Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

19 minutes ago, ball junkie said:

Or draft somebody or hire a coach that can teach 3 point defense …good grief we’ve been lit up like a Christmas tree from the arc the last month or so .

Why I hated Jonathan Issac injury so much …you could tell he was gonna upgrade our defense in a major way .

And it also speaks to why Wallace would seemingly be a great fit on our team. I'm not sure if he'll be more than George Hill, but he checks a lot of boxes we need checked: Perimeter defense, shooting and playmaking.

More than anything in this draft I'm fascinated at how this front office in particular approaches it. Most likely outcome is 2 picks in the lotto that are both outside of the Top 5. Do they swing for BPA at both? Do they try and add complimentary pieces to Franz/Paolo? 1 of each? Trade one or both for an immediate contributor? Trade up?

And there are a bunch of guys I could conceivably believe this front office would like and at the minute it doesn't feel like there's much of a consensus outside of the top 3 or 4 guys. And we really won't know who we actually like until the draft comes because we don't leak anything.

Honestly it feels like the season is winding down so I'm ready for draft season to hit full swing (alas it's 3 months away).

2 hours ago, CTMagicUK said:

More than anything in this draft I'm fascinated at how this front office in particular approaches it. Most likely outcome is 2 picks in the lotto that are both outside of the Top 5. Do they swing for BPA at both? Do they try and add complimentary pieces to Franz/Paolo? 1 of each? Trade one or both for an immediate contributor? Trade up?

And there are a bunch of guys I could conceivably believe this front office would like and at the minute it doesn't feel like there's much of a consensus outside of the top 3 or 4 guys. And we really won't know who we actually like until the draft comes because we don't leak anything.

Honestly it feels like the season is winding down so I'm ready for draft season to hit full swing (alas it's 3 months away).

NBA DRAFT LOTTERY 2023: Tue, May 16, 2023

He's not been as noticed playing with Jett Howard at Michigan but I think Kobe Bufkin is a first round pick and I think he has a skill set that is really desirable to us, smooth lefty 6'4 guard can shoot, shown flashes as a pull up shooter, plays defense, makes smart plays. A sophomore but not even 20 yet, younger than some freshman. Quite thin, doesn't get to the FT line a great deal, not huge volume on the jumper so not exactly a sure thing there but it looks good. 

Might be a reach taking him lotto but we'll see what happens with his predraft stuff, if he has good workouts who knows. 

13 minutes ago, jmmagicfan said:

I’ve seen projections for him in the early 2nd round, so maybe with 35?!?

Be surprised if he's on the board at 35. He's a first round talent and if he doesn't get first round buzz he'll probably go back to school. 

42 minutes ago, CTMagicUK said:

Be surprised if he's on the board at 35. He's a first round talent and if he doesn't get first round buzz he'll probably go back to school. 

He wouldn't be the first to get first round buzz, come out, and then slip into the early 2nd. I would hope not for his sake, but might hope so for ours.  He's been on my radar, but as you said, if he doesn't get the buzz, he'll probably go back. 

Cam Whitmore I think is my leading candidate at pick 5ish. Just a thick, strong, athletic wing with good catch and shoot numbers, can handle it a bit, fast hands on defense. Not a good passer at the moment but theoretically he'd be playing mostly off ball with us anyway. Reminds me a little of Jaylen Brown.