Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

Eventually we have to take a guard that is known for scoring and hitting ridiculous 3s, right?

Cole Anthony is the only player that comes close to that that we have drafted in a long time.

Teams get guys like Maxey, Nembhard, Hyland etc. would be nice to have one of those

• Like 1

I was high on all of Maxey, Nembhard and Bones and I'm pretty high on Terq Smith too but I wouldn't be pigeonholing the type of player we should pick. Just pick the player you think will be the best player for this team.

10 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Eventually we have to take a guard that is known for scoring and hitting ridiculous 3s, right?

Cole Anthony is the only player that comes close to that that we have drafted in a long time.

Teams get guys like Maxey, Nembhard, Hyland etc. would be nice to have one of those

If you are watching the game tonight. You might want to rethink that about Cole. Lol

On 1/5/2023 at 11:55 AM, CTMagicUK said:

I was high on all of Maxey, Nembhard and Bones and I'm pretty high on Terq Smith too but I wouldn't be pigeonholing the type of player we should pick. Just pick the player you think will be the best player for this team.

Agree...we need to get another 1st RP this year to keep you busy CT "picking" our goodies on this board !!!!    You do a great job analyzing the players in the draft !!!!

Brandon Miller looks like a cross between Franz and Siakim. He’s certainly is on WeltHam’s radar given his length, versatility and skill set.

22 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Brandon Miller looks like a cross between Franz and Siakim. He’s certainly is on WeltHam’s radar given his length, versatility and skill set.

Magic had scouts at the Kentucky/Alabama game today. That certainly doesn't bode well for Cason Wallace shooting 1-13. 

I'm a bit concerned by Miller's rim finishing. He's 6'9 and shoots 48% at the rim. His jumper looks great though. 

26 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Magic had scouts at the Kentucky/Alabama game today. That certainly doesn't bode well for Cason Wallace shooting 1-13. 

I'm a bit concerned by Miller's rim finishing. He's 6'9 and shoots 48% at the rim. His jumper looks great though. 

That’s interesting about the scouts. I like it. Now I’m watching Jett. I like him but don’t love him. Similar to Miller… both fit our prototype but aren’t perfect prospects.

On 1/5/2023 at 11:55 AM, CTMagicUK said:

From what you have seen so far, do you think there are guards with the potential to be better than Cole and Suggs if our picks are between 5 -7 and 12 -14?

19 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

From what you have seen so far, do you think there are guards with the potential to be better than Cole and Suggs if we our picks are between 5 -7 and 12 -14?

Maybe? Depends who's available I suppose. 

Are there guards better than how Suggs looked as a prospect? No. 

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Maybe? Depends who's available I suppose. 

Are there guards better than how Suggs looked as a prospect? No. 

Agree with your assessment of Suggs....your take on what's happening with him?

6 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

Agree with your assessment of Suggs....your take on what's happening with him?

Posted about him in a recent game thread, I still think he's going to be good probably. It's just whether he can stay healthy, and whether we have the patience to ride out some of the rough stuff to get to the smooth. 

He's comfortably the best guard defender on the team and he's already more efficient this year than last whilst creating more of his own offense this year than last, showing real offensive improvement.

He obviously needs to shoot better that's the swing skill (and his health to be fair) and he's going to need to adjust to playing off ball more but that shouldn't be a major problem he wasn't the #1 option in college. He's only a second year guy. I'd be much more worried if he was in year 4. 

Trayce Jackson-Davis my favourite guy in the 2nd round to undrafted range. 18 points, 23 rebounds (7 offensive), 8 assist and 4 blocks is a wild statline. 

He feels like the kind of guy who gets picked up by Miami or Toronto, puts up 15 and 10 when they're short-handed, and then everyone will say "how do they keep finding/developing guys?!" (When really it's just because he's good at basketball but not "high potential" etc).

I'm not under any illusions why he's not highly talked about as a prospect since he's a 6'9 non shooter who will be 23 before he plays an NBA game. But he's so good at so many things that I think he's got a chance to make it work as a small ball bench 5. Good passer and ball handler, smooth post game, sets good screens, blocks a lot of shots especially for his size (2.7 a game), rebounds.

In the range he'll get drafted (or not I suppose) it's not exactly likely you'll find an NBA player anyway but I'd rather bet on someone who's legitimately good at basketball than someone with "potential" who's not good.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1