Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

24 minutes ago, Forumreader said:

steph book klay were all picks 7 and up

im just reminding

Yeah I hope Weham gets this right.

usually I have a good idea who I’d like to see us draft. I have no freaking clue right now.

The Magic look ready to roll in the frontcourt. Between Paolo Banchero, Franz Wagner and Wendell Carter Jr., Orlando has three above-average starters all under the age of 25.

The backcourt is a bit of a different story, though. The Magic have guards, but it's unclear if any are long-term keepers. Markelle Fultz can't score from range, Cole Anthony is a defensive liability and Jalen Suggs lacks obvious utility on offense.

Orlando has quantity in its guard group, but it needs more quality options. The Magic have two lottery picks (Nos. 6 and 11) to help fill that gap, and if they have a chance to consolidate the picks and move up for a top guard in this draft, they should.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10077241-every-teams-biggest-need-in-the-2023-nba-draft

4 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

If they add Harden and Siakim, I'm curious if they'll trade Porter Jr., Green or Smith Jr... Smith Jr. had a terrible year, but he could be a buy-low candidate.

You want to talk about someone we should 100% go after? JSJ if he's available. His defensive motor, shooting, and length makes him such a complimentary player to Franz and Paolo. You could even argue you could start JSJ at SG and just have an elitely long defensive team. I would 100% be behind this idea if it were even a possibility. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TreyMachine said:

You want to talk about someone we should 100% go after? JSJ if he's available. His defensive motor, shooting, and length makes him such a complimentary player to Franz and Paolo. You could even argue you could start JSJ at SG and just have an elitely long defensive team. I would 100% be behind this idea if it were even a possibility. 

but he’s a complimentary piece and he definitely has the mindset and mentality to be the main guy (which he is not) He had arguments on court with several players and coaches now, including Sengun.. 

I definitely like the theoretical thought, but i’d absolutely think he’d f up our team chemistry 

Wonder what the stock of Kobe Brown is like. 6'7 senior PF from Missouri who had an awesome senior season statistically. Shot 46% from 3 this year. Not great defensively but he's awesome on offense. See ESPN have him in the 40s but I've legitimately heard no buzz about him at all. 

On 11/18/2022 at 7:29 AM, CTMagicUK said:

I really don't think this team needs two more rookies. Going to be super interesting to see what we do with these picks. 

I suppose it depends on whether you want to be in the "win now mentality" yet... We showed promise with this team, towards the end of the season... but if you don't really think this team is ready to compete for late season playoff bids... then what is wrong with just grabbing all the young talent you can and seeing what works out...

Sure you don't want to let it go to the point where your players are not competing or trying to win... unless you are tanking for the 2nd coming of LBJ... but I could see an Asur Thompson or a Jordan Hawkins... or even a Jet Howard or Grady Dick contributing and growing with this team...

If you are more of the mindset that we could compete for playoff or even championships by adding ... oh let's say a proven scoring and floor spacing guard from trade or free agency, who might that be?

Bradley Beal... Fred Vanfleet, Damian Lillard...Seth Curry...Darius Garland... maybe O.G. ANUNOBY, Jaden McDaniels, Dorian Finney Smith...or how bout Josh Hart... 

Would any of those guys or even two of them put us over the top?

Would a non head case version of Kyrie Irving put this current team into championship contention? ...maybe but he is a head case... so too bad...

Would  a DeAndre Ayton's rim protecting with Wendel at 4 and Banchero at 3 work with Fultz at 1 and with Wagner at 2??? I would say yes if Fultz improves his 3... and Wagner could guard solid at the 2... either way it's all dependent on what ifs...

Is there one player we could add to this team that would make us championship contenders right now?   .... besides a healthy LBJ...

Or are we at least 2 players away still? 

Because for NBA teams the worst is being mediocre.... no chance of winning a championship... and everybody knows it... no chance of winning a lottery and scoring the next generational talent... just no hope on any level at all...

