Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

20 minutes ago, TreyMachine said:

I think absolutely no one knows what the Magic are going to do at this point. There wasn't a peep about Paolo to the Magic last summer, and there were A LOT of people with connections to management saying what they thought. 

This is the antithesis of the Moldy Hobo days where stuff was leaked directly to this board. 

Nothing - NOTHING - is going to get out until it happens. 

absolutely agree! From what i can tell from an interview with Weltman is that they want to build through the draft.. So drafting at 6 and 11 does make sense if you feel like that core can develop into a contender.. 

I would only do major trades.. Trading for the 3rd pick feels major to me if it is for Scoot. 

But there are not a lot of trades out there i’d do for 6 and 11. Wouldn’t even want Neal or any of that category All Stars. 

An ESPN article about what it would hypothetically take to get the Spurs to even consider an offer for the #1 pick...

The 2022 Rookie of the Year on the move

San Antonio Spurs get: Paolo Banchero, Jalen Suggs, two first-round picks (2023 No. 6 and No. 11)

Orlando Magic get: 2023 No. 1 overall pick

This at least gets San Antonio to answer the phone, right? Right?? Look, we all know how hard it would be to actually get the Spurs to trade this pick away. If you have to do it, you have to swing for the fences. In return for Wembenyama, the Magic would send the 2023 Rookie of the Year and 2022 No. 1 pick (Banchero) as well as one of the team's lottery selections from the 2021 draft (Suggs). Throw in this year's two first-rounders and that's four top-11 selections over a three-year span for the French phenom. Banchero averaged 20.0 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists in his rookie season. San Antonio also gets Suggs, the No. 5 pick in 2021, who has struggled shooting the ball but was 36% from deep after the All-Star break this season.

Banchero, 20, showed the ability to take over games at a young age last season. He would immediately form one of the league's better young duos along with 23-year-old Keldon Johnson, who averaged 22 points a season ago. Banchero could give San Antonio unique possibilities with larger lineups in Johnson, Jeremy Sochan and Devin Vassell. Throw in Tre Jones, Zach Collins, Malaki Branham and whomever the Spurs pick with the other two lottery picks, and the bones of a nice, young team on the come-up start to take shape. Maybe not the shape of a 7-5 French player with an 8-foot wingspan, but a shape nonetheless.

It would never happen, but it's fun to think about. Would everyone here pull the trigger on this deal? 

52 minutes ago, OldPennyFan said:

An ESPN article about what it would hypothetically take to get the Spurs to even consider an offer for the #1 pick...

San Antonio Spurs get: Paolo Banchero, Jalen Suggs, two first-round picks (2023 No. 6 and No. 11)

This at least gets San Antonio to answer the phone, right? Right?? Look, we all know how hard it would be to actually get the Spurs to trade this pick away. If you have to do it, you have to swing for the fences. In return for Wembenyama, the Magic would send the 2023 Rookie of the Year and 2022 No. 1 pick (Banchero) as well as one of the team's lottery selections from the 2021 draft (Suggs). Throw in this year's two first-rounders and that's four top-11 selections over a three-year span for the French phenom. Banchero averaged 20.0 points, 6.9 rebounds and 3.7 assists in his rookie season. San Antonio also gets Suggs, the No. 5 pick in 2021, who has struggled shooting the ball but was 36% from deep after the All-Star break this season.

Banchero, 20, showed the ability to take over games at a young age last season. He would immediately form one of the league's better young duos along with 23-year-old Keldon Johnson, who averaged 22 points a season ago. Banchero could give San Antonio unique possibilities with larger lineups in Johnson, Jeremy Sochan and Devin Vassell. Throw in Tre Jones, Zach Collins, Malaki Branham and whomever the Spurs pick with the other two lottery picks, and the bones of a nice, young team on the come-up start to take shape. Maybe not the shape of a 7-5 French player with an 8-foot wingspan, but a shape nonetheless.

It would never happen, but it's fun to think about. Would everyone here pull the trigger on this deal? 

nope, no chance… 

Wembanyama is definitely not a guaranteed future All Star.. We’ve seen bad situations with a lot of big man. Worst is probably Oden or the dude who got picked before Jordan..

I get it that you have to draft him number 1 but no way i would break the bank to trade for him.. 

That said i’d do the same package, but include Franz instead of Paolo. It would hurt a lot, but that’s most i’d be willing to do (of course we could talk about including Cole and Bol Bol, just to let them get a feel of a pogo stick)

Speaking of Bol Bol. WTF happened to his motor during the season? Somehow all that talk and sudden success made him feel to comfy i guess

what y’all think about Zach Edey? He’s definitely under the radar.. seen workout videos of him and he looks more mobile than i remember. Kinda looked good rim running too! 

i’d definitely consider him as a second round pick to get some defense and blocked shots on that center rotation..

That would also help not to draft Lively at 11 if he’s available. He’s only be a fit pick anyway. 

