Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

"Here's the short explanation: as the Lakers only have Early Bird Rights, they cannot pay Reaves more than 105% of the previous season's average player salary. All told, that means the Lakers can only offer Reaves around $53 million over four years. Other teams, however, are not limited by this restriction. They must make Reaves an offer the Lakers can legally match—which would start at that $11.4 million figure and rise only slightly in the second season—but those restrictions lift in the third and fourth season of the deal, when he could make anything up to his max. For teams with cap space, this isn't especially cumbersome. The total amount Reaves could get as a restricted free agent is roughly $99 million over four years, but a team signing Reaves with space could format that deal in a more traditional structure because they are not bound by Early Bird Rights. But the Lakers? If they match such an offer sheet, the deal has to be backloaded to abide by the Arenas Provision."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-rumors-projecting-the-cost-of-re-signing-key-free-agents-like-austin-reaves-and-rui-hachimura/

Great post Soul Bro.  I thought no matter what The Lakers would match since he’s been so good for them.  I like him a lot as well.  

"Here's the short explanation: as the Lakers only have Early Bird Rights, they cannot pay Reaves more than 105% of the previous season's average player salary. All told, that means the Lakers can only offer Reaves around $53 million over four years. Other teams, however, are not limited by this restriction. They must make Reaves an offer the Lakers can legally match—which would start at that $11.4 million figure and rise only slightly in the second season—but those restrictions lift in the third and fourth season of the deal, when he could make anything up to his max. For teams with cap space, this isn't especially cumbersome. The total amount Reaves could get as a restricted free agent is roughly $99 million over four years, but a team signing Reaves with space could format that deal in a more traditional structure because they are not bound by Early Bird Rights. But the Lakers? If they match such an offer sheet, the deal has to be backloaded to abide by the Arenas Provision."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-rumors-projecting-the-cost-of-re-signing-key-free-agents-like-austin-reaves-and-rui-hachimura/

This is super interesting, up until reading this I was under the impression that any team who offered the contract would also have the contract structured in that poison pill way. Which made it kind of unpalatable as we approach the Franz/Paolo max deals. But if we can offer like 4/90 or whatever and pay it as a flat 22.5 that makes it much more reasonable. 

I still think the Lakers probably match anything on Reaves anyway but maybe not.

56 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

lol that’s too much money for a hype player.. he had great moments, but let not forget he was playing alongside  pretty darn good players.. 

People are hesitant to pay Cam Johnson but at the same time would break the bank for Reaves? He fills a need much better for this team.

That Reaves deal is going to be an interesting gamble.. I bet the Warriors regret paying J. Poole after his hyped up season. It’s just too dangerous imo.. Before the punch Poole looked like an all star and still ended up having a decent regular season.  His number are great when he gets starter minutes when Klay or Steph miss games.  He is a buy low candidate IMO.

Also Reaves was getting superstar treatment from the refs. I don’t know why but certainly he ain’t shooting that amount of free throws in Orlando.  

I am not against going after Poole in a trade as we could get him cheap and he would fit next to Fultz.  I also really was impressed with Reaves.  I don’t think he’s some Biyombo playoff fluke at all.

Jordan Poole’s numbers in the 26 games Steph missed time this year. 26 Pts 5 Assist 3 Rebounds.  

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/jordan-poole-stats-without-steph-curry-2023

After reading this article, I am all about going after one of the Laker's guards in free agency, just not the one most people are talking about. I think it might be the time to go after Dennis Schroder. We could offer him most (or all, if necessary) of the MLE to bring him in, which wouldn't put him completely out of their range, but with the potential for putting them at the hard-cap, it would be something they would have to really struggle over. It might mean they have to choose between re-signing Reaves and letting go of Schroder. I think he would be a good addition for us, but I will be the first to admit that screwing the Lakers would be an extremely attractive side benefit as well. 

I’m not going to get too deep into personal political beliefs because I don’t feel it’s appropriate as a moderator on this forum. However, I will say Isaac making his platform he decides to stand on one of not supporting his teammates is disappointing. I wish he’d stop playing politics and get his ass back on the court for more than a handful of games every few seasons.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1