Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

The impression I get is that there are the three top guys who'd go pretty early in any draft, then there are three more players who have star potential but are seen as less likely to reach that potential, then there are like five guys who are considered pretty high-end role players, pretty safe picks but not viewed as ever likely to reach that status of being a team's first option. So, we should be able to get one guy from the star potential group and one guy from the high-end role player group where we sit at 6 and 11. It's definitely not the deepest draft class. 

On 5/30/2023 at 12:51 AM, Jon said:

Wait. Are you talking about Jabari Smith Jr?! As a two guard?!

That idea was thrown around a year ago when they were about to be drafted. I'd love to see some team with enough balls to try it

9 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

I think you look at JSJ as a SF on offense and a SG on defense, it works. I'm of course not married to Jabari - I'm just saying he's in a bad culture fit and he compliments our main guys well while creating matchup issues. It's the same thing we had with Dwight, Lewis, and Hedo - big matchups that gave guys matchup issues on offense while having defensive power with great team defense schemes and long length. 

Just find me an athletic, long, 3&D player to partner with Paolo and Wagner and I'm a happy camper. That's it. 

I'm with you 100%

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ball junkie said:

TRADE at 6. Trail Blazers (via Magic): Jarace Walker, PF, Houston

Portland Trail Blazers receive: Markelle Fultz, Jalen Suggs, Jonathan Isaac, No. 6 pick, No. 11 pick and 2025 first-round pick (top-three protected)

Orlando Magic receive: Damian Lillard

If the Blazers keep the No. 3 pick, then Lillard can probably start packing his bags. He doesn't want to wait for prospects to develop, and Portland's incoming youth might appreciate not having the pressure of his ticking clock hanging above their heads.

So, if that pick doesn't go, Lillard likely does, in this case serving as the fast-forward button for an ascending Magic team that played winning basketball for the campaign's final four months-plus.

If Portland leans into a rebuild, it could view Jarace Walker as a tone-setting defender with significant offensive upside. His ceiling is tough to set without knowing how his shooting and handle will develop, but his floor is elevated thanks to his playmaking, finishing and defensive versatility. He does a lot of things that helps teams win, even if he's not always the primary reason for that success.

This trade would also get the Blazers their third pick in this lottery, plus a future first with light protection. Markelle Fultz and Jalen Suggs would have ample opportunities to lock down a long-term role on a backcourt with Amen Thompson and Anfernee Simons. Jonathan Isaac would mostly make the money work, but he's theoretically still interesting if he could ever shake his injury issues for good.

Zach Buckley of Bleacher Report …would you ?

I'd take that deal. It's not a massive overpay. I understand the risks with Lillard's contract and age, but we'd be able to compete with him, Paolo, Franz, Wendell for a few years

11. Orlando Magic (via Chicago)

Gradey Dick
Kansas
SG/SF

There's been some chatter that the Magic might not keep both of their lottery picks -- they should certainly have options if they choose to try to move around -- but a scenario like this where Dick is available to them at No. 11 could lead them to stay put. Orlando needs to surround Banchero and Wagner with shooting, and would achieve that here by adding one of the top shooters in the draft. Teams view Dick as a lock to come off the board in the lottery, and the Magic look like a nice landing spot. 
From Givony new mock today …Come on Weltham trade up …Got us taking Ausar Thompson at 6 …

4 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

11. Orlando Magic (via Chicago)

Gradey Dick
Kansas
SG/SF

There's been some chatter that the Magic might not keep both of their lottery picks -- they should certainly have options if they choose to try to move around -- but a scenario like this where Dick is available to them at No. 11 could lead them to stay put. Orlando needs to surround Banchero and Wagner with shooting, and would achieve that here by adding one of the top shooters in the draft. Teams view Dick as a lock to come off the board in the lottery, and the Magic look like a nice landing spot. 
From Givony new mock today …Come on Weltham trade up …Got us taking Ausar Thompson at 6 …

Move up to get Scoot or Miller or trade out of it for an established player.

26 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

I'm on the move-up train for Scoot (or Miller).

I'm a hard "no" on a Dame kind of trade.

If we trade one of our firsts for a future first, well, that won't bless me :).

Since it's most commonly mocked to us I'm finding it hard to believe it'll happen but I love Ausar at 6 and Gradey at 11. Honestly I prefer that to a trade up for anybody (anybody that could reasonably happen anyway).

Some interesting stuff from that new Givony mock:

Jalen Hood-Schifino at 9!? Wild move up. Must be intel related. 

Nick Smith Jr moved back into the lottery at 12. 

Cason Wallace falls to 17! 

James Nnaji at 23 to Portland. Feels like a new high for him on mocks, wondering if Givony has intel on that pick. Given the Schmitz connection.

GG Jackson falls to 33. 

Ben Sheppard is our pick at 36. He's cemented himself as a draftable guy it seems after proving he could do it against better competition in the combine scrimmages. He's a great shooter. 

Givony obviously hasn't heard or doesn't believe the Bobi Klintman promise intel, has him mid to late 2nd. 

I want GG Jackson i really do. I'd bet on him

Also CT Kobe Brown who u suggested is gonna be a very good player i feel.

If we was to do a crazy trade with Portland if it aint Dame give me Shaedon Sharpe please!!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jay Magic said:

I want GG Jackson i really do. I'd bet on him

Also CT Kobe Brown who u suggested is gonna be a very good player i feel.

If we was to do a crazy trade with Portland if it aint Dame give me Shaedon Sharpe please!!

Lol Jay you have no idea …if they could somehow get him I would run to the season ticket office and I’ve told them lol …talk about a perfect fit 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jon said:

Move up to get Scoot or Miller or trade out of it for an established player.

4 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

I'm on the move-up train for Scoot (or Miller).

I'm a hard "no" on a Dame kind of trade.

If we trade one of our firsts for a future first, well, that won't bless me :).

I’m with you both on this way of thinking.  Trade up for those two or package the picks for a good veteran in the 24-28 year old range. We have so many young players that need minutes to develop.  We don’t want to have the same issue in the last rebuild with Oladipo, Fournier, Gordon, Harris, and Vuch teams. 

4 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Lol Jay you have no idea …if they could somehow get him I would run to the season ticket office and I’ve told them lol …talk about a perfect fit 

yep exactly what we need to perfection!