Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

2 hours ago, Soul Bro said:

Watch us draft some long-armed international wing at 11… after which I then talk myself into liking the pick. Lol

I hate both the Wagner and Banchero picks when we made them. This front office has won the right for me to just blindly trust who they pick at this point even though this did also draft Mo Bamba 5 years ago. 

I'd be happy if it ended up like this 

At 6 one of Ausar/Whitmore/Anthony Black/Taylor Hendricks 

At 11 one of Bufkin/Dick/Leonard Miller/Cason Wallace/Keyonte George 

Those 9 names are all in my top 14. (Wemby, Scoot, Amen, Miller won't be available at 6. The remaining name is Jarace Walker who I think I'm marginally lower on than consensus so he's one who I would lean other prospects over him at 6 but don't believe will be on the board at 11).

But I agree entirely with Trey Magic that the past two drafts have earned this front office enough of my trust where I'll get on board with whoever they draft until it's unequivocally proved they were the wrong pick (which realistically will be a couple years from now minimum). 

Jonathan Wasserman new mock plus a whole lot about guys who helped or hurt thier stock at the combine: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10076423-stock-up-stock-down-how-the-2023-nba-draft-combine-changed-our-mock-draft

Happy for Brandin Podziemski getting first round buzz, even if I hoped he'd be there at 36 for us. He's a good player. 

Very interesting Magic related note: As noted a few pages ago Bobi Klintman shut it down early, opting not to even go to the combine fueling speculation he has a promise. Most considered it'd be in the first round, Wasserman has him going to the Magic at 36. Whether that's intel related or just a wild guess remains to be seen but it's worth noting that the Magic promised Caleb Houstan very early in the process last year (Houstan also didn't even attend the combine and at the time people speculated the Thunder had promised him at 30). 

(follow up thought to the above) I've got to say whether or not Klintman is being picked by us, which at this point is just speculation, when you have an early second round pick and are willing to offer players a guaranteed contract in the second round (when a lot of teams are only offering two ways now) it makes a lot of sense to promise a guy like Houstan or Klintman who perhaps you might have higher on your board than the consensus.

Like let's say we believe Klintman is a top 20-25 player in this draft but his stock isn't trending close to that. By giving him a promise now he shuts it down, effectively stopping any chance of his stock rising with other teams meaning you get your guy without having to trade up or anything and he still gets the guaranteed contract and the knowledge that the team who drafts him really values him to commit to him this early. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

I'd be happy if it ended up like this 

At 6 one of Ausar/Whitmore/Anthony Black/Taylor Hendricks 

At 11 one of Bufkin/Dick/Leonard Miller/Cason Wallace/Keyonte George 

Those 9 names are all in my top 14. (Wemby, Scoot, Amen, Miller won't be available at 6. The remaining name is Jarace Walker who I think I'm marginally lower on than consensus so he's one who I would lean other prospects over him at 6 but don't believe will be on the board at 11).

But I agree entirely with Trey Magic that the past two drafts have earned this front office enough of my trust where I'll get on board with whoever they draft until it's unequivocally proved they were the wrong pick (which realistically will be a couple years from now minimum). 

i agree with your list.. actually quite similar to mine.. 

Im curious though, why is Leonard Miller so high on your board? i haven’t followed him too much. Did he justify the hype he was getting from last year?

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

(follow up thought to the above) I've got to say whether or not Klintman is being picked by us, which at this point is just speculation, when you have an early second round pick and are willing to offer players a guaranteed contract in the second round (when a lot of teams are only offering two ways now) it makes a lot of sense to promise a guy like Houstan or Klintman who perhaps you might have higher on your board than the consensus.

Like let's say we believe Klintman is a top 20-25 player in this draft but his stock isn't trending close to that. By giving him a promise now he shuts it down, effectively stopping any chance of his stock rising with other teams meaning you get your guy without having to trade up or anything and he still gets the guaranteed contract and the knowledge that the team who drafts him really values him to commit to him this early. 

if that’s the strategy, it is pretty darn good way to get your guy.. At the same time i dunno, because it robs you of many opportunities and prospects that might fall

53 minutes ago, orlandoholic said:

i agree with your list.. actually quite similar to mine.. 

Im curious though, why is Leonard Miller so high on your board? i haven’t followed him too much. Did he justify the hype he was getting from last year?

Played in the G league this season and looked like he'd improved a lot playing against grown men. Looks more of a 4/5 now than the 3/4 people billed him as last draft cycle. 

6'10 with a 7'2 wingspan, big hands, fluid athlete. Can handle the ball in transition. Awesome rebounder. Good finisher and interior scorer. A little inconsistent defensively but some flashes of being impactful. Not a great shooter but I think there's reason to believe it'll improve. Turns the ball over too much but no reason he can't cut that down as he gets more experience.

I think I'm higher on him than most to be honest but I just think he has a lot of tools whereby if he puts it all together he could be a really good NBA player in like a Siakam mould. 

They got the Magic guy on here …he says the Magic don’t need to 2 more young guys …one is enough …anyway, was interesting 2 guys that know their teams very well 

Im in love with Gradey at 6 and Hawkins at 11... That gives us a Quad of 3 point shooting to play and space. You got Caleb, Dick, Hawkins and Harris as rotation.

You start Fultz, Gradey, WCJ, Paolo and Franz and coming off the bench you got Caleb, Hawkins, Suggs, Cole, Harris, JI, Mo and Goga... Expendables are Admiral, MCW, BOL, and Chuma. all those can be trad bait for some veterans or kept. That leaves Scubb and Kevon with 2 way contracts. Obviously thats 2 over so i would trade Bol, Chuma and a filler for a decent Vet or something.

• Upvote 1

Just doing some research on Cam Whitmore and I really think he could either be Jaylen Brown or Josh Jackson. His FT % really worries me and it seems like he needs the ball a lot.