Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

8 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Agree. And the free agent pool at the 5 this year sucks. It's essentially Jakob Poeltl and a 35 year old Brook Lopez and that's it. 

Part of why I think we may just guarantee Goga - his play at the end of the year was decent, he's still young and learning/improving, and he's reasonably priced. I wouldn't mind picking up a vet backup who can step in if WCJ is out (a la Robin Lopez a couple years ago). Someone who is a good practice guy, positive influence, and okay to spend a lot of time on the bench. In other words, not DHoward and probably not Vuc. I don't think either would be happy being backup/3rd string. 

9 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Agree. And the free agent pool at the 5 this year sucks. It's essentially Jakob Poeltl and a 35 year old Brook Lopez and that's it. 

With everything that is going on with the Celtics....are they better off trading Jaylen Brown on draft night (than loosing him on free agency next year) for a high pick, players and more picks?

Markelle or Suggs (which one we want to keep), our 6th pick, Chuma or JI + a few 2nd round picks....not sure this offer will cut it for them.

Nevertheless, I think Jaylen will be there for a trade on draft night. 

1 hour ago, jmmagicfan said:

Part of why I think we may just guarantee Goga - his play at the end of the year was decent, he's still young and learning/improving, and he's reasonably priced. I wouldn't mind picking up a vet backup who can step in if WCJ is out (a la Robin Lopez a couple years ago). Someone who is a good practice guy, positive influence, and okay to spend a lot of time on the bench. In other words, not DHoward and probably not Vuc. I don't think either would be happy being backup/3rd string. 

Goga has same issue as Kanter. Just can’t play defense. 

Similar to Mo Wagner..

that’s why i truly think we will draft Lively at 11. 

1 minute ago, orlandoholic said:

Similar to Mo Wagner..

I actually think Goga isnt bad on defense personally. He's better than Mo Wagner. He's not super quick footed on the perimeter but he's a solid rim protector.

53 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

I actually think Goga isnt bad on defense personally. He's better than Mo Wagner. He's not super quick footed on the perimeter but he's a solid rim protector.

he’s is better than Mo, for sure. But let’s not forget. He played limited minutes in meaningless games. And at times he actually looked good. 
But those flashes have always followed bad games in Indiana. That’s why my comparison is Kanter, who also wasn’t terrible all the time

That said, i’m definitely keeping Goga as a third string center.. 

My issue with drafting shooters in the draft, is that they rarely translate as advertised in the NBA. I am definitely staying away from Dick!!

- McLemore was supposed to be hyperathletic Ray Allen 2.0

- Kispert was Joe Harris 2.0

- Jabari Smith was R. Lewis/ Gallinari 2.0

- Monk struggled for long

- Nesmith struggling for his career

- Reddish struggling

- K. Knox struggling for his career

- Kennard solid

just to name a few.. Rarely do these shooters work out.. I can think of Cam Johnson and Trey Murphy, but struggling to find more

2 hours ago, orlandoholic said:

Similar to Mo Wagner..

I'm definitely coming around to Lively at 11, especially if Grady isn't there. I think he could be a more athletic version of Kessler. Extremely raw on the offensive side, though.

1 hour ago, orlandoholic said:

My issue with drafting shooters in the draft, is that they rarely translate as advertised in the NBA. I am definitely staying away from Dick!!

- Reddish struggling

- Kennard solid

just to name a few.. Rarely do these shooters work out.. I can think of Cam Johnson and Trey Murphy, but struggling to find more

But we could go the opposite and pick people who were good shooters in college who struggled early and finished as some of the best shooters.

- Reddish struggling

- Kennard solid

I think Hawkins shooting will translate more than any other prospects in this class. He's the best shooter on the move in this class, and probably the best in a while. A lot of those prospects you've listed were spot up, stationary shooter. 

Wallace measured 2½ inches longer and more than an inch taller than expected from the figures we received from the Kentucky pro day in October -- an event that seemed to shortchange several of its players (Chris Livingston's wingspan is more than 3 inches longer and he's over an inch taller, for example). At 6-4 in shoes, 195 pounds with a 6-8½ wingspan, John Wall, Bruce BrownDe'Anthony Melton and Derrick White are some of the comps our database offers, suggesting Wallace has the type of coveted defensive versatility we saw in his lone season at Kentucky.
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/37707731/nba-draft-combine-brandon-miller-interviews-12-teams

• Upvote 1

Taking team fit out of the equation, I'm curious how the other members of this board separate the top prospects by tiers? In my view, we should be able to pick up one player from the fourth group and one from the fifth where we sit at 6 and 11. How would you group the top prospects differently?

Tier 1: Victor Wembanyama

Tier 2: Scoot Henderson

Tier 3: Brandon Miller

Tier 4: Cam Whitmore, Amen Thompson, Ausar Thompson

Tier 5: Taylor Hendricks, Jarace Walker, Gradey Dick, Anthony Black, Cason Wallace

- Reddish struggling

- Kennard solid

This is a bizarre take to me. Half the guys on that list are very good NBA shooters the other half didn't have college careers that suggested they'd be very good shooters.