Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

12 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

I think we could get any them for one pick, Isaak’s contract and a guard out if the group of (Cole, Suggs, or Harris).  

Golden State would probably like that deal for Poole. Injury-free Isaac would be terrific over there

7 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

The market is still high for players considering the Rudy Gobert trade. Unless we're looking at multiple picks and young assets, I must think the asks are going to be too high unless the other side really is in desperate need of moving the contract. I think all 3 would have those issues. 

That was before The New CBA Deal. These 3 players wouldn’t cost much because of the implications of the new agreement. Also non of them are super stars so there is no chance it would take multiple picks.  

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Golden State would probably like that deal for Poole. Injury-free Isaac would be terrific over there

They would probably waive him to save a ton of money. Isaak’s value is in his non guaranteed contract. This would allow them to resign Draymond for example. Next year the whole world changes with how you can build your team. 

Some cap stuff while I'm bored on my lunch break at work:

Projected cap: $134m

Our current salaries (including team options and non guaranteed): $107m 

Picks 6 and 11 (providing we make and keep both selections) project to be a combined salary of just over $11m I believe. 

Gives us $16m in cap space at present. 

Could easily clear another $7m by waiving Bol before his guaranteed date and not picking up the team options on MCW or Schofield. Plus another $2m by declining the Goga team option also. 

So if we needed to, we could comfortably get to $25m in cap space without waiving Gary Harris who, if we waived him before the deadline, would give us an additional $13m. 

Taking us to $38m. 

Even if we spent all our cap space we can still bring back Mo Wagner with his early bird rights should we want to do so, so that won't be an issue either. 

Honestly I think now might be the time to beef the bench up. Especially given the injury history of WCJ, Fultz, Suggs, Gary Harris and Isaac (presuming we head into the season with all of those guys). I'd love us to throw $15- 20m at a quality free agent, use the room exception (2 years 11m, maybe over pay someone who'd otherwise sign with a contender for the minimum) to bring in another vet roleplayer for the bench and then bring back Wagner at like 2 years 7m. 

I'm thinking we maybe start to change the complexion of our roster a little from like a bench full of young or inexperienced guys who we're kind of hoping develop in the background and in spot minutes to a couple less of those guys replaced with more established veterans (not necessarily old guys but not young and inexperienced) who can come in and play a role if needed but who are still on short, flexible contracts. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Some cap stuff while I'm bored on my lunch break at work:

Projected cap: $134m

Our current salaries (including team options and non guaranteed): $107m 

Picks 6 and 11 (providing we make and keep both selections) project to be a combined salary of just over $11m I believe. 

Gives us $16m in cap space at present. 

Could easily clear another $7m by waiving Bol before his guaranteed date and not picking up the team options on MCW or Schofield. Plus another $2m by declining the Goga team option also. 

So if we needed to, we could comfortably get to $25m in cap space without waiving Gary Harris who, if we waived him before the deadline, would give us an additional $13m. 

Taking us to $38m. 

Even if we spent all our cap space we can still bring back Mo Wagner with his early bird rights should we want to do so, so that won't be an issue either. 

Honestly I think now might be the time to beef the bench up. Especially given the injury history of WCJ, Fultz, Suggs, Gary Harris and Isaac (presuming we head into the season with all of those guys). I'd love us to throw $15- 20m at a quality free agent, use the room exception (2 years 11m, maybe over pay someone who'd otherwise sign with a contender for the minimum) to bring in another vet roleplayer for the bench and then bring back Wagner at like 2 years 7m. 

I'm thinking we maybe start to change the complexion of our roster a little from like a bench full of young or inexperienced guys who we're kind of hoping develop in the background and in spot minutes to a couple less of those guys replaced with more established veterans (not necessarily old guys but not young and inexperienced) who can come in and play a role if needed but who are still on short, flexible contracts. 

I’m okay with that in theory, but the problem comes from the specifics of who is available and what it will take to get them.

