Sign in to follow this  
CTMagicUK

2023 NBA Playoffs Thread

I don’t know where Austin Reeves came from or where he played but that kid is a baller …he was making all the big plays for the Lakers down the stretch …I was pissed when he torched us late in the season but now I don’t feel so bad lol …wow 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I don’t know where Austin Reeves came from or where he played but that kid is a baller …he was making all the big plays for the Lakers down the stretch …I was pissed when he torched us late in the season but now I don’t feel so bad lol …wow 

Yes! Wow!!!

17 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

He’s HIM.

Hachimura scorching hot.

LeBron played one of the worst games I’ve seen from him but the Lakers depth is just impressive. 

1 hour ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Since we’re on the topic, Reaves would be a perfect player for our team.

His defense was also unbelievable 

Pretty sure he is an unrestricted free agent.

Damn checked he is restricted. Oh well offer him 15 million a year...lol

Edit found this little gem.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/next-contract-series-austin-reaves-1816/

Terrence Ross did nothing in a playoff game. This is the time to remember that body types mean nothing if a player can't play,won't play or doesn't play defense.

T-Ross is a 6 foot 6 guard with mad hops. You all saw him for six years when he has an unguarded lane to the basket. Looks like he might be good.      Unplayable.

Evan Fournier is a 6 foot 6 guard that can hit a 3 point shot. Is unplayable in Boston and New York. Not hurt at all, just doesn't pass the ball or play defense.

Remember this when we draft or offer a free agent contract. it's not all about size or other ****. Can they play basketball?

3 hours ago, hootie249 said:

Terrence Ross did nothing in a playoff game. This is the time to remember that body types mean nothing if a player can't play,won't play or doesn't play defense.

T-Ross is a 6 foot 6 guard with mad hops. You all saw him for six years when he has an unguarded lane to the basket. Looks like he might be good.      Unplayable.

Evan Fournier is a 6 foot 6 guard that can hit a 3 point shot. Is unplayable in Boston and New York. Not hurt at all, just doesn't pass the ball or play defense.

Remember this when we draft or offer a free agent contract. it's not all about size or other ****. Can they play basketball?

Good point worth considering everytime as fans we over-evaluate our own players. Silly example: Bol at some point seemed like a God here, a few were already saying that was going to be unplayable on playoffs, and he actually became unplayable even in regular season...

Another point is: everyone fell in love and mention the last guy that has a great playoff game and became a target for the future. Playoffs doesn't totally tell the truth either, and you often risk of overpaying for a good run of games. We've a clear recent example in our history with Byiombo, unfortunately.

I've got another one besides obvious Evan and Tross. Still laughing at the Magic giving Evan all those starting minutes and Thibodeau won't even let Evan on the floor most nights.

I mean, most of us knew it at the time, the guys here are real NBA fans. We all knew we had a roster of back ups and 4th or 5th starters. Even though i have lightened my heart when it comes to Gordon he is still at best the 4th or 5th most important Nugget. Anyone watch the game? It was late.

8 hours ago, hootie249 said:

This is why I think it's vital for the Magic's leadership to be honest about our roster. The intensity and two-way skill needed in the playoffs is so much higher than the regular season. For the development of Franz and Paulo, we really need to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs next year. This might be the best first round slugfests I can remember in history. 

28 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

This is why I think it's vital for the Magic's leadership to be honest about our roster. The intensity and two-way skill needed in the playoffs is so much higher than the regular season. For the development of Franz and Paulo, we really need to do whatever it takes to make the playoffs next year. This might be the best first round slugfests I can remember in history. 

Yeah, we need to address spacing this off-season. Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but we need to grab some consistent shooters in the off-season. If not they’re just gonna collapse the paint on Paolo, Markelle, Franz drives and we won’t be able to score consistently, especially with how differently they call fouls in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hootie249 said:

I think this is a little reductive. I'd understand if in place of Fournier the Knicks were starting some 6'2, unathletic guy who just happens to be incredible at basketball. But that's not really the case. Every single wing who played for New York in their first game has comparable or better measurable and athleticism to Fournier.

The take away for me really is that you can't be a one way player in the playoffs. Ross and Fournier are both solid offensive players but, specifically for the role they're playing, offense only isn't really going to cut it.

7 hours ago, Luke_FfS said:

Another point is: everyone fell in love and mention the last guy that has a great playoff game and became a target for the future. Playoffs doesn't totally tell the truth either, and you often risk of overpaying for a good run of games. We've a clear recent example in our history with Byiombo, unfortunately.

This is a great point. Someone can get hot for 12 games but that doesn't mean they're conducive to winning basketball in another environment. Biyombo is a great example because he was awesome in those playoffs before we signed him but on a poorly constructed roster with no spacing and no consistent guard play he was basically worthless. 

Which is something to consider. Some times role and fit play a real factor for role players. Jeff Green has 84 career playoff games. He  has been basically consistently a playoff contributor his entire career. He was the drizzling ****s the one season he spent with us (some of that was his lack of care). He's a big wing who plays competent defense, can shoot a bit and can find ways to score if he gets a mismatch or gets chased off the line. He's not actually great at any of those things but his size, athleticism and solid skill set make him valuable to teams with stars who will garner a lot of defensive attention. But on a team with no stars and no space he sucked.

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

2 hours ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Yeah, we need to address spacing this off-season. Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but we need to grab some consistent shooters in the off-season. If not they’re just gonna collapse the paint on Paolo, Markelle, Franz drives and we won’t be able to score consistently, especially with how differently they call fouls in the playoffs.

I have conflicting opinions on this. Yes of course I can see we're desperate for some real floor spacing but spending big in free agency or using lottery picks on that is kind of unsettling. Don't get me wrong if you can get a true 2 way player who's a real shooter but has ancillary offensive skills and who plays defense that's one thing but I'd prefer we didn't go chasing shooting at the expense of our long term potential and flexibility. 

For example, imagine we had been in Sacramento's position last draft, Keegan Murray had a good rookie year, he's a great shooter and he probably helped Sacramento this season. But that was the last top 5 pick the Kings will likely have for the next half decade at least, and (to be clear I have no idea what will happen this is just a hypothetical) they might very well regret that pick if 3 years from now theyve topped out at a 4th seed and Murray is basically the same player (a solid wing who shoots the 3 and plays defense) but Shaedon Sharpe, Jaden Ivey or Ben Maturhin have become stars. 

• Upvote 1