Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

I have decided I have two dream draft outcomes in this draft. I think one of them will be very popular with Magic fans and one of them will be very unpopular. 

Dream Option 1 - Draft a bunch of shooting. Basically pick 2 of Dick, Hawkins, Jett, Keyonte and then pick Brandin Podziemski in round 2 Basically just a boat load of shooting to go around Paolo/Franz. 

Dream Option 2 - Chaos. We get both the Thompson twins. Does it make sense? Do they fit? How would it work? Is it even possible? (Probably not) Who cares. I think they're incredible and it'd be hilarious to watch people melt down about not drafting shooting only to lose their minds when they see some of the stuff they do in summer league. 

I think in reality we'll end up with neither of those things and just rather sensibly take who we think is BPA at both picks before trading 35 because we don't want to carry 3 rookies. And like, that'll be fine and it'll probably work out. But I genuinely think I'd be more excited if we drafted Dick and Hawkins/Jett than if we drafted, for example Walker and Wallace (two prospects who in a vacuum, and seemingly by consensus are more well regarded than any of Dick/Jett/Hawkins). And I think the reason for that is I think BPA is kind of an important but also flawed concept because a player can only ever be as good as the situation he's in allows and our situation is absolutely screaming for some flame throwers where it's not at all screaming for another true PF for example. 

Seeing Ja Williams and now Sharpe go off shows we can get talent throughout the lottery. This draft will determine just how far WeltHam can take us as a true playoff contender.

Wemby is destined to be the next great Spur big man, I bet. Every time San Antonio bottoms out for a year they get rewarded big time and don’t have to worry for the next 20

4 minutes ago, All Eyes On Me said:

Wemby is destined to be the next great Spur big man, I bet. Every time San Antonio bottoms out for a year they get rewarded big time and don’t have to worry for the next 20

Take it back, AEOM. He's destined to be the Timmy we never signed in O-Town. 

• Like 1

If you look at who WeltHam have drafted in the first round there's a few things that generally seem to link them: Positional size and length, solid passing, defense or at the very least defensive potential, potential to be a competent shooter. 

(Not every prospect we drafted ticks every box but I feel in general those are the things we're looking at. The competent shooters one might raise eyebrows but we haven't ever drafted total non shooters really, everyone has had at least competent track records as shooters which we've bet on improving - with mixed results. Suggs for example has been bad in the NBA but results in college were pretty encouraging even if nobody thought he was a sniper, he shot the same percentage from 3 in college as Franz they've just had very different times in the NBA) 

With that criteria in mind I think Cason Wallace might be a WeltHam guy. An absolute menace on defense, good but somewhat safe passer, competent looking jumper. Seems like the type of guy you might want to play with 2 star forwards to be fair. 

I'd like to think, somewhat out of hope, Gradey Dick might also be too but it depends how favourably you/they view his defense.