Take on the last year of Evan Fournier's contract from the Knicks as long as they send Hartenstein back with him. Send them back Goga and Chuma. For us this means kicking the can on free agency one more year. So if your stuck on us signing anyone like Trent or Brown this year ignore my post.

Now there are many reasons both teams would do this and mostly it's about money. New York would be interested because they need to clear cap to keep Hart and still have cheap bench players. Rose is coming off the books for them.  We can absorb most of the traded money without sending matching money back. Those two things help NY a ton. So it makes losing Hartenstein worth it. They also get two young players who in theory Tom Thibodeau can mold into his guys. 

For us it's really simple. We wanted Hartenstein and we get him. Our Gm knew we needed to beef up around the post and we still do. Evan has a nice homecoming and he can knock down the 3 ball. Both players are expiring so they can give us cap relief or trade bait or whatever during or after the season. Hopefully Isaiah plays well and sticks around.

This allows us to draft the best players available and have a couple vets who fill needs. Not sure what was going on between Evan and Tom but the guy can still hit the 3 and is usually healthy. Hartenstein was a beast in the Cavs/Knicks series and i'm sure they don't want to lose him but Robinson is still the starter.

This simple moves helps the bench this year and leaves a clear path to extending all of our drafted players moving forward. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Take on the last year of Evan Fournier's contract from the Knicks as long as they send Hartenstein back with him. Send them back Goga and Chuma. For us this means kicking the can on free agency one more year. So if your stuck on us signing anyone like Trent or Brown this year ignore my post.

Now there are many reasons both teams would do this and mostly it's about money. New York would be interested because they need to clear cap to keep Hart and still have cheap bench players. Rose is coming off the books for them.  We can absorb most of the traded money without sending matching money back. Those two things help NY a ton. So it makes losing Hartenstein worth it. They also get two young players who in theory Tom Thibodeau can mold into his guys. 

For us it's really simple. We wanted Hartenstein and we get him. Our Gm knew we needed to beef up around the post and we still do. Evan has a nice homecoming and he can knock down the 3 ball. Both players are expiring so they can give us cap relief or trade bait or whatever during or after the season. Hopefully Isaiah plays well and sticks around.

This allows us to draft the best players available and have a couple vets who fill needs. Not sure what was going on between Evan and Tom but the guy can still hit the 3 and is usually healthy. Hartenstein was a beast in the Cavs/Knicks series and i'm sure they don't want to lose him but Robinson is still the starter.

This simple moves helps the bench this year and leaves a clear path to extending all of our drafted players moving forward. 

The Knicks have bird rights on Josh Hart they don't need cap space to resign him.  They can give him like $20m a year and still be under the tax. 

Be surprised if they move Hartenstein given Robinson's injury history.

I'd honestly take Fournier as a straight salary dump if they needed to do that, he can shoot and he's decent enough to play 15-20 mins a night off the bench for us. But they'd have to sweeten the deal somehow because I wouldn't just be doing them a favour. 

26 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

Translation - we gave up too much to get him, we have to do something to at least get something back instead of letting him walk as a free agent. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

The Knicks have bird rights on Josh Hart they don't need cap space to resign him.  They can give him like $20m a year and still be under the tax. 

Be surprised if they move Hartenstein given Robinson's injury history.

I'd honestly take Fournier as a straight salary dump if they needed to do that, he can shoot and he's decent enough to play 15-20 mins a night off the bench for us. But they'd have to sweeten the deal somehow because I wouldn't just be doing them a favour. 

Of course the Knicks will be looking to just straight up salary dump Evan. For whatever reason he has been glued to the bench in New York. And they have a ton of 1st round picks to do it.

They are all picks from other teams that either will not convey or be mid to late teens,so yeah whoever wants that can have it easily.Evan and another first just to take on one year. 

I would just want Isaiah as well.

Is there any rationale to save salary cap space knowing the CBA is going to be much harder on luxury taxes in the coming years and presumably our rookies coming up in the next 2-3 years will all see pretty advanced pay raises, including Paolo whom at this rate of growth might get a max contract?