Fans want hope of some kind... even if it is just that their young players will develop...

Right now, I would say this team is full of hope... hope that our young players will develop into allstar talent... that Franz will continue to improve ... that Fultz will develop his shot and space the floor for Paulo and that our team will come together and start winning and get into the playoffs... but I don't think anyone was disappointed that we didn't make the Eastern Conference Finals this year... I mean realistically...

So when you say no more rookies... does that mean we are ready to compete for deep playoff runs? If we add just one more piece to the puzzle?

Or do you think that too many rookies would make us less competitive in nature to the point where development of said rookies would be hindered by the lack of any expectation to win at all?

I'm curious because I don't realistically see any one player not named LBJ...who could come over and flip this current roster into champions over night... maybe Damian Lilard...but there is also the thought that we have done well at drafting and developing rookies

I can also see this team ... "as it is"... competing for a championship... if all of our young players come back with improvements to their games. Specifically floor spacing and 3 point shot making...and maybe adding rin protection...

Ha... ha ... there it is ...  hope!

9 minutes ago, Oveido Voodoo said:

I suppose it depends on whether you want to be in the "win now mentality" yet... We showed promise with this team, towards the end of the season... but if you don't really think this team is ready to compete for late season playoff bids... then what is wrong with just grabbing all the young talent you can and seeing what works out...

Sure you don't want to let it go to the point where your players are not competing or trying to win... unless you are tanking for the 2nd coming of LBJ... but I could see an Asur Thompson or a Jordan Hawkins... or even a Jet Howard or Grady Dick contributing and growing with this team...

If you are more of the mindset that we could compete for playoff or even championships by adding ... oh let's say a proven scoring and floor spacing guard from trade or free agency, who might that be?

Bradley Beal... Fred Vanfleet, Damian Lillard...Seth Curry...Darius Garland... maybe O.G. ANUNOBY, Jaden McDaniels, Dorian Finney Smith...or how bout Josh Hart... 

Would any of those guys or even two of them put us over the top?

Would a non head case version of Kyrie Irving put this current team into championship contention? ...maybe but he is a head case... so too bad...

Would  a DeAndre Ayton's rim protecting with Wendel at 4 and Banchero at 3 work with Fultz at 1 and with Wagner at 2??? I would say yes if Fultz improves his 3... and Wagner could guard solid at the 2... either way it's all dependent on what ifs...

Is there one player we could add to this team that would make us championship contenders right now?   .... besides a healthy LBJ...

Or are we at least 2 players away still? 

Because for NBA teams the worst is being mediocre.... no chance of winning a championship... and everybody knows it... no chance of winning a lottery and scoring the next generational talent... just no hope on any level at all...

Fans want hope of some kind... even if it is just that their young players will develop...

Right now, I would say this team is full of hope... hope that our young players will develop into allstar talent... that Franz will continue to improve ... that Fultz will develop his shot and space the floor for Paulo and that our team will come together and start winning and get into the playoffs... but I don't think anyone was disappointed that we didn't make the Eastern Conference Finals this year... I mean realistically...

So when you say no more rookies... does that mean we are ready to compete for deep playoff runs? If we add just one more piece to the puzzle?

Or do you think that too many rookies would make us less competitive in nature to the point where development of said rookies would be hindered by the lack of any expectation to win at all?

I'm curious because I don't realistically see any one player not named LBJ...who could come over and flip this current roster into champions over night... maybe Damian Lilard...but there is also the thought that we have done well at drafting and developing rookies

I can also see this team ... "as it is"... competing for a championship... if all of our young players come back with improvements to their games. Specifically floor spacing and 3 point shot making...and maybe adding rin protection...

Ha... ha ... there it is ...  hope!

Just so we're clear I posted that 6 months ago. As it stands I want us to use 6 and 11.

7 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Just so we're clear I posted that 6 months ago. As it stands I want us to use 6 and 11.

Yeah, you don't think we are one move away from a ring yet either?

