Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Right, I was overly excited with my analysis. His floor would be like a Derrick White level contributor but with a different skillset.

The bold is what's really important. I think Fultz is a great guy and has undeniable talent, but I wonder if we'll have to move him to the bench to take the next step as a team.

Right it's difficult, because I actually think there's an argument that the team could be worse short term with Scoot at PG over Fultz but with a potentially higher ceiling. 

Teams who start rookie PGs don't often win lots of games. 

Really interesting info out there this morning. Both picks 3 and 4 are expected to be traded, the Athletic’s writers speculate. Would we move up? For whom? No idea.

I get the intrigue of Ausar, but if we go that route, we have to walk away with someone like Dick at 11… a guy who can shoot the lights out.

Ok I'm bored let's game this out:

For me personally the only guy worth trading up for is Scoot (presuming Wemby is impossible - which it is)

I (again personally) don't really believe there's that big of a gap between Miller and the Whitmore/Hendricks/Walker group where I'd feel good giving up multiple lottery picks.

Amen in a vacuum I'd do but for this team specifically I wouldn't.

Then you're at pick 5 so unless you feel like someone is going to trade with Detroit to get whoever your guy is from the remainder I think you just take the best of the rest. 

So presuming we don't trade up for Scoot the draft will go:

1. Wemby

Then I think it's reasonably safe to assume that, even if picks are traded the next 3 picks will be some combination of Scoot, Miller and Amen Thompson. 

That means what Detroit does at 5 is super interesting. 

Talk from their fans suggest Walker, Hendricks, Whitmore feel like the prospects their GM will like. And their roster construction suggests they'll be going for a forward.

That leaves us with all but one of those guys and the rest of the field on the board. 

The wild card is a falling guy from that non Wemby top 3. 

If Miller falls to 5 Im not sure he makes it past Detroit so nothing more to consider.

I think there's a chance Amen could slide which case I think he possibly slides past both us and Detroit, maybe we explore a trade back if someone like Indiana or Washington are desperate for him.

If Scoot slides past Detroit we should sprint to the *****ing podium, it doesn't matter if we have Fultz at that point the value is so good it'd be daft not to do it and figure it out later. 

We'll obviously have to look at what all the non Spurs teams above us are considering because trades could shift things but in general I think what Detroit does at 5 is most likely to affect who we select. 

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Teams who start rookie PGs don't often win lots of games. 

Well, I imagine we would still start Fultz, and use him as a scorer in the second unit. He would have to earn the starting role, and we actually lacked a real backup PG last season.

2 hours ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Right, I was overly excited with my analysis. His floor would be like a Derrick White level contributor but with a different skillset.

The bold is what's really important. I think Fultz is a great guy and has undeniable talent, but I wonder if we'll have to move him to the bench to take the next step as a team.

Fultz is a player that makes everyone else around him better and doesn't need to take 20 shots to make an impact. High, high BBIQ. 

What we need are strong role players at 6 and 11. Guys who will compliment each other like the Nuggets. Maybe we do have higher individual scoring power with Scott, but I think Fultz has all the tools to be a 20/5/8 guy if he wanted to be "the guy," but chooses not to - which is what you want on a team. 

15 minutes ago, Luke_FfS said:

Well, I imagine we would still start Fultz, and use him as a scorer in the second unit. He would have to earn the starting role, and we actually lacked a real backup PG last season.

Does Cole Anthony not exist?

I still believe that Scoot goes at 2 to Charlotte, even with them having LaMelo. I don't believe the narrative that Miller is seriously being considered over Scoot by any teams, even those with a PG. I also don't think picks 6 and 11 are enough juice to get you all the way up to 2. Probably they can likely net you pick 4 and maybe 3. So the players worth considering if they're worth trading up for are Brandon Miller or Amen Thompson. I'm a no on Thompson, and a maybe on Miller, but leaning no. I'd just stay at 6 and 11. All of these guys other than Wemby and Scoot have a decent number of question marks and when you're picking among guys that might not pan out, it's better to pick two than have to roll the dice on only one.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Trade 6 and 11 for LaMelo. If we’re trading let’s do it for a proven player. Only player in the draft worth trading up for is Wemby and that ain’t happening

Spicy. 

Lamelo yet to prove he's a winning player and I'm not super convinced he's the type of person this organisation targets but he's a fun player.

I’d personally trade the picks for a young PG that can shoot and offer 4/65 at Reeves which alongside Wagner, PB and Carter could propel us into a playoff/playin team. It’s time to look at cashing in some assets for some success

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

He does, but I don't see him as a real playmaker honestly, not in the old version of the role at least.

I know nothing about draft prospects, so it's hard for me to judge. But usually a number 2/3 pick should become a better player than Cole.

1 hour ago, TreyMachine said:

Cole is not a starting PG, he is a shooting guard in a point guard body. He doesn't have a PG mentality of getting everyone else going and controlling the game. He tends to be too focused on his own shot. I think Cole is at his best playing as your 6th man. He has that alpha dog attitude, and should dominate other backup PG/SG matchups. We didn't have a reliable backup PG at the start of the season because he was starting, which didn't really work out for him or the team. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1