Soul Bro

2022-2023 Draft Thread

Speaking of next year, ESPN put out their first 2024 mock draft and had the magic taking Bronny at 10. I don’t think we will be at 10, but I would absolutely pick him knowing that it would bring Lebron. I don’t know how he would fit but he would immediately put us in title contention 

4 minutes ago, Jason Funderburker said:

Speaking of next year, ESPN put out their first 2024 mock draft and had the magic taking Bronny at 10. I don’t think we will be at 10, but I would absolutely pick him knowing that it would bring Lebron. I don’t know how he would fit but he would immediately put us in title contention 

I realize how good he still is, but I’d really rather not have the LeBron show here. Imagine him trying to pressure the FO into trading some of our young guys for some washed up bum 

1 hour ago, O_SteveO said:

I realize how good he still is, but I’d really rather not have the LeBron show here. Imagine him trying to pressure the FO into trading some of our young guys for some washed up bum 

I don’t imagine he would sign long term. I feel like he’s said he wants to play a season with his son before retiring. And outside of AD, he hasn’t really pushed for any of his “friends” in LA. Don’t think any of the guys they acquired at the trade deadline would qualify as washes up bums.

in any case I don’t think Weltman would give in to sacrificing the long term like that. 

(Tho really I think the only thing that Lebron would need to push for is the exact thing that we all know we need - shooting and a 2)

12 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

I don’t imagine he would sign long term. I feel like he’s said he wants to play a season with his son before retiring. And outside of AD, he hasn’t really pushed for any of his “friends” in LA. Don’t think any of the guys they acquired at the trade deadline would qualify as washes up bums.

in any case I don’t think Weltman would give in to sacrificing the long term like that. 

(Tho really I think the only thing that Lebron would need to push for is the exact thing that we all know we need - shooting and a 2)

I think you’re probably right about the long term deal. I was thinking specifically about the 21-22 year when they literally traded away all their shooters and defenders to roll out lineups with Russ, Carmelo, Dwight (was DeAndre Jordon on that team too?) and before the season tweeted and deleted this extremely dramatic movie type promo about “keep talking about how my team can’t shoot, and we’re old, and we can’t stay healthy, etc, and keep that same energy when it all happens.” And then all of that came true and they were terrible lmao

16 hours ago, O_SteveO said:

15 hours ago, Jason Funderburker said:

I am not really a LeBron fan either, but having said that, a starting line-up of Fultz/Franz/Lebron/Paolo/Wendell, with Bronny/Suggs/Houstan/Isaac/Moe coming off the bench and Anthony/Okeke and two 2023 1st rounders filling out the team doesn't sound bad to me. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, jmmagicfan said:

I am not really a LeBron fan either, but having said that, a starting line-up of Fultz/Franz/Lebron/Paolo/Wendell, with Bronny/Suggs/Houstan/Isaac/Moe coming off the bench and Anthony/Okeke and two 2023 1st rounders filling out the team doesn't sound bad to me. 

NO WAY LEBRON PLAYS FOR THE MAGIC, NEVER EVER !!!

In 2019, the Orlando Magic defeated (stick it) to LeBron James and the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Finals !!!!

Cleveland Cavaliers v Orlando Magic, Game 6

Think Bronny is mostly hype myself. We'll see how he plays in college but a year of LeBron isn't going to entice me to pick him. 

And even if he's actually legit we might not be a lottery team next draft.

• Upvote 1

There is no mid to upper lotto guy's on my list like last year. Both Murray and Mathurin were firmly in my must draft slots if our pick fell back. Others wanted Sharpe or Ivey. I actually liked Duren or AJ Griffin as later lotto guys. Also a big fan of taking a chance like OKC did and drafting the fast riser that was Jalen Williams. We need guys that can come in with some kind of established talent, even though they are 19-21 years old.

Now this year i do not know the players....yet. I will be watching the tournament. I have watched a few videos on Victor and Scoot and of course i saw Brandon Miller highlights even before the controversy. 

I can't tell anything about the Thompson twins watching videos, you guys will have to tell me more. I guess outside Brandon my must draft college players for the Magic are Keyante George and Carson Wallace. Full disclosure i picked Wallace simply because he is a Kentucky Guard who is under the radar and they always turn out decent.

Honestly think this draft is kind of good for us but weak overall for teams looking for a star outside of Wemby/Scoot/possibly Brandon Miller.

Lots of off ball scorer types and wings but nobody that I'm super confident about being a certified star. 

I have Amen Thompson at 4 on account of him being a 6'7, 1 in a million athlete, who can handle the ball and play make. But his competition level, his half court finishing, his shooting all massive question marks at best and outright weaknesses at worst. 

The next group of like 5-14 is a mess and I can't make sense of who I have ranked where at all but that group is like (this isn't in an order but I definitely thought of the top 5ish names in the list first so make of that what you will): 

Keyonte George

Nick Smith

Gradey Dick

Jett Howard

Aussar Thompson

Cam Whitmore

Jarrace Walker

Anthony Black

Bruce Sensabaugh

Rayan Rupert

Of that group the only guy I think is a tough draft for us specifically is Jarrace Walker. Only because he's a PF and I struggle to find a world where we have any minutes at PF for a rookie next season. I tend to preach BPA but it only makes sense to draft guys you actually have a role for on your team. 

The rest are all wings and guards and I'd be happy, or could talk myself into being happy, with any of them. 

Still can't get away from the feeling that Gradey Dick would just be such a powerful addition to this team, we're desperate for some shooting gravity. 

• Upvote 1