Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

49 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

If we couldn’t win I’m pleased with the outcome. Didn’t want Houston or Detroit to win because of how bad they were, and there probably isn’t a better coach pairing for Wemby than Pop. 

Hoping Anthony Black is there at 6

No more guys who need to learn how to shoot, please.

Just now, jmmagicfan said:

No more guys who need to learn how to shoot, please.

Normally I would agree, but I just love everything else about his game. Think he can be like a souped up version of what Fultz is now. Could even play him as a wing. But I would agree his fit on the court with pure current players is clunky

Portland is the most interesting team in the lottery. If they keep the pick, keep Dame and Charlotte drafts Miller, do they draft Scoot? If so, then that'd leave Simons as the odd man out, and I think we should jump on that and bring him back home. 

But in all, I think they should trade Dame and Nurkic and build around a young core of Sharpe, Simons and Scoot/Miller.

• Like 1

Fred Katz
@FredKatz
Just emerged from the drawing room of the lottery, where San Antonio didn’t just win the first pick. Spurs got drawn TWO more times in the lottery, so they had to redo multiple picks. Destiny was on their side tonight

The San Antonio Spurs won the NBA Draft lottery and the right to select Victor Wembanyama with the ping pong ball combo 14, 5, 8, 2. The Portland Trail Blazers held the combination 14, 5, 8, 3. They missed by just one number on the final ball.

29 minutes ago, DestroidMengars said:

Are those of you rooting for the Magic to take Dick envisioning him as a starting shooting guard or a backup small forward? I worry about his ability to guard players at the two guard spot. While he hustles and you can't question his effort on that end, he's kind of slow and weak and I worry that he'll give up more points than he gets you. I prefer Hendricks for the 3-and-d potential; he can spread the floor a bit and won't likely give up more points than he nets you.

they said the the same thing about JJ redick

“When you have a great commitment to winning like J.J. does and you play hard and you’re tough and you’re smart as hell, you’re gonna be a pretty good defender, especially as a team guy,” Van Gundy said. “Smart, tough guys who want to win, it usually won’t be too hard for them to pick up the defense.”

Loser: Scoot Henderson

The Hornets have LaMelo Ball. The Blazers have Lillard. The Rockets have Jalen Green. Not to overthink this too much, but which one of these teams is champing at the bit to draft a 6-foot-2 guard with a suspect jump shot? Will the Magic—a team that may want some more shot creation in its backcourt—consider packaging no. 6 and no. 11 to move up and get him?

Will the Hornets take Henderson, roster construction be damned, and figure the rest out later, or will they strike a swap with the Blazers, knowing Portland would rather have Brandon Miller? There’s so much to contemplate right now. But as things stand, it’s safe to say that Henderson won’t go to an ideal destination.
https://www.theringer.com/nba-draft/2023/5/16/23726486/nba-draft-lottery-victor-wembanyama-spurs

First ESPN mock by Givony has: 

6. Ausar Thompson

11. Jordan Hawkins

36. Brandon Podziemski

Love 6 and 36. At 11 he still had some guys I like over Hawkins available (Wallace, Bufkin, Miller, George) but wouldn't grumble at Hawkins either. 

I expect people won't like 6 with Cam Whitmore, Taylor Hendricks, Ant Black and Gradey Dick on the board. 

Some noticeable changes to Givonys rankings:

Noah Clowney at 16 feels like a big rise. Don't feel I've seen him top 20 many places. 

Bilal Coulibaly at 22. Suggests, with KOC moving him first round also, that teams view him as a FRP. 

James Nnaji at 23. Feel a bit higher than where he's been.

Andre Jackson Jr first round. That must be real buzz for a couple guys to move him there.

GG Jackson at 32 is a slide. 

Strawther in the 50s feels low but that could just be me higher on him.

My take.. First initial thought was that i was mad, that we gave up the draft position to Portland with meaningless wins.. Same situation happened when we could have been in Dallas spot, who went on to draft Doncic (because they were in a better position to offer Atlanta)

Difference is pick number 3…

The good thing is that our roster is already deep on young talent and we are missing that one piece. FO is gonna decide which direction it will go. 

My guess is that either Ausar Thompson is available at 6 or Cam Whitmore. 

a)Now do we go on and draft two rookies? If so we gonna have to make decisions on either C. Anthony, Okeke, Houstan probably. 

b) or do we package 6 and 11 to move up to 2 or 3?

c) package 6 and 11 and possibly Harris and maybe others for a significant player.

- Simins

- Bridges

- Zion Williamson 

are on my list!

my favorite scenario would be b) or c).. Either one is great for the franchise. Option a) is a bad scenario imo.. I like the prospects but they honestly don’t change this franchise too much

Scoot has that dawg in him, as the kids say. Not the ideal archetype when you think Championship but I truly belive his injury-free floor is Westbrook/Morant/Rose.

6 and 11 would be a hefty price, but something to think about.

17 minutes ago, Mauro Pedrosa said:

Scoot has that dawg in him, as the kids say. Not the ideal archetype when you think Championship but I truly belive his injury-free floor is Westbrook/Morant/Rose.

6 and 11 would be a hefty price, but something to think about.

Nobody's floor is Westbrook/Morant/Rose. 

That's 2 MVPs. And 3 All Stars. 

His floor is like Jeff Teague or Dennis Smith Jr or something. 

I'd still consider trading up for him though if the cost wasn't much more than 6 + 11.

It really depends how we feel about Fultz, you don't trade for Scoot if you're not starting him at PG but there's no way you can play Scoot and Fultz together. 

I think most likely scenario is we use both picks. 

It's going to be an exciting month though. All being well this is the last time we'll be picking top 10 for the next few years so we could do with getting this right. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Nobody's floor is Westbrook/Morant/Rose. 

That's 2 MVPs. And 3 All Stars. 

His floor is like Jeff Teague or Dennis Smith Jr or something. 

I'd still consider trading up for him though if the cost wasn't much more than 6 + 11.

It really depends how we feel about Fultz, you don't trade for Scoot if you're not starting him at PG but there's no way you can play Scoot and Fultz together. 

Right, I was overly excited with my analysis. His floor would be like a Derrick White level contributor but with a different skillset.

The bold is what's really important. I think Fultz is a great guy and has undeniable talent, but I wonder if we'll have to move him to the bench to take the next step as a team.