Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

19 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

Gradey may not have the lateral speed, and the chase guys around screens ability to classify him as a SG, so we look at him as more of a SF. 

The defense part is not of a SG....I agree.

Nevertheless, I had to goggle is he a shooting guard and......check out what popped-up:

March 07, 2023

Gradey Dick Named a Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Finalist

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Kansas freshman Gradey Dick has been named one of five finalists for the 2022 Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced Tuesday.

Joining Dick as finalists are Adam Flagler (Baylor), Marcus Sasser (Houston), Isaiah Wong (Miami, Fla.) and Jordan Hawkins (UConn). This is the ninth year of the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award.

What’s fun about this year’s draft is Smith and George are very different than Dick and Howard. The first two can really create, while the latter two are more pure shooters.

14 hours ago, Albert Lergier said:

So he is a wing player, a forward.....ok.

What is he lacking of to be considered a SG in the NBA?

Is he a top 7 in your rankings?

The ability to create off the dribble. 

The ability to guard NBA shooting guards. 

I've got him top 10 which is higher than most but not top 7 I don't think. 

30 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

Hi CT,

If you may, let's move to PG's in the draft that are good shooters......can you give us a rundown of your best 3 and their draft ranking? THANKS !!!!

Good shooters? 

Scoot Henderson will probably be a good shooter. 

Cason Wallace I think will be fine as a shooter. 

Then I guess Jalen Hood-Schifino would be third?

Scoot will be picked at 2.

Wallace Im not sure I'm not super high on him I've got him outside the lottery but he seems to be ranked in the lottery by most. 

Hood-Schifino I've got no idea where he'll end up he could rise into the lottery he's shown a lot of midrange scoring and pick and roll craft for a 6'4+ freshman but he doesn't pop to me personally when I watch him so I'm struggling to know what to think about him. 

They're probably 3 of the top 4 PGs (Amen Thompson is the 4th and he's the 2nd best prospect just not a shooter). It's really not a deep PG class. 

22 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Good shooters? 

Scoot Henderson will probably be a good shooter. 

Cason Wallace I think will be fine as a shooter. 

Then I guess Jalen Hood-Schifino would be third?

Scoot will be picked at 2.

Wallace Im not sure I'm not super high on him I've got him outside the lottery but he seems to be ranked in the lottery by most. 

Hood-Schifino I've got no idea where he'll end up he could rise into the lottery he's shown a lot of midrange scoring and pick and roll craft for a 6'4+ freshman but he doesn't pop to me personally when I watch him so I'm struggling to know what to think about him. 

They're probably 3 of the top 4 PGs (Amen Thompson is the 4th and he's the 2nd best prospect just not a shooter). It's really not a deep PG class. 

Hey CT,

So besides Scoot.....which 2 other have the most upside potential in your rankings?

18 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.61190956.1276646557.1678380317-2104665024.1678380316

New Ringer mock/big board just dropped. It's madness. The "shades of" stuff is ridiculous. (As is Miller over Scoot if you ask me)

Nonetheless, regarding Miller....if the Pistons land # 2, is Miller a better choice considering they have Ivey and Cade?

Just now, Albert Lergier said:

Nonetheless, regarding Miller....if the Pistons land # 2, is Miller a better choice considering they have Ivey and Cade?

That doesn't matter to me Scoot is the better prospect and if you're bad enough to be picking 2nd you need all the help you can get.

4 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

That doesn't matter to me Scoot is the better prospect and if you're bad enough to be picking 2nd you need all the help you can get.

Agree, the Blazers should have picked Michael even if they had Clyde.....but we know that many teams operate in a vaccum.

Every year, in every draft the guys who are mocked at the top are not necessarily the actual top NBA players. Luckily we have great posters who watch these guys play!

So my only hope is we take the correct guy. I don't care where we draft. I'm am tired of the concept that if we draft 1st we have to take Victor or second Scoot, although yes right now i'm leaning towards those picks. 

But that is only an example. What if we draft 5th,6th or 7th? Do we have to take a guy that's top 8 in some meaningless mock?

What if we miss out on a Donavan MItchell,Booker,Haliburton type player because some Mock draft had them later?

You want to get even more perplexed, what if we miss out on a Giannis or Jokic?

My point is don't let the media control the narrative. We have only to look at last year as an example. The Magic took Paolo! Before the college season started he was probably maybe the consensus number 1 along with a few others, after the season, hype took over with Chet and Smith jr. The media also wanted the Magic to Draft Smith because of "shooting". It was like a rock rolling downhill until everyone thought we were taking Smith including our forum. Guess what, we didn't, and i'd bet all my money he will never approach best player in this draft. 

So don't let what they tell you be the end all of everything. I am constantly surprised how good the posters on this forum are at seeing talent. So if you guys love Dick or Wallace or Jett Howard i have no problem with the Magic taking them, even if they are mocked late lotto.

19 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.61190956.1276646557.1678380317-2104665024.1678380316

New Ringer mock/big board just dropped. It's madness. The "shades of" stuff is ridiculous. (As is Miller over Scoot if you ask me)

Well, they had Paolo number one forever last year and never wavered. Miller being mocked number 2 is not a big deal at all. 6 foot 8 wings who can score and take over games is the proto type player these days. Also with how our defense is looking we might have to take a guy like Walker, even though that seems redundant. 

Guys that scare me are the Twins for obvious reasons but more like the Keyonte George types. 

KG seems like exactly what we need but also seems like the guy who gets to the NBA and might do nothing against NBA level players and is a bad shooter.He would be the opposite of Gradey Dick, who shoots great right now but might get to the NBA and be Duncan Robinson at best.

It's hard to evaluate these guys. I'm ready for the tournament.

Edit. Part of my analysis is just expectation. I am leaning towards Wallace with one of our picks simply because the Kentucky guards always seem to be pretty good. Less bust potential. I have no other facts, just a feeling. LOL, good thing i'm not a scout.