Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

6 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Cam Whitmore I think is my leading candidate at pick 5ish. Just a thick, strong, athletic wing with good catch and shoot numbers, can handle it a bit, fast hands on defense. Not a good passer at the moment but theoretically he'd be playing mostly off ball with us anyway. Reminds me a little of Jaylen Brown. 

You are probably looking at Ausar Thompson, Walker, Whitmore, George, Wallace, Smith, or Black in that range based on Tankathon/ESPN rankings, and quite frankly, it's really hard to rank them because of the range of competition, injury history (Smith), and limits on national coverage. This always seems to be the toughest part of the draft to make the right choice. You can pick the obvious, media-supported choice; you can go against the grain; and either way you can look like an idiot a year later (or a genius!).  If we just go with the current rankings, we would be picking #5 and #9 (Bulls). I am very leery about the Thompson twins, I have some doubts about Smith, and Black's shooting (or lack thereof) worries me as well.

I think if we can come out of this draft with Wallace, and one of Walker, Whitmore, Dick, or Hendriks I would be very happy. Wallace reminds me a bit of Suggs with better 3pt shooting, maybe a little less helter-skelter. I like him as a backup PG slot. I wish there was a decent backup C, but I don't believe in reaching for need, so I think we have to go with whomever the F.O. and scouting thinks are the BPA at our slots. I think Dick has the best shooting of the bunch. 

48 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Cam Whitmore I think is my leading candidate at pick 5ish. Just a thick, strong, athletic wing with good catch and shoot numbers, can handle it a bit, fast hands on defense. Not a good passer at the moment but theoretically he'd be playing mostly off ball with us anyway. Reminds me a little of Jaylen Brown. 

I like him, too. He’s a man-child on the wing. 

Damn I had UCLA winning the whole thing. Feel like if they had Adem Bona at C might have pulled the win out over Gonzaga but oh well. 

Ant Black had a good showing while Arkansas got stomped by UConn. 

Keyontae Johnson might be a guy to consider in the second round. He's 23 and he turns the ball over a lot but 6'5ish wing, solid athlete, shoots the 3 ball pretty well on limited attempts. Looks the part of a bench wing in the NBA. 

Also it's a damn shame Markquis Nowell isn't a half a foot taller because he's an incredible playmaker and just had the game of his life to beat MSU but there's basically no chance a 5'7 guard makes the NBA. 

Didn't realize that Sam Vecenie is saying Scoot is the best guard he's evaluated in the last eight years. That's crazy high praise. I need to watch him.

Well this is something...

It’s not an accident that Arkansas is 15 points per 100 possessions better when Black is on the court versus when he’s off it per Pivot Analysis, and he’s the only player on Arkansas with whom the team is better both on offense and defense when he’s on the court. He makes his teammates better, and his presence helps his team. 

https://theathletic.com/4156999/2023/02/16/nba-mock-draft-walker-wembanyama-henderson/

6 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Also it's a damn shame Markquis Nowell isn't a half a foot taller because he's an incredible playmaker and just had the game of his life to beat MSU but there's basically no chance a 5'7 guard makes the NBA. 

Muggsey Bogues and Spud Webb say hi! Not likely he could make it in today’s NBA at 5’7”, but not 100% impossible.

I don't think there is any way we end up with the fifth best lottery odds. Portland is in the middle of an epic tank job, Indiana isn't trying too hard and Washington just isn't very good. With all that the Magic seem to be trying their best every game and really jelling as a team. Where will that leave us, seventh, eighth maybe? I guess after the top two or three players in this draft the next group just boils down to need and preference. This is where management and scouting make their money. I say keep winning and let karma sort it out.

Odds in finishing 5th or 7th are not that different, and we need a winning environment and mentality for next season, go on with the next game and hopefully a W!

4 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

Brandon Miller with 9 points, 3-19, 1-10 from 3 and 6 turnovers as Bama get eliminated. 

I love that he struggled. Kind of flattens out the field after Victor.

I’m watching FAU vs. Kansas State and I am really impressed with Markquis Nowell. I’m not sure if he will be in the draft, but I would give him a long look at 35.