Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

3 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/nba-mock-draft-amen-thompson-scoot-bilal-coulibaly

Lots of interesting tidbits. Chief to us are that it's believed the Thunder at 12 targeting Coulibaly and that Klintman is promised by Indiana in the 20s but some fun stats and stuff on other guys.

Good mock. I still struggle with the Ausar pick but understand the upside. Watching these playoffs, it’s vital to have two-way studs. 

SOME NOTABLES: 

1) Jarace at 5 to Pistons, had him at 10

2) Ausar is not top 6

3) Jordan Hawkins is now at 13....had him at 17

4) Lively at 10 from 20

5) Coulibaly at 13 from 19

6) Keyonte down to 23 from 14

THINGS ARE BEGINNING TO BOIL !!!!!

16 minutes ago, Albert Lergier said:

SOME NOTABLES: 

1) Jarace at 5 to Pistons, had him at 10

2) Ausar is not top 6

3) Jordan Hawkins is now at 13....had him at 17

4) Lively at 10 from 20

5) Coulibaly at 13 from 19

6) Keyonte down to 23 from 14

THINGS ARE BEGINNING TO BOIL !!!!!

Worth noting that while I appreciate Spins' general scouting opinion he's much less likely to have insider information of any kind. 

And on a more general level, it's amazing how EVERYONE in the draft space is super reactionary to what teams are rumoured to be doing. Like Bobi Klintman was in basically nobody's top 60 until it was rumoured he'd got a promise and suddenly shows up in everyone's big boards (and just so we're clear, a big board, unlike a mock draft, should be how the individual person ranks the prospects and a mock draft in contrast should be what they think the teams will do). So what I'm supposed to believe all these draft "experts" changed their mind on a prospect coincidentally just as the rumour hit that his stock was higher? 

I respect a lot of the people working hard to watch and evaluate prospects etc but I wish some of them would worry less about appearing right all the time.

21 minutes ago, MagicMan1979 said:

Jeremy Woo from ESPN just posted this if your an Insider. This scenario is if we keep all the picks. 

6. Ausar Thompson 

11. Gradey Dick

36. Ben Shepard

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/37782662/selecting-all-three-orlando-magic-2023-draft-picks

Same picks from the last Givony/Woo mock draft a couple days ago just with more explanation.

16 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Same picks from the last Givony/Woo mock draft a couple days ago just with more explanation.

Yeah pretty generic stuff. I got excited from the title. “Building the Orlando Magic's perfect 2023 NBA draft: Selecting all three picks“

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Worth noting that while I appreciate Spins' general scouting opinion he's much less likely to have insider information of any kind. 

And on a more general level, it's amazing how EVERYONE in the draft space is super reactionary to what teams are rumoured to be doing. Like Bobi Klintman was in basically nobody's top 60 until it was rumoured he'd got a promise and suddenly shows up in everyone's big boards (and just so we're clear, a big board, unlike a mock draft, should be how the individual person ranks the prospects and a mock draft in contrast should be what they think the teams will do). So what I'm supposed to believe all these draft "experts" changed their mind on a prospect coincidentally just as the rumour hit that his stock was higher? 

I respect a lot of the people working hard to watch and evaluate prospects etc but I wish some of them would worry less about appearing right all the time.

In fairness to Coulibaly, here's what Givony said about him on April 20 (prior to any promise news):

Coulibaly, the No. 26 prospect in ESPN's draft projections, has broken out in the French first division over the past several months, emerging as an important rotation player for Metropolitans 92 in Paris alongside projected No. 1 pick Victor Wembanyama. Coulibaly has scored in double figures in four of the past 10 games while delivering a slew of impressive highlights on both ends of the floor...

Coulibaly, whose parents are from Mali, stands 6-foot-8, 194 pounds with a 7-foot-2 wingspan. He is the third youngest player in the ESPN 100 at age 18 but is on a different trajectory from most prospects in this draft, being an almost complete unknown even in France a year ago after a late growth spurt that took him from 5-11 as a 16-year-old...

With his elite dimensions, Coulibaly's defensive potential is considerable, as he is regularly tasked with slowing down point guards and shows impressive quickness covering ground and contesting shots on the perimeter. Although not a consistent shooter, Coulibaly grew up a guard and retains many of those perimeter skills. Younger than several high school seniors projected as one-and-done prospects next year, Coulibaly was deemed more of a 2024 draft prospect for much of the season but has given himself an opportunity to be a first-round pick with his recent play and long-term upside.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36244098/bilal-coulibaly-joins-teammate-victor-wembanyama-nba-draft

• Upvote 1

Probably not anything but Nets just hired Kevin Ollie as an assistant coach. Ollie was previously the head coach of OTE. 

Wonder if there might be a deal like: Mikal Bridges for #3, Simons and stuff or something like that. Nets would then pick Amen in this hypothetical. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Probably not anything but Nets just hired Kevin Ollie as an assistant coach. Ollie was previously the head coach of OTE. 

Wonder if there might be a deal like: Mikal Bridges for #3, Simons and stuff or something like that. Nets would then pick Amen in this hypothetical. 

I personally think Bridges is too good to trade in that scenario. However, you might be right.

• Upvote 1