I like Jordan Hawkins as a steal out of this draft with the 11 pick... he plays tough D at least sticks to his man pretty good... and is 6'5" so he is not undersized... with his shot he has plenty of upside... and could space the floor from day one...

Do you think  a Grady Dick could play Defense on NBA 2 guards?

47 minutes ago, Oveido Voodoo said:

Yeah, you don't think we are one move away from a ring yet either?

I like Jordan Hawkins as a steal out of this draft with the 11 pick... he plays tough D at least sticks to his man pretty good... and is 6'5" so he is not undersized... with his shot he has plenty of upside... and could space the floor from day one...

Do you think  a Grady Dick could play Defense on NBA 2 guards?

I've got Hawkins at like 17 on my board. Wouldn't mind us drafting him but think there'll be better prospects available. 

Don't really think Gradey could guard 2s consistently but we don't really need him to. We have Suggs. Franz can play the 2 in spurts also. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I've got Hawkins at like 17 on my board. Wouldn't mind us drafting him but think there'll be better prospects available. 

Don't really think Gradey could guard 2s consistently but we don't really need him to. We have Suggs. Franz can play the 2 in spurts also. 

Yeah... 

I agree Hawkins is likely still available after 11... but he has that quick release on an accurate shot... and runs the court in a Steph Curry type fashion on offense... I don't think he has the handles of a Steph... but he reminds me of Rip Hamilton from the Pistons bad boy teams...just saying... everyone was gawking about Devin Booker getting drafted at 13...that turned out...

He seems like a player you could run plays for that would open up the floor spacing even if he doesn't get the ball... he doesn't need the ball to be effective....  Not that any team is going to run plays for a post lottery rookie... just that he has that kind of upside... which in itself is kind of an underrated talent...and he might be a really good fit on this team. I agree that there are other players with higher potential "super star" talent... but we already have Paulo for that... and Suggs is super talented and athletic but doesn't really show potential to space out the floor.

Do you like us picking a taller more of a wing style player, like Taylor Hendrix... or or Grady or Keyonte George? That seems pretty safe.

What do you think about nabbing a solid rim protector like Derek Lively at 11? That guy is young and quick like a cat... and probably has huge upside at an 11 pick...

I mean, I love Wendel Carter... but do you think The team could shift down a slot ... as in Carter at 4... Paulo at 3... Franz at 2 and Fultz to run it?

That might address spacing issues right there if Paulo continues shooting like he did late in the season...

I'm really hoping Fultz starts hitting from downtown... that would fix a lot by it's self.

32 minutes ago, Oveido Voodoo said:

Suggs is super talented and athletic but doesn't really show potential to space out the floor.

I think he'll get there. 

33 minutes ago, Oveido Voodoo said:

Do you like us picking a taller more of a wing style player, like Taylor Hendrix... or or Grady or Keyonte George? That seems pretty safe.

Honestly I don't mind. I think wings are what I'd be targeting but I'm very much draft Best Player Available and figure everything else out later. I like all the guys you mentioned theoretically for us. 

41 minutes ago, Oveido Voodoo said:

What do you think about nabbing a solid rim protector like Derek Lively at 11? That guy is young and quick like a cat... and probably has huge upside at an 11 pick...

I'd be good with it. I mentioned it myself a couple pages back. Rim protection is super important in the league and he offers it. If you go that route just play him at backup 5 for now and figure everything else out later.

43 minutes ago, Oveido Voodoo said:

I mean, I love Wendel Carter... but do you think The team could shift down a slot ... as in Carter at 4... Paulo at 3... Franz at 2 and Fultz to run it?.

No I don't think that'd work full time personally. Wendell is a 5. Paolo a 4. For a couple of minutes a game? Maybe against the right lineups. 

44 minutes ago, Oveido Voodoo said:

I'm really hoping Fultz starts hitting from downtown... 

Aren't we all! I can't say I'm holding my breath but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.