoff games, that experience would be vital for this team. Plus he's solid defensively and shoots about 40% from 3 on catch and shoot, quite often corner, 3s. If you could get him for like 4/60 with a last year team option I'd be down for that. It's not a flashy move but it'd absolutely make us better.

(I'm expecting a negative reaction to the suggestion of Grant Williams)

Grant Williams wouldn’t be bad if that last year is a team option like you said. 

I just can’t decide on Trent Jr. He can score for sure and is the right age for this team. He just does little else and will probably cost a lot. There aren’t a lot of options at Guard but I still like him better than FVV and what he will cost. 

Next years free agents aren’t great either. I think consolidating players and picks for a trade is the way to go at some point between this years draft and the trade deadline. 

5 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

Grant Williams wouldn’t be bad if that last year is a team option like you said. 

I just can’t decide on Trent Jr. He can score for sure and is the right age for this team. He just does little else and will probably cost a lot. There aren’t a lot of options at Guard but I still like him better than FVV and what he will cost. 

Next years free agents aren’t great either. I think consolidating players and picks for a trade is the way to go at some point between this years draft and the trade deadline. 

Both players would be great adds. Grant Williams I've followed since college (my wife is a pretty hard core Tennessee fan - was the 2x SEC Player of the Year) and he's not just a hard-working player but is incredibly smart and a great locker room guy (He's the VP of the NBAPA this year, replacing Andre Igudala in that role). He was only a 2nd round pick but has obviously made the most of what natural gifts he has as a 6'6" PF essentially. He'll always be a reserve, but he'll push guys to be the best version of themselves on and off the court.

100% behind this signing as there are intangibles there that won't show up on the stat line. 

• Like 1

I've become pretty low on Gary Trent to be honest. Would honestly rather stick with Gary Harris given the cost difference would likely be quite a lot.

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I've become pretty low on Gary Trent to be honest. Would honestly rather stick with Gary Harris given the cost difference would likely be quite a lot.

Me too....but, we shall see the FA or FA's that we can get to help us win big.

Brooks Lopez?

I don’t think I really like anybody in FA this year. To me the question is are we going to make a trade, or are we going to use our picks and just keep building organically. There’s not one realistic free agent this year I’d be excited to pay up for 

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

We can finally see Dwight and CP3 playing together for our team

I audibly lol'd. Thanks Mauro for the throwback. This board was on fire for about 48 hours when that almost happened. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I audibly lol'd. Thanks Mauro for the throwback. This board was on fire for about 48 hours when that almost happened. 

I think those of us on the board are the only ones who actually thought it was almost happening lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

I think those of us on the board are the only ones who actually thought it was almost happening lol

I thought it was internet bs / fun for the longest time until ESPN had a segment with "Magic trying to acquire Chris Paul" and I thought "this can't be happening for real".

It was during my first visit to Florida so I'll never forget it haha

14 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

974 pages and 11683 replies should tell us that was on fire for more than 48 hours! :P

• Like 2