Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

1 hour ago, MagicMan1979 said:

This has been written about many times. His contract can be waived by a certain date and will save the team money. The idea has been you include him with an actual valuable asset (players or draft picks) for a good player with a large contract.  There are a lot of teams that want to slash salary. The New CBA is coming and it’s a game changer for these teams. I highly recommend  familiarising your self with what happens when The New CBA kicks in next year.  

This isn't actually possible. Isaac only counts as his guaranteed amount in trades until his contract is guaranteed. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

This isn't actually possible. Isaac only counts as his guaranteed amount in trades until his contract is guaranteed. 

That’s really interesting/significant information. 

11 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Can you give me a link?   I have heard The Ringer guys talk about it. From what I can find he can be waived by January 10 and only his partial contract is guaranteed. If you are correct that really sucks lol. 

Orlandholic from what I heard and have seen you could use him and say Cole/ or Suggs plus a draft pick or picks for a player.  Like this https://bullswire.usatoday.com/lists/chicago-bulls-trade-rumors-zach-lavine-orlando-magic-jalen-suggs/  or this https://www.si.com/nba/magic/news/orland-magic-portland-trail-blazers-damian-lillard-nba-draft-trade-rumors-markelle-fultz

‘The other option if he isn’t traded is to waive him ourselves. Save money and use it on free agency. I am just not willing to pay him 17 million for nothing. Almost anybody would be better. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

Can you give me a link?   I have heard The Ringer guys talk about it. From what I can find he can be waived by January 10 and only his partial contract is guaranteed. If you are correct that really sucks lol. 

Orlandholic from what I heard and have seen you could use him and say Cole/ or Suggs plus a draft pick or picks for a player.  Like this https://bullswire.usatoday.com/lists/chicago-bulls-trade-rumors-zach-lavine-orlando-magic-jalen-suggs/  or this https://www.si.com/nba/magic/news/orland-magic-portland-trail-blazers-damian-lillard-nba-draft-trade-rumors-markelle-fultz

‘The other option if he isn’t traded is to waive him ourselves. Save money and use it on free agency. I am just not willing to pay him 17 million for nothing. Almost anybody would be better. 

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/why-non-guaranteed-contracts-arent-ideal-trade-chips.html

7 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

i just don’t think those names are realistic.. 

Lilliard wants to win. He doesn’t want to play with our young core, doesn’t even want to play with the young core in Portland.. 

maybe Zach Lavine is a realistic target. Personally i would pass because i think his contract is toxic. 

If Zach Lavine is the trade i’d rather build only through the draft and FA. 

We also have to keep in mind that this locker room has a special connection/chemistry. 
So if i’m trading i’d look to add somebody who fits.. 

The Magic have almost got too many options this off season. Something has to give. We can't both sign a (or more than 1) free agent, draft at both 6 and 11 and not waive either of Harris or Isaac. It's too many bodies. We need to make a trade or something. 

Even if we waived Isaac and Harris we'd have like $40m in cap room that'd need spending. 

Unless you can pull off a blockbuster trade (that moves both players and assets), and I really don't see one out there that makes sense for us right now, I think we trade one of 6 and 11. Not for a player (because again you run into the too many bodies thing) but for future picks. 

Like if Toronto or San Antonio offered 3 or 4 future firsts for 6 or 11 you probably consider that heavily. 

Maybe there's a sign and trade deal for an RFA that makes some sense? I don't know. 

But I just tried to map out an off-season plan where I waived JI and used the cap space to add vet roleplayers and we ended up with like 14 rotation players.. 

2 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

The Magic have almost got too many options this off season. Something has to give. We can't both sign a (or more than 1) free agent, draft at both 6 and 11 and not waive either of Harris or Isaac. It's too many bodies. We need to make a trade or something. 

Even if we waived Isaac and Harris we'd have like $40m in cap room that'd need spending. 

Unless you can pull off a blockbuster trade (that moves both players and assets), and I really don't see one out there that makes sense for us right now, I think we trade one of 6 and 11. Not for a player (because again you run into the too many bodies thing) but for future picks. 

Like if Toronto or San Antonio offered 3 or 4 future firsts for 6 or 11 you probably consider that heavily. 

Maybe there's a sign and trade deal for an RFA that makes some sense? I don't know. 

But I just tried to map out an off-season plan where I waived JI and used the cap space to add vet roleplayers and we ended up with like 14 rotation players.. 

i’d say we need to package at least Okeke, Bol Bol and Harris and bring somebody in. Hopefully a backup center. 

If we draft Walker and Coulibaly, i wouldn’t mind if we’d use that package to trade for Nurkic. I’m actually a friend of having a great backup center. Nurkic is a great veteran and could provide leadership and be valuable just like S. Adams and Valanciunas is for their teams.. 

My preferred trade would actually be for Patrick Williams or D. Hunter. in that trade we’d need to include draft capital though. 

8 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

i’d say we need to package at least Okeke, Bol Bol and Harris and bring somebody in. Hopefully a backup center. 

If we draft Walker and Coulibaly, i wouldn’t mind if we’d use that package to trade for Nurkic. I’m actually a friend of having a great backup center. Nurkic is a great veteran and could provide leadership and be valuable just like S. Adams and Valanciunas is for their teams.. 

My preferred trade would actually be for Patrick Williams or D. Hunter. in that trade we’d need to include draft capital though. 

Don't think Okeke or Bol have much value at the minute. They're both candidates to be waived I'd imagine as much as traded. 

Cheap backup C thought (I'm thinking less than the mid level): Dwight Powell. I think he gets a bit of a bad rep because he's expected to do far too much in Dallas. He's started 70 games a season the last 2 seasons and he's just not a starting big but he's a mobile big who's an awesome finisher around the rim, good in pick and roll, sets solid screens, can pass a bit and he'll probably have a relationship with Mosely from his time in Dallas. 

3 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

i just don’t think those names are realistic.. 

Lilliard wants to win. He doesn’t want to play with our young core, doesn’t even want to play with the young core in Portland.. 

maybe Zach Lavine is a realistic target. Personally i would pass because i think his contract is toxic. 

If Zach Lavine is the trade i’d rather build only through the draft and FA. 

We also have to keep in mind that this locker room has a special connection/chemistry. 
So if i’m trading i’d look to add somebody who fits.. 

I agree I don’t want either trade for us. I am not a huge Lavine guy with his injury history. I was just giving you examples that you asked for and those are the latest that have been written about. 

CTMagicUK is spot on in his thinking we can’t have too many bodies. Thank you for the link also. We could have done the get out of jail last year when his contract was still fully guaranteed when it decreased that option is gone I suppose. 

My concern is having too many young players that need minutes to develop. Especially two lottery players. We don’t want the Olodipo, Fournier, Harris, Gordon, Payton and Vuch situation again. Especially anybody who takes minutes away from Paolo and Franz. I feel like we already have a lot of young not so great guards and Cole is about to get paid. 

I wouldn’t be against a trade up for Scoot like Soul has said though. 

It was clear we weren't going to make a risky move with one of the coaches available, but a lot of teams are also hiring great assistants and skill ones, while there's not a lot of movements in our staff. Hope FO is right and there's no need to improve, but I'm not sure about that.