Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

40 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

There's a rumour circulating that GG Jackson has had horrible workouts. 

I wouldn’t argue that.. He looks like a very confident Thomas Bryant, chucking up every shot he can get.. 

7 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

One of the reasons Gradey is a much better prospect than Houstan is he gets himself open with his movement off ball. He's always moving into space, relocating around pick and roll, cutting from the corner when his defender's head is turned. He can shoot off of screens on designed plays to get himself open. He can even catch the ball, take a couple of dribbles and hit a shot either in the midrange or sidestepping to avoid a close out.

Caleb Houstan is a shooter but he's a shooter that realistically most NBA teams will double off of at least at the moment which means he's not actually spacing the floor for Franz/Fultz/Paolo. Gradey Dick has proven in college that if you leave him open he will punish you. And his reputation will probably allow that to translate pretty quickly in the NBA provided he continues to shoot as well as he has been.

I don't necessarily believe we're desperate for more playmaking (though I'd absolutely say you can never have too many guys who can create a shot)

Fultz/Franz/Paolo can all create for themselves and others. The idea that the bench unit needs someone else to do that isn't necessarily valid to me because we don't need to run a full line shift, we can stagger the minutes of those 3 guys to handle the playmaking through the full 48 (with Cole and Suggs chipping in). 

i agree with you.. I’m not saying anything else.. 
I just think that the way this team runs plays, there is no sense for Dick in those lineups we run.. We are not running plays for him. Our system is based on individual talent and individuals breaking down defenses. 

I see no sense to insert Dick in there and he’d run around like a rabbit and would t be featured/utilized properly.. 

Dick is a great prospect for most teams.. Just not for us imo

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

i agree with you.. I’m not saying anything else.. 
I just think that the way this team runs plays, there is no sense for Dick in those lineups we run.. We are not running plays for him. Our system is based on individual talent and individuals breaking down defenses. 

I see no sense to insert Dick in there and he’d run around like a rabbit and would t be featured/utilized properly.. 

Dick is a great prospect for most teams.. Just not for us imo

We don't run plays for a movement shooter because we don't have a movement shooter on the roster. 

It's impossible to not utilize Gradey Dick properly. Run a pick and roll and have him fill the wing (an action literally every single NBA team runs) boom you've used him correctly. We run a lot of DHOs, have him be the ball handler in a DHO and literally just pull up if the defender is behind the play or goes under, boom you've used him correctly. Pass the ball to him in transition for him to shoot the 3. Boom you've used him correctly. Pass to him when he's cutting off a post up (something we probably will be running for Paolo) boom you've used him correctly.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman said:

Trade back for assets and this is a real value pick in the late teens.

he didn’t have a good season.. He might even go in the second round! Talented draft! Some real gems in the 20s available 

Bilal Coulibaly, a 6-7 wing who turns 19 next month, has been flying up boards in recent weeks and could even be a lottery pick in this year's draft. Given the chemistry Wembanyama and Coulibaly already have, could the Spurs trade up into the draft and take him?

… Several teams could look to make a trade out of the lottery, including the Dallas Mavericks at No. 10 and Orlando Magic at No. 11. If the Spursoffered a veteran like Doug McDermott or Zach Collins, along with No. 33 or a future draft pick, perhaps that would entice a team to make the deal.“

https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/.amp/news/nba-draft-san-antonio-spurs-trade-bilal-coulibaly-victor-wembanyama-metropolitans-92-france

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

We don't run plays for a movement shooter because we don't have a movement shooter on the roster. 

It's impossible to not utilize Gradey Dick properly. Run a pick and roll and have him fill the wing (an action literally every single NBA team runs) boom you've used him correctly. We run a lot of DHOs, have him be the ball handler in a DHO and literally just pull up if the defender is behind the play or goes under, boom you've used him correctly. Pass the ball to him in transition for him to shoot the 3. Boom you've used him correctly. Pass to him when he's cutting off a post up (something we probably will be running for Paolo) boom you've used him correctly.

i dunno man.. Moseley didn’t know how to utilize Ross.. Clifford knew how to get the best out of Ross.. Ross looked bad in our current system.. 

i get what you are saying. But unless Moseley improves, the guy is just not suited for us imo.. 

And if we want that type of player i’d rather avails drafting that skill set.. It can be had in FA. Max Strus, McDermott or D.Robinson (salary dump trade), Watanabe low cost..

But i guess we just have two different opinions here

12 minutes ago, Soul Bro said:

Bilal Coulibaly, a 6-7 wing who turns 19 next month, has been flying up boards in recent weeks and could even be a lottery pick in this year's draft. Given the chemistry Wembanyama and Coulibaly already have, could the Spurs trade up into the draft and take him?

… Several teams could look to make a trade out of the lottery, including the Dallas Mavericks at No. 10 and Orlando Magic at No. 11. If the Spursoffered a veteran like Doug McDermott or Zach Collins, along with No. 33 or a future draft pick, perhaps that would entice a team to make the deal.“

https://www.si.com/nba/spurs/.amp/news/nba-draft-san-antonio-spurs-trade-bilal-coulibaly-victor-wembanyama-metropolitans-92-france

lol this is just a story.. Makes no sense to get another 2nd round pick. We won’t even use our 36 pick (it would surprise me). We ain’t drafting for rookies just to get a minor piece back.. 

If we trade out with the Spurs, we need a bigger trade that gives us Vassell, a missing piece

Yes, as we discussed a day or two ago, I'd do 11, or maybe I'd consider 6. (I wouldn't do both together for Vassell).