• Jordan Walsh, Arkansas+

+Scheduled

Orlando Magic

The known list of players to have worked out with the Magic:

• Dexter Dennis, Texas A&M
  • Armaan Franklin, Virginia
  • Enrique Freeman, Akron
  • Patrick Gardner, Marist
  • Taylor Hendricks, UCF !!!!   SURPRISE?
  • Jett Howard, Michigan
  • Gregory “GG” Jackson II, South Carolina
  • Trey Jemison, UAB
  • Djordjije Jovanovic, Ontario Clippers (G League)
  • Craig Porter Jr., Wichita State
  • Jordan Walsh, Arkansas+

+Scheduled

If we stay at 6, Hendricks fits our roster like a glove:

• Super long forward
  • Strong, switchable, rim protecting, defender
  • Great shooter
  • Humble, team player

If we don't move up, I think he's the guy I like most at 6.

At 11, I still like Wallace, Coulibaly, Dick or Bufkin.

My DREAM SCENARIO is to somehow trade up to 3 and get Scott without giving up both of our picks. Yes, it'd cost some players, but if we hypothetically keep Franz, Paulo and WCJ and 11, for instance, while getting Scoot, I'll be going crazy. (Yes, I recognize this a dream scenario ❤️).

41 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

If we stay at 6, Hendricks fits our roster like a glove:

• Super long forward
  • Strong, switchable, rim protecting, defender
  • Great shooter
  • Humble, team player

If we don't move up, I think he's the guy I like most at 6.

Are you worried about his upside at all? Because lately I've been thinking he might be Robert Covington (but slightly bigger). A fine player. But not a guy you'd be super excited about picking top 10. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

Are you worried about his upside at all? Because lately I've been thinking he might be Robert Covington (but slightly bigger). A fine player. But not a guy you'd be super excited about picking top 10. 

Not really. I think his upside is a more defensive Cam Johnson. That's a rock solid player.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Not really. I think his upside is a more defensive Cam Johnson. That's a rock solid player.

Fair enough. 

I agree that a better defensive Cam Johnson is a very valuable player. Probably a 20+ million a season player. I've also seen Jerami Grant as a comp which is pretty similar calibre of player probably. And if you look at a lot of drafts someone like Johnson or Grant could probably be about the 6th best player in the draft. It just feels like a pretty middling outcome for the 6th pick because you'd be hoping for an all star.

3 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

My DREAM SCENARIO is to somehow trade up to 3 and get Scott without giving up both of our picks. Yes, it'd cost some players, but if we hypothetically keep Franz, Paulo and WCJ and 11, for instance, while getting Scoot, I'll be going crazy. (Yes, I recognize this a dream scenario ❤️).

We share the same fantasy on Scoot!  I do like Hendricks also. Being from my alma matar might cloud my judgment admittedly though. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Fair enough. 

I agree that a better defensive Cam Johnson is a very valuable player. Probably a 20+ million a season player. I've also seen Jerami Grant as a comp which is pretty similar calibre of player probably. And if you look at a lot of drafts someone like Johnson or Grant could probably be about the 6th best player in the draft. It just feels like a pretty middling outcome for the 6th pick because you'd be hoping for an all star.

This is a fair assessment as in most drafts a player does slip that ends up being a star. Much like Franz is compared to Suggs. Hendricks does check a lot of boxes skill wise for our team. He isn’t a sexy pick but should be a contributor. 

12 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Shooting is one of the more teachable skills in the league. I'm not saying you can teach a Thompson twin to be Steph Curry or anything approaching that but countless players have come into the league as non shooters and become reasonable shooters. 

Size, length, athleticism, explosivity are not. Also vision, playmaking IQ, defensive instincts tend not to be the easiest to teach either and both Thompsons have all that as well. 

How has that worked out for the Magic? Name one player who came to us as a poor shooter and became above average. I can teach a poor golfer to be a good one, but if he doesn’t have the natural feel for the game, than good is all he will ever be. Seen it too many times. Repetitive moves are not feel. 

Hendricks is a sexy player though.  Not many people play his kind of defense and shoot 3’s like he can at his size.  

2 hours ago, fan for too long 2 said:

How has that worked out for the Magic? Name one player who came to us as a poor shooter and became above average. I can teach a poor golfer to be a good one, but if he doesn’t have the natural feel for the game, than good is all he will ever be. Seen it too many times. Repetitive moves are not feel. 

Nikola Vucevic was one to be fair. He didn't even take 3s when he got here and was one of the best 3 point shooting bigs in the league when he left. 

Also prior history doesn't necessarily dictate future results since we have an entirely new coaching staff now from the Hennigan years.  

4 hours ago, Murphy13 said:

Hendricks is a sexy player though.  Not many people play his kind of defense and shoot 3’s like he can at his size.  

Shooting 3s, especially mostly stationary catch and shoot 3s, really isn't that valuable though. Gary Harris was one of the best at that in the entire league last season and half of the fan base is talking about getting an upgrade at SG as a priority. You need multiple offensive skills to be successful at the highest levels of basketball. Hendricks doesn't really create any offense for himself or others. He's a play finisher. And his finishing around the rim might not be as good as we'd hope either. He shot something like 45% on half court non dunks (layups essentially) if I remember correctly.

I get why he's an enticing package though. I'm not super low on him, I have him at 8 on my board (well it's tied at 8 with Walker I couldn't be bothered to decide who out of the two I liked the most) mostly because of his super high floor, but I do think it's worthwhile to point out that he probably has a lower ceiling than some other guys in this draft, even guys who'll get picked after him.