I think we're in a great spot in the draft. First, we crushed Chicago in the Vooch trade. Franz, WCJ and #11? Wow. Now we have two great picks this year, or we have the ammo to move around. Love the position the Magic are in right now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OldPennyFan said:

I'm in the same boat as others. Big men with a lot of length and athleticism certainly have upside (see D12, Shaq, the Admiral, Olajuwon), but there's also a TON of guys who were tall and high draft picks who could never stayed healthy to live up to their potential (Oden, Sam Bowie, Porzingas, Zion). 

Paolo put up the best rookie stats since Luka, is 6'11", has great bball IQ, and is a great big man passer. Assuming he stays healthy, he's at least a 4x all-star over his career. You don't trade that for a swing at a generational talent unless you REALLY believe in the upside over the downside. 

I've been back and forth on this so much (and possibly will again) but I think Ausar is who I'm taking at 6 if he's there. 

If he's a league average NBA shooter he does enough of everything else to be one of the best non- primary creator wings in the NBA. His defense is awesome when he's locked in, think he's got potential to guard 1-3. His passing and playmaking and general feel is terrific, he's also got a decent handle. He's a great cutter off ball and in transition. If he was a better shooter it'd be like he was designed in a lab to be the perfect compliment to Franz/Paolo. But if he was a better shooter he wouldn't be on the board at 6. 

I also buy the jumper quite a bit. He made huge improvements last season to this season. 

Ive kind of come around to including Derek Lively in the group I like at 11 also. He's so huge and such a great and athletic rim protector it's probably worth betting on that. Plus he flashed a 3 point jumper in HS so might be potential there on offense. I've moved him a couple of spots up in my rankings, he's in the teens now. 

31 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I've been back and forth on this so much (and possibly will again) but I think Ausar is who I'm taking at 6 if he's there. 

If he's a league average NBA shooter he does enough of everything else to be one of the best non- primary creator wings in the NBA. His defense is awesome when he's locked in, think he's got potential to guard 1-3. His passing and playmaking and general feel is terrific, he's also got a decent handle. He's a great cutter off ball and in transition. If he was a better shooter it'd be like he was designed in a lab to be the perfect compliment to Franz/Paolo. But if he was a better shooter he wouldn't be on the board at 6. 

I also buy the jumper quite a bit. He made huge improvements last season to this season. 

Ive kind of come around to including Derek Lively in the group I like at 11 also. He's so huge and such a great and athletic rim protector it's probably worth betting on that. Plus he flashed a 3 point jumper in HS so might be potential there on offense. I've moved him a couple of spots up in my rankings, he's in the teens now. 

it definitely wouldn’t be a mistake to draft Ausar Thompson.. You basically betting on him being a starter. The other options are designed to strengthen the bench rotation. 

or you move Suggs in the starting unit and play Cole and Ausar off the bench. That could ultimately work as Cole is quite ball dominant and can also play off the ball and knock down shots..  

Either way, you can go wrong imo at 6. It’s either Ausar, Walker or Whitmore. No way to upset there imo.….

the 11th pick is quite tricky.. 

and there is also the case of Cason Wallace. Do you bet on him being available at 11? that would actually be my best case scenario if you draft Walker at 6 and Wallace at 11. Wallace is the perfect starter next to Fultz, Paolo, Wagner. Relentless defense and a knockdown shooter. 

18 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

it definitely wouldn’t be a mistake to draft Ausar Thompson.. You basically betting on him being a starter. The other options are designed to strengthen the bench rotation. 

or you move Suggs in the starting unit and play Cole and Ausar off the bench. That could ultimately work as Cole is quite ball dominant and can also play off the ball and knock down shots..  

Either way, you can go wrong imo at 6. It’s either Ausar, Walker or Whitmore. No way to upset there imo.….

the 11th pick is quite tricky.. 

and there is also the case of Cason Wallace. Do you bet on him being available at 11? that would actually be my best case scenario if you draft Walker at 6 and Wallace at 11. Wallace is the perfect starter next to Fultz, Paolo, Wagner. Relentless defense and a knockdown shooter. 

I have Wallace in that group at 11 but in my ideal we get Gradey or Bufkin. 

1 hour ago, CTMagicUK said:

I kind of go back and forth between him, Whitmore, and Hendricks (if all are available). The things that keep bringing me back towards Whitmore are that 1) he's a year younger than Ausar and 2) he played against normal college competition vs. in a new league, so it's easier to get a read on his true ability level.  However, I'm neck and neck between the two of them. I definitely like that Ausar is more of a two guard than a forward, which is what we really need. But then I think, why not just take Hendricks, he's got both a decent three point shot already and the defense? Slide Franz to the two... I just wish Franz was a bit more consistent at guarding 2s. I feel like Hendricks and Dick have the most obvious fit on this team of those potentially available at our two spots, but they certainly have lower ceilings than most other options. I think I'd definitely take Gradey at 11 if he's still available there, but I'd be really reluctant to take him at 6.

• Upvote 1