Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

17 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Watched this brand new mock draft by coach Spins......

A few comments:

1)  Can't believe he has Jordan Hawkins at 23 when this assessment is out there:  Shooting 39 percent on 7.6 three-point attempts per game in his sophomore season, Hawkins was likely the best shooting talent in all of college basketball.

I thought that Jordan Hawkins along Gradey and Javonte, all three, would be in the conversation for picks 10 - 13

2)  Agree that Ausar could drop from # 6.....he has him at 10.

3)  Agree that Cason Wallace could be a top 10 pick. If this materializes, Jordan, Gradey and Javonte, all 3 shooters, should be available at 11.

4)  Agree that there is a good chance that Cam, Jarace and Taylor are going to be available at 6 and that one of them is who we're drafting......although I think the Pistons draft Jarace leaving us Cam or Taylor.

TRADE at 6. Trail Blazers (via Magic): Jarace Walker, PF, Houston

Portland Trail Blazers receive: Markelle Fultz, Jalen Suggs, Jonathan Isaac, No. 6 pick, No. 11 pick and 2025 first-round pick (top-three protected)

Orlando Magic receive: Damian Lillard

If the Blazers keep the No. 3 pick, then Lillard can probably start packing his bags. He doesn't want to wait for prospects to develop, and Portland's incoming youth might appreciate not having the pressure of his ticking clock hanging above their heads.

So, if that pick doesn't go, Lillard likely does, in this case serving as the fast-forward button for an ascending Magic team that played winning basketball for the campaign's final four months-plus.

If Portland leans into a rebuild, it could view Jarace Walker as a tone-setting defender with significant offensive upside. His ceiling is tough to set without knowing how his shooting and handle will develop, but his floor is elevated thanks to his playmaking, finishing and defensive versatility. He does a lot of things that helps teams win, even if he's not always the primary reason for that success.

This trade would also get the Blazers their third pick in this lottery, plus a future first with light protection. Markelle Fultz and Jalen Suggs would have ample opportunities to lock down a long-term role on a backcourt with Amen Thompson and Anfernee Simons. Jonathan Isaac would mostly make the money work, but he's theoretically still interesting if he could ever shake his injury issues for good.

Zach Buckley of Bleacher Report …would you ?

1 hour ago, ball junkie said:

Portland Trail Blazers receive: Markelle Fultz, Jalen Suggs, Jonathan Isaac, No. 6 pick, No. 11 pick and 2025 first-round pick (top-three protected)

If the Blazers keep the No. 3 pick, then Lillard can probably start packing his bags. He doesn't want to wait for prospects to develop, and Portland's incoming youth might appreciate not having the pressure of his ticking clock hanging above their heads.

So, if that pick doesn't go, Lillard likely does, in this case serving as the fast-forward button for an ascending Magic team that played winning basketball for the campaign's final four months-plus.

If Portland leans into a rebuild, it could view Jarace Walker as a tone-setting defender with significant offensive upside. His ceiling is tough to set without knowing how his shooting and handle will develop, but his floor is elevated thanks to his playmaking, finishing and defensive versatility. He does a lot of things that helps teams win, even if he's not always the primary reason for that success.

This trade would also get the Blazers their third pick in this lottery, plus a future first with light protection. Markelle Fultz and Jalen Suggs would have ample opportunities to lock down a long-term role on a backcourt with Amen Thompson and Anfernee Simons. Jonathan Isaac would mostly make the money work, but he's theoretically still interesting if he could ever shake his injury issues for good.

I love Dame a lot, but hell no on this trade, it is trading away too much long-term for a potentially very short short-term upgrade. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

I love Dame a lot, but hell no on this trade, it is trading away too much long-term for a potentially very short short-term upgrade. 

Yeah I mean if we could keep the 11th or Suggs ok...

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

Same for me the timeline doesn’t match at all. Plus Dame if he leaves will want a Contender. 

13 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

It's hard for me not to want Wallace or Hendricks, as I think both compliment Franz and Paulo so well. Interesting to consider both at 6. Cam's a home run swing, which would be exciting, too. Bufkin, Dick, or Lively look like they'd be solid picks at 11.

9 hours ago, MagicMan1979 said:

He’s much more of a Bosh/ Rashard Lewis player than a guard. He has almost no handle at all. 

I think you look at JSJ as a SF on offense and a SG on defense, it works. I'm of course not married to Jabari - I'm just saying he's in a bad culture fit and he compliments our main guys well while creating matchup issues. It's the same thing we had with Dwight, Lewis, and Hedo - big matchups that gave guys matchup issues on offense while having defensive power with great team defense schemes and long length. 

Just find me an athletic, long, 3&D player to partner with Paolo and Wagner and I'm a happy camper. That's it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soul Bro said:

It's hard for me not to want Wallace or Hendricks, as I think both compliment Franz and Paulo so well. Interesting to consider both at 6. Cam's a home run swing, which would be exciting, too. Bufkin, Dick, or Lively look like they'd be solid picks at 11.

How deep is this draft seen vs last draft generally? Like, for the sake of argument, what current NBA player would you trade #6 for and be satisfied? Is there anyone?

6 hours ago, ball junkie said:

Hard pass. Then in 2-3 yrs we have to find a good enough PG to compliment our guys. And with the new CBA, that could be harder. I'm good with growing up with Kelle & Jalen.  

That's a super rich offer that exellerates our timeline in a big way. I'd tweak it to get Scoot but I'm not thirsty for him. We have our 2 stars. 

I also still have hope for JI. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nyce_1 said:

Hard pass. Then in 2-3 yrs we have to find a good enough PG to compliment our guys. And with the new CBA, that could be harder. I'm good with growing up with Kelle & Jalen.  

That's a super rich offer that exellerates our timeline in a big way. I'd tweak it to get Scoot but I'm not thirsty for him. We have our 2 stars. 

I also still have hope for JI. 

Thanks for the take Nyce …was just a trade idea …plus one on JI …don’t be a stranger .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

How deep is this draft seen vs last draft generally? Like, for the sake of argument, what current NBA player would you trade #6 for and be satisfied? Is there anyone?

Hmmm... I'm probably not the guy to answer that question. I think the top 3 are possibly generational talented, and I think the top 12 offer real rotational-caliber players. I don't know what #6 could fetch us, but as I brought up a few pages back, if Houston is open for business, I'd be down with Smith Jr. At this point, my hope is we find a way to draft Scoot.

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Hmmm... I'm probably not the guy to answer that question. I think the top 3 are possibly generational talented, and I think the top 12 offer real rotational-caliber players. I don't know what #6 could fetch us, but as I brought up a few pages back, if Houston is open for business, I'd be down with Smith Jr. At this point, my hope is we find a way to draft Scoot.

I think Houston trades #6 for Jabari. That also tells you how potentially deep this draft is if so.