Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

On 5/28/2023 at 1:03 PM, ball junkie said:

The Magic look ready to roll in the frontcourt. Between Paolo Banchero, Franz Wagner and Wendell Carter Jr., Orlando has three above-average starters all under the age of 25.

The backcourt is a bit of a different story, though. The Magic have guards, but it's unclear if any are long-term keepers. Markelle Fultz can't score from range, Cole Anthony is a defensive liability and Jalen Suggs lacks obvious utility on offense.

Orlando has quantity in its guard group, but it needs more quality options. The Magic have two lottery picks (Nos. 6 and 11) to help fill that gap, and if they have a chance to consolidate the picks and move up for a top guard in this draft, they should.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077241-every-teams-biggest-need-in-the-2023-nba-draft

That's a nice article... however, it fails to mention who any of those guards would be...

In the top five I don't really see any of them with overwhelming potential to space a floor... Scoot doesn't have a 3 ball... and neither do either of the twins.... so why move up? We should already be able to get Asur at 6... who is likely to be solid on D... and has potential for the 3...

Who are they talking about the Magic moving up to draft... or do you think he is referring to a trade for a current NBA proven floor spacing guard ... who also plays defense... and who might that be?

Who would you like to see us draft?

10 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Wonder what the stock of Kobe Brown is like. 6'7 senior PF from Missouri who had an awesome senior season statistically. Shot 46% from 3 this year. Not great defensively but he's awesome on offense. See ESPN have him in the 40s but I've legitimately heard no buzz about him at all. 

Just seen Spins just put out a video on him yesterday. Maybe I was little harsh on his defense (admittedly my research wasn't very extensive). I like him at 36.

22 minutes ago, Oveido Voodoo said:

That's a nice article... however, it fails to mention who any of those guards would be...

In the top five I don't really see any of them with overwhelming potential to space a floor... Scoot doesn't have a 3 ball... and neither do either of the twins.... so why move up? We should already be able to get Asur at 6... who is likely to be solid on D... and has potential for the 3...

Who are they talking about the Magic moving up to draft... or do you think he is referring to a trade for a current NBA proven floor spacing guard ... who also plays defense... and who might that be?

Who would you like to see us draft?

OveidoRules …what’s up man …3 point shooter or not …and I’m a huge Fultz fan …Scoot has long been considered a generational PG …if the opportunity presents you can’t pass that up …and some pages back I posted a LockedOn video with the Portland and Magic guy …Portland guy wanted to trade back but the Magic guy declined .

My 2 Cents …

17 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I think he'll get there. 

Honestly I don't mind. I think wings are what I'd be targeting but I'm very much draft Best Player Available and figure everything else out later. I like all the guys you mentioned theoretically for us. 

I'd be good with it. I mentioned it myself a couple pages back. Rim protection is super important in the league and he offers it. If you go that route just play him at backup 5 for now and figure everything else out later.

No I don't think that'd work full time personally. Wendell is a 5. Paolo a 4. For a couple of minutes a game? Maybe against the right lineups. 

Aren't we all! I can't say I'm holding my breath but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Well... all of the teams that compete have a plethora of players in the 6'7" to 6'10" range that are versatile and can at least defend your super star players... or if nothing else throw fouls at them... so that is probably the smart thing to do... stack up on wing players...

I remember when Trevor Ariza came to the Magic back when D12 meant fear in opposing teams... everyone said he would never learn to shoot... and he shot close 40% the next season... although D12 had a knack for getting players wide... wide open looks... 

But you are right Suggs has plenty of time to get better... he is young...

I think for winning's sake who ever we draft has to at least not be a liability on D....

I see all of these highlight reels of Grady Dick getting back door cut... and it scares me a little... like his feet might not be fast enough to play wing defense against NBA talent...

Man he can shoot, though... 

I was in the Amway Center when Duke played against Tennessee... it was impressive how fast D. Lively was at > 7 foot... it was like watching the other players in slow motion... I haven't seen a 7 footer move like that... at least in person.

Tennessee didn't really come inside much... they did out coach Duke though... and I didn't see much offense from Lively... although Duke tried to force the ball to Filipowski most of the game... who got popped in the face with an elbow early on and folded up for the rest of the game...

Still Lively would be really interesting... and you are probably  right.... the Aaron Gordons of the league playing at 4 would make match up problems for Wendel away from the basket...but as much as I like Wendel Carter... the Anthony Davis' and Rudy Goberts and Grant William's and DeAndre Aytons Greek Freaks... and well, Denver has rim protecting from other areas than Joker... but Miami has Bam... all the playoff teams have a guy that makes you fear coming inside...

I wouldn't mind Lively, though... as much as I like Carter...

