Soul Bro

2023 Off-Season Thread

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Rumours (unsubstantiated ones by randoms not any reporters) that Vuc wants to return to us this summer and is willing to sacrifice salary to make it happen.

I remember seeing something awhile ago where someone asked about returning and he said he'd love to. This was maybe 1-2 years ago, can't really remember. He has been making around 25m per season for awhile now. I wonder if he'd accept something like 4 yrs 50m.

edit: Guess it was just a few months ago

https://www.si.com/nba/magic/news/chicago-bulls-nikola-vucevic-would-love-to-return-to-orlando-magic

Nikola Vucevic, who spent nine years with the Magic from 2012-21, said on "The Sixth Man Show" that he would be interested in a potential reunion with the team.

"That's something I would love to do," Vucevic said on The Sixth Man Show. "We'll see when that is possible, if that's realistic and how it works out. If anything, at least get one last year in Orlando. I think it's only right it happens, so we'll see. I feel like I have a lot of basketball left, but yeah, for sure that's something on my mind. I can't say it's not."

Just now, Evergreen said:

I remember seeing something awhile ago where someone asked about returning and he said he'd love to. This was maybe 1-2 years ago, can't really remember. He has been making around 25m per season for awhile now. I wonder if he'd accept something like 4 yrs 50m.

Honestly Id want it to be closer to the MLE (4 years 45 million is about the max for that) and honestly I'd probably only want 2 or 3 years of that guaranteed. 

Vuc is great and he'd probably get more on the open market but he's almost 33 and he wasn't the most mobile 5 years ago. And also, possibly more importantly, we have our starting C and I wouldn't want to give Vuc a contract that would cast any doubt on who that is. 

5 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Honestly Id want it to be closer to the MLE (4 years 45 million is about the max for that) and honestly I'd probably only want 2 or 3 years of that guaranteed. 

Vuc is great and he'd probably get more on the open market but he's almost 33 and he wasn't the most mobile 5 years ago. And also, possibly more importantly, we have our starting C and I wouldn't want to give Vuc a contract that would cast any doubt on who that is. 

Vuc never wanted to leave here. His wife and kids both loved it. Weather is better. Vuc doesn't come off to me as a guy who wants the bright lights of the city. He'll take a small town over a big city. He was loved here. People in Chicago are frustrated by him. 

I would LOVE Vuc to come back to Orlando, be a locker room guy, and talk to our young guys about how "grass isn't always greener." 100% would become a Nick Anderson / Bo Outlaw of the next generation as a community ambassador and even occasionally commentator if that's something he has a knack for. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I figured with the four year deal making the 4th year a team option.

I'm not convinced WCJ is a starting quality center on a championship team, though I could be wrong. I'm more concerned with our backcourt because I'm not thrilled with anyone we have to be honest. Fultz is okay but he's given us nothing to show he can stay healthy for an entire NBA regular season much less four playoff series on top of it. If this team is going to truly turn the corner it has to have players it can rely on when the games matter most and I don't think Fultz is that guy.

Getting rid of Isaac and Fultz would free up roughly 25m in cap room. Doubt it will happen but I wouldn't be upset about it.

As said a lot of times before, big NO to Vuc coming back.

On a side note, Hezonja won the Euroleague with his team.

• Like 1

I’m in on Vooch coming back as a 6th man on a reasonable contract with an early out to retire here. He’s definitely gonna be hanging with Nick and Bo as a team ambassador when he hangs em up, might as well let him move back home now if he wants to.

6 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

I’m in on Vooch coming back as a 6th man on a reasonable contract with an early out to retire here. He’s definitely gonna be hanging with Nick and Bo as a team ambassador when he hangs em up, might as well let him move back home now if he wants to.

I’d be fine with a short deal. I like the idea of having an international presence as part of our Magic, post-playing, vet presence.

• Upvote 1

Here's one out of left field, what if we brought Dwight back as a vet presence, give him maybe 10 mins a night? Watching his Taoyuan highlights and he actually doesn't look that bad for a 37 year old playing 35 mpg. Would be even cooler if we signed Vuc and they played on the same team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

On 5/22/2023 at 7:19 PM, Evergreen said:

Here's one out of left field, what if we brought Dwight back as a vet presence, give him maybe 10 mins a night? Watching his Taoyuan highlights and he actually doesn't look that bad for a 37 year old playing 35 mpg. Would be even cooler if we signed Vuc and they played on the same team.

Legitimate question for you, what type of vet presence do you think Dwight will bring?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Legitimate question for you, what type of vet presence do you think Dwight will bring?

I think he has matured a bit, perhaps humbled might be more accurate. I watched an interview with him and Shannon Sharpe awhile ago where he said he wants to mentor young players. He has played every role in the NBA from franchise star to bench player, he has extensive playoff experience, he's been part of big trades, played in many different systems, played with other superstars, and has been loved by the fan base he played for and hated. He has basically experienced everything a pro athlete can, if his intentions are good you can argue young players can learn more from him than nearly any other player in the league. He also looks fit enough to be able to contribute on the court and would give us someone who can defend the paint which we don't really have.

Sign him for a cheap non-guaranteed contract. If he doesn't work out you simply waive him and move on. I see it as all reward no risk.