Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

Just now, TreyMachine said:

We have so many  young players that need time and minutes. I could totally see us trading out of the first round or trading one of our picks for a pick another year to a team we assume won't be great in 2-3 years. Too many mouths to feed right now. With that being said, the way to work around that is to just trade away some of that young talent, along with the picks, to move up for an elite talent. 

Yea it really just depends what opportunities are actually possible to be honest. Maybe it ends up that there's no trade up for the prospect we want for example. Or maybe we don't get any offers we think are worthwhile for our picks. 

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Yea it really just depends what opportunities are actually possible to be honest. Maybe it ends up that there's no trade up for the prospect we want for example. Or maybe we don't get any offers we think are worthwhile for our picks. 

Obviously but sometimes you have to give up a valuable player to balance your roster. To get a player you really need to make your team better, sacrifice is inevitable and justifiable. We haven’t seen that from this management. They rode the coattails of Vooch et al. for far too long then dismantled it in a positive way. Now as this team is emerging with young potential all stars. That sacrifice is waiting to be made. 

The question is, will they wait too late or too early to do it. 

eating popcorn. Waiting 

• Upvote 1

Who the hell is promising Chris Livingston? Must have had the best workouts of his life. Either that or this is a "when you go undrafted we've got a contract for you" type promise. 

16 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

What is likelihood we stand pat? I'm giving it an 85% chance we just stay at 6 and 11 and get great role-players to grow with the team that compliment Fultz, Paolo, and Franz. Unless we think Scott / Miller is a can't-miss prospect, I don't see us trading one or two of our core assets, along with our picks, for them. 

I want to trade up, but I think we stay put and take two swings at it. At 6 and 11, we could get role players or we could somehow draft a potential star (e.g. Franz).

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10078273-5-hyped-2023-nba-draft-prospects-with-serious-red-flags
Wasserman saying both those twins have major red flags Re shooting …if we draft them can’t wait for the meltdown here 

[Raises hand]... Soul will melt down. Lol. Not saying they won't learn to shoot, but it'll take some patience.

Edit: I actually posted that same article on page 85 yesterday. Too funny.

7 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

I think this is significant. The Ringer now has Ausar at 4 and Amen at 5 on their rankings. Could Amen drop to or past Orlando???

https://nbadraft.theringer.com

Wtf is wrong with scouting staffs?  

“Athleticism Above All”. This must be their mantra. Or “shooting means nothing”. SMDH 

42 minutes ago, fan for too long 2 said:

Wtf is wrong with scouting staffs?  

“Athleticism Above All”. This must be their mantra. Or “shooting means nothing”. SMDH 

Shooting is one of the more teachable skills in the league. I'm not saying you can teach a Thompson twin to be Steph Curry or anything approaching that but countless players have come into the league as non shooters and become reasonable shooters. 

Size, length, athleticism, explosivity are not. Also vision, playmaking IQ, defensive instincts tend not to be the easiest to teach either and both Thompsons have all that as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

I think this is significant. The Ringer now has Ausar at 4 and Amen at 5 on their rankings. Could Amen drop to or past Orlando???

https://nbadraft.theringer.com

That's his big board not his mock though. 

And honestly, it has nothing to do with this update just an observation, more and more I'm pretty convinced KOC knows absolutely nothing. 

EDIT: though I admit saying "KOC knows nothing" isn't adding to the conversation at all and any discussion is better than none. So I will say I just don't see Ausar over Amen at all. 

EDIT2: Actually if I'm wrong and KOC does know stuff, some of his non lotto first guys on the updated mock are crazy interesting. Ben Sheppard at 22? Colby Jones at 19? These guys were second round picks like a month ago. He must have some Intel on those? (Whether that Intel is legitimate will I suppose prove whether KOC is worth taking notice of)

• Upvote 1

A wild trade appears. 

Think trades like this will be more common for contenders under the new CBA. Essentially an asset rich team kicks those assets down the road for a contender to get cheap, salary controlled players on rookie deals in the next couple of years to try and stay under the second tax apron. 

Also I think OKC got kind of hampered by having too many draft picks here. This isn't really a good deal for them but they needed to move off some of the 2023 and 2024 picks pretty quickly.