Most of the mock drafts have us taking the Thompson twin... but I tend to like that one a little better... he seems more dedicated to team and defense...like he will pan out as a really good 2nd option... since he has been doing that with his brother his whole life...you know 2nd option is an important role for every championship team...

I can see this team ... as it is now... likely at a minimum making the play in... which means this may be the last lottery picks for a while... so probably getting the best talent is the right move...

But... do you see anyone out there in the draft who is just..."The Perfect Fit" for the magic??? I mean regardless of talent or upside... just someone who can come in and have an effect right away?

27 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

OveidoRules …what’s up man …3 point shooter or not …and I’m a huge Fultz fan …Scoot has long been considered a generational PG …if the opportunity presents you can’t pass that up …and some pages back I posted a LockedOn video with the Portland and Magic guy …Portland guy wanted to trade back but the Magic guy declined .

My 2 Cents …

Hmmm... I don't see it with Scoot...he is only 6'"2 and no outside shot... 

Lol... go Magic Guy!

Scoot to me seems like a guy who will be fun to watch... but in the Stephon "Starbury" category... at least when it comes to winning... I hate being mean... but I just don't see winner winner chicken dinner written all over Scoot...

That said hope he proves me wrong!

1 hour ago, Jon said:

I really want to trade up. I don’t like anyone at 6 for us.

I think we will take one of the twins with the 6th pick and I would be ok with that. Some might call me crazy, but I think we are only another good rookie and veteran prescence away from competing for the division and beyond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oveido Voodoo said:

But... do you see anyone out there in the draft who is just..."The Perfect Fit" for the magic??? I mean regardless of talent or upside... just someone who can come in and have an effect right away?

Not really. Don't really think perfect fits exist in prospects. Too many unknowns about how things will translate etc. 

2 hours ago, Heffernan said:

I think we will take one of the twins with the 6th pick and I would be ok with that. Some might call me crazy, but I think we are only another good rookie and veteran prescence away from competing for the division and beyond.

Trying to sell myself the idea of drafting one of them. From videos, I lean towards Amen but seems like Ausar has better form on his shot? I like Amens ability to make plays and his athleticism. Neither shoot well from FT.

It seems like anyone we draft they’re  possibly a backup and I got serious qualms with our starting backcourt.

I just can’t put a finger on anyone outside of Vic, Scoot and maybe Miller that I feel can come in and start and really elevate us as a contender.

I’m even trying to convince myself that we should draft Keyonte George. 

2 hours ago, ball junkie said:

My 2 Cents …

I’m with you on Scoot. I keep reading some of the basketball minds I trust rave about him.  I like that Portland trade idea that has been floated. He’s the only player I’d trade up for in the draft. 

I also am not sure it’s a good idea to have 2 more rookies. This team has so many young players that need minutes. If they don’t trade for Scoot I’d rather make a trade for a veteran guard.  

Another issues I haven’t seen brought up is The New CBA starting next year.  Ryen Russillo and Bill Simons did a great job of breaking down the implications this will have league wide on their recent Pod Cast. This might be the year to make a move with that in mind as well. 

16 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

but he’s a complimentary piece and he definitely has the mindset and mentality to be the main guy (which he is not) He had arguments on court with several players and coaches now, including Sengun.. 

I definitely like the theoretical thought, but i’d absolutely think he’d f up our team chemistry 

I actually think, in a situation like that, it might just be that their culture and he are not jiving. We have to remember he wanted to be the number one overall pick and that he's only 20 years old. I think one thing going for the magic is they have a really good culture.

in my mind, I would actually trade the #6 pick and the #11 pick for him straight up unless we felt very strongly about someone at #6. 

The guy is a 6'11" 3&D guy who is an apparent gym rat and competitor and probably has the capacity to shoot 40% from 3PT for his career with his smooth shooting mechanics.

I don't think Houston actually ever wanted him. A lineup of Fultz/JSJ/Franz/Paolo/WCJ is a matchup nightmare and a team I would bank on making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in 3 years. 

27 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I actually think, in a situation like that, it might just be that their culture and he are not jiving. We have to remember he wanted to be the number one overall pick and that he's only 20 years old. I think one thing going for the magic is they have a really good culture.

in my mind, I would actually trade the #6 pick and the #11 pick for him straight up unless we felt very strongly about someone at #6. 

The guy is a 6'11" 3&D guy who is an apparent gym rat and competitor and probably has the capacity to shoot 40% from 3PT for his career with his smooth shooting mechanics.

I don't think Houston actually ever wanted him. A lineup of Fultz/JSJ/Franz/Paolo/WCJ is a matchup nightmare and a team I would bank on making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in 3 years. 

Wait. Are you talking about Jabari Smith Jr?! As a